Point Test questions

marcosvr

Hi All :I am new in the forum and I have a common question about the points needed for the visa.I am software engineer and I would like to apply for the skilled visa 189. My question is regarding the points of each factor, I am trying to understand if I have the minimum of 60 points.1) Age: at moment I have 39, so 25 points, but I will be 41 next year so what should be the rule in this case? I get the points at the beginning of the application with 39 or at the end with 41? I am assuming that if I apply today if will take around one year.2) English language ability: I read that it is not possible to apply and make the test in the middle right? So I have to do the test first of apply? Like says: “Test results must be no older than three years immediately before the day on which the visa application was made”.In addition and related with this point: I believe I have an intermediate level, how long it will take to be ready for the English test? Before to receive responses like: it will depends of your effort, your current level and if you do alone or with professors, I just want to have in general an idea of the time considering I am an active worker and my available time is during the night and weekends basically.3) Skilled employment: in order to obtain the maximum of 20 points for this factors, I understand that I can get 15 for some specific skills and 5 for another skill related with the first one. In my case I am programmer it is valid to try to request 15 for web development and other 5 for database development?A big question mark I have here is that: to be awarded with 15 points for at least 8 years of experience, I need the references of the company where I am working and I am not sure if tell them that I will leave the company in one year or less will give me problems like: they decide to search for a replacement. Even If I have good relationships. Any suggestions about this?4) Qualifications: what is the maximum point I can obtain here? I have bachelor degree and some IT certifications. Can I get 15 points for my bachelor degree and 10 for my IT certification?Any other qualification:You can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority.5) Australian study requirement: it is possible to do some online course of one month or two from an Australian institution and be qualified to get the 5 points for this item?6) Other Factors: what is the maximum point or combination I can get in this factor? Credentialled community language qualifications: if I speak other langue additional to English they will give more points? Do I need the language certification?Partner skill qualifications: my wife is not an IT professional and is studying English can I get some points if she past the English test?Thanks !

new version :)

_

Hi All:

_

I am new in the forum and I have a common question about the points needed for the visa.I am software engineer and I would like to apply for the skilled visa 189. My question is regarding the points of each factor, I am trying to understand if I have the minimum of 60 points.

_

1) Age: at moment I have 39, so 25 points, but I will be 41 next year so what should be the rule in this case? I get the points at the beginning of the application with 39 or at the end with 41? I am assuming that if I apply today if will take around one year.

_

2) English language ability: I read that it is not possible to apply and make the test in the middle right? So I have to do the test first of apply? Like says: “Test results must be no older than three years immediately before the day on which the visa application was made”.

_

In addition and related with this point: I believe I have an intermediate level, how long it will take to be ready for the English test? Before to receive responses like: it will depends of your effort, your current level and if you do alone or with professors, I just want to have in general an idea of the time considering I am an active worker and my available time is during the night and weekends basically.

_

3) Skilled employment: in order to obtain the maximum of 20 points for this factors, I understand that I can get 15 for some specific skills and 5 for another skill related with the first one. In my case I am programmer it is valid to try to request 15 for web development and other 5 for database development?

_

A big question mark I have here is that: to be awarded with 15 points for at least 8 years of experience, I need the references of the company where I am working and I am not sure if tell them that I will leave the company in one year or less will give me problems like: they decide to search for a replacement. Even If I have good relationships.

Any suggestions about this?

_

4) Qualifications: what is the maximum point I can obtain here? I have bachelor degree and some IT certifications. Can I get 15 points for my bachelor degree and 10 for my IT certification?

Any other qualification:You can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority.

_

5) Australian study requirement: it is possible to do some online course of one month or two from an Australian institution and be qualified to get the 5 points for this item?

_

6) Other Factors: what is the maximum point or combination I can get in this factor? Credentialled community language qualifications: if I speak other langue additional to English they will give more points? Do I need the language certification?Partner skill qualifications: my wife is not an IT professional and is studying English can I get some points if she past the English test?

_

Thanks !

Your age is counted from when u apply n remains at that...you do the English test first then you know how many points you can claim, it's up to you how long it takes to prepare, I just booked it n went n done it...u could tell your work you are thinking of moving on in the next five years but nothing is certain you would just like the option...you can only claim for one qualification I think....your partner needs to have acceptable level of English but you don't get points for that....have you been on immi website n done the points calculator and read info coz it will answer all your questions properly

You're 39 at the moment, and 41 next year? No 40 inbetween? :P

Do you mind me asking when your birthday is? (Month and year will do!)

My skill is software developer. I did my IELTS first, then it took 3 months for ACS to assess my skills. Then I had to wait around 1 month for invite from my EOI, then it was another 3 or 4 months to get the visa grant.

You need a skills assessment and language test BEFORE you fill in your EOI.

Skilled employment: you don't get 15 points for one skill, and then 5 points for another. You can only go through this process by showing you are skilled at ONE particular occupation.

The DIBP website explains the criteria fairly clearly....

1. Age is the age you are at the time you are invited.

2. You need evidence of English proficiency that is valid at the time you apply.

3. Once you get your skills assessment, you can claim points for relevant work experience (in your nominated occupation) after they say you became skilled. To get a letter from your current employer, perhaps tell them you need a letter for applying for membership in a professional association so they need a list of your job responsibilities.

4. You can only claim points for one qualification

5. The Australian study requirement is very specific, but is generally 2 years of studying in Australia.

6. To claim points for other languages, I believe you need to be a NAATI-certified translator, but hopefully someone else can confirm this. To claim points for your wife, she needs to get a positive skills assessment for a job on the same occupation list as yours (both on SOL or both on CSOL), as well as competent English and under 50 years old.

so for the point 3, skilled employment it is possible to get the 20 points right?

I read that in the https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189- says:

Skilled employment

Only 20 points can be awarded for any combination of skilled employment in and outside Australia

do you have some example about what can be "any combination of skilled employment", just to understand if I am able to clain for the 20 points.

Thanks

so for the point 3, skilled employment it is possible to get the 20 points right?

I don't understand perfectly the meaning of this:

Any periods of employment in a closely related occupation must be undertaken at the equivalent skill level of your nominated occupation. This means that any employment that you claim as ‘closely related’ to your nominated occupation should be:>/b>

•in the same ANZSCO Unit Group. For example, the occupations of Management Accountant and Taxation Accountant are in the same group, or

•consistent with a career advancement pathway. For example, Accountant to Chief Financial Officer, or

•where the relevant assessing authority has determined that the employment is closely related to the nominated occupation.

What does means? that any related ocupation out of the period mentioned like my skilled employment should be considered? or during the same period I am declaring my experience should I find some related skill in order to get other additional 5 points. What should be an acceptable conbination of skills valid to claim the 20 points for a Programmer?

Thanks

I read that in the https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189- says:

Skilled employment

Only 20 points can be awarded for any combination of skilled employment in and outside Australia

do you have some example about what can be "any combination of skilled employment", just to understand if I am able to clain for the 20 points.

Thanks

You could get 20 points for employment if you worked in Australia (on-shore) for 8+ years out of the previous 10 years *OR* a combination of on-shore and off-shore employment (e.g. 5+ years employment OUTSIDE Australia (10 points) + 3+ year employment INSIDE Australia (10 points). So 10 points + 10 points = 20 points.

Thanks again ! means that I only can clain for 15 points as I never worked in Australia. I hope at least this is possible if not I am well cooked :)

That's correct. If you've never worked in Australia, then it's 15 points maximum for skilled employment.

You do have 8+ years skilled employment during the past 10 years, don't you?

Is your degree/higher education related to your chosen skilled occupation? When did you pass it?

yes 8+ years and more.

I am system engineer, and my bachelor degree includes system and software side, so yes it is related.

I have focus into the english test now.

4 or 5 months of intensive english should be good enough? just to have an idea.

Is this how your points look?

- 33-39 years of age (25 points)

- 8+ years experience outside Australia skilled employment (15 points)

- Bachelor degree (15 points)

- Proficient English (10 points)

= 65 points

???

Without the Proficient English, you have 55 points, which means you could go for a 190 subclass visa (you would need a state to nominate you - best bets are VIC or NSW).

Questions:

a) When is your 40th birthday?

b) What date did you acquire your bachelors degree?

It really is impossible for anyone to tell you, with limited online interaction via a forum, how long it will take you to crack the English test. From what you've written, your English is already "proficient". You do however need to work on your grammar (and using more “filling words”….for the lack of knowing what the term is) , as it's easy to spot that you're not a native English speaker … not that native English speakers have immaculate grammar, but you make common mistakes I would usually associate with someone coming from somewhere where English is not the main language. That’s not meant in any insulting way and I hope you don’t read it as such.

Going down the 190 route, will impose a moral obligation to stay in the sponsoring region for 2 years, though it's not a condition of your visa. Interpret that, in any way you want ;)

Nice ! thanks a lot ! Yes I am not english native, but I will do my best to improve my english and pass the test.I don't use any trasletor to write, I just have the english I learned in the primary school, and the rest is practice. So as you said, I use simple sentences and simple words. I think you really understood what kind of english I have :)

Does the visa 190 affects the salary negotiation at moment to do a job interview?

To put it bluntly, if you're on a work sponsored Visa, then theoretically they could be squeezing you, as they have you by the short and curlies. Whether it's legal etc, I don't know, most likely not... but it will happen.

A 190 on the other hand is a permanent visa, just like the 189. This means that you are not dependant on anyone, and can demand whatever you feel your selling value is. Whether the company chooses to pay what you think you're worth... well, that' no different than anywhere else in the world I guess :)

birthday: 30 of july

Bachelor degree I got on: August 205

exactly, without proficient I get 55, what should I do? Try the 189 or is a risk?

what should be the benefit or lose with the 190? I would like to live in Queensland

So you turn 40 y/o in 10.5 months time.

I think you have enough time to keep those 25 points for your age, if you get the ball rolling NOW (I cannot stress this enough!). Start getting referrences from previous employers NOW!

Check out the 190 visa page: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/190-

Have a look at Queensland's page on here: http://skillselect.govspace.gov.au/2013/04/26/i-am-seeking-state-or-territory-government-nomination/

Check Queensland's SOL. It appears that 2613xx codes aren't on there (which is why i said try VIC or NSW earlier). Last time I checked they were both sponsoring for a 190 visa. It's worth mentioning that you have to live+work in that state which sponsors you for 2 years, but it's only a moral

obligation (search for more info).

Regarding your 8+ years experience. I believe the first 2 years of relevant employment AFTER you got your degree (in Aug 2005) will not count towards the points calculation, so assuming you were employed for 2 years solid after Aug 2005, your skills employment actually commenced in Aug 2007, meaning you've only just managed to get 8 years experience from August 2015 (this assumes there are NO gaps in your employment).

Archived