Regional area for Queensland changing?

Mr and Mrs Holmesy

Hi there,

I will be looking to go for a 489 visa (family sponsored) in a couple of years after I have completed my Masters degree.

Someone has mentioned to me that they think the designated area will be changing....particularly on the Sunshine Coast. My sister lives near Caloundra with the postcode 4551 and this (apparently) will be scrapped from the designated area....?

Just wondered if anyone else had heard this?

Many thanks

Mrs H

Hi there,

I will be looking to go for a 489 visa (family sponsored) in a couple of years after I have completed my Masters degree.

Someone has mentioned to me that they think the designated area will be changing....particularly on the Sunshine Coast. My sister lives near Caloundra with the postcode 4551 and this (apparently) will be scrapped from the designated area....?

Just wondered if anyone else had heard this?

Many thanks

Mrs H

That's interesting information, and not something that I was aware of. Do you know the source of the information?

By the way, I loved the time I spent in Caloundra, I spent a lot of it on Dicky Beach.

They informed me by email on 17th August they had a new list coming out "within the next few weeks" so I guess we will find out soon

Although this was regarding the occupations on their SOL and CSOL I guess any changes regarding regional postcodes would be done then too

Yes that possible I guess. When you say they, do you mean 'Migration Queensland'?

They informed me by email on 17th August they had a new list coming out "within the next few weeks" so I guess we will find out soon

Although this was regarding the occupations on their SOL and CSOL I guess any changes regarding regional postcodes would be done then too

You are mixing up some different things I think. Australia has a federal government and state governments. The federal government (national) controls visas and visa regulations. They will decide the rules around the 489 visa and this includes what postcodes are regional or designated.

The state government does not set visa rules, they can sponsor some applications if they so wish and this will be based upon the occupations in need that they perceive in their state. So if Migrate Queensland told you they were coming up with a new list, it is purely their sponsored occupation list. They have no say in the 489 visa regulations and will most definitely not be updating post codes.

Good point, thank you

I thought any postcode changes would occur at the same time but maybe not ?

No, it is two completely different things done by completely separate entities.

One is merely a list of occupations produced by a state government.

The postcodes are determined by federal government, like all visa regulations.

Alan Collett is a regular poster on this forum, and would likely be aware of possible changes. If he's posted that then he would likely be referring to what's required for the visa (federal and/or state). However keep in mind that the changes are just possible. If you won't be apply for a couple more years, there are many changes that could take place between now and then so always good to keep an eye on the changing landscape.

Yes, we were told of this likely change by the Qld Government several months ago - but until the Federal Government changes the underlying legislation pertaining to the definition of regional areas in the context of subclass 489 visas and condition 8539 the situation is unchanged.

I would be progressing matters on the basis that living and working on the Sunshine Coast is still permitted by condition 8539 until the position is definitely changed.

=> Don't delay and get your application in!

Best regards.

PS. Remember also that State Sponsored is not the same as family sponsored: the former has an 8539 condition (requirement to live and work in a regional area of Australia) while the latter has an 8549 condition (must live and work in a designated area of Australia).

The blog on the GM Skilled website relates to 8539, not 8549.

Best regards,

Archived