189 visa 19yr old included, Q on education, dependency and jobs

My son will be 19 when we apply for our 189 visa next year hopefully around Easter time.

At the moment he is in college here in the UK - hospitality nvqlevel3 and he has a part time job in local pub/restaurant. His plan is to finish college here then follow us over if we have already left.

questions for you guys....

is is there a time frame for when he needs to present in oz to start his visa, if me and husband have already left the UK.?

we were not planning on him going to college/education in Australia because it seems very expensive so thinking he could work full time - is this ok in our visa? Or does he have to go into education?

what evidence will we need to show that he is dependent on us - he does live at home with us but he earns his own spending money, so other than food, shelter and the odd few clothes from us that's it. We don't transfer any money to him via bank just give him cash where needed, our agent is being a bit vague with the amount he can earn and what we should be doing !

He has worked full time hours over the summer holiday but this will be reducing now he's back in college.

The first thing to consider is that he will need to still be in full time education at the time you apply. If he isn't, then it can get tricky to have in on your visa.

If he is on your visa, he will have 12 months from the date of medical or police check, which ever was earliest, to enter Australia. This can just be for a holiday, as once this is done, he has 5 years from the date of grant to make the move.

He would have his own visa and full work rights once in Australia.

My son will be 19 when we apply for our 189 visa next year hopefully around Easter time.

At the moment he is in college here in the UK - hospitality nvqlevel3 and he has a part time job in local pub/restaurant. His plan is to finish college here then follow us over if we have already left.

questions for you guys....

is is there a time frame for when he needs to present in oz to start his visa, if me and husband have already left the UK.?

we were not planning on him going to college/education in Australia because it seems very expensive so thinking he could work full time - is this ok in our visa? Or does he have to go into education?

what evidence will we need to show that he is dependent on us - he does live at home with us but he earns his own spending money, so other than food, shelter and the odd few clothes from us that's it. We don't transfer any money to him via bank just give him cash where needed, our agent is being a bit vague with the amount he can earn and what we should be doing !

He has worked full time hours over the summer holiday but this will be reducing now he's back in college.

Living with you and being in full time education should be enough for him to be considered dependent and get a visa, so long as he remains so until the visa is granted.

And whilst he is on your visa application, he won't be "on your visa", you all get your own individual 189 visas and they all have the same rights. So he will be as free to do what he wants as the rest of you. One thing he will need to do is validate the visa by travelling to Australia by the date that is given to you all upon grant.

The first thing to consider is that he will need to still be in full time education at the time you apply. If he isn't, then it can get tricky to have in on your visa.

If he is on your visa, he will have 12 months from the date of medical or police check, which ever was earliest, to enter Australia. This can just be for a holiday, as once this is done, he has 5 years from the date of grant to make the move.

He would have his own visa and full work rights once in Australia.

thanks for this info.

he's only doing part time course, I think he's doing 9-5pm and 9-10pm every week 8 + 13 hrs = 21 hrs in total - but is this enough for visa with us??

Living with you and being in full time education should be enough for him to be considered dependent and get a visa, so long as he remains so until the visa is granted.

And whilst he is on your visa application, he won't be "on your visa", you all get your own individual 189 visas and they all have the same rights. So he will be as free to do what he wants as the rest of you. One thing he will need to do is validate the visa by travelling to Australia by the date that is given to you all upon grant.

Thanks for this info.

I'm sure he won't be moving out he can't afford it and he'd never cope with household chores lol

• 7 months later...

Hi.My daughter was 19 when we applied for our 189 Visa. She was in college full time. We had a letter from the college, all the letter said was the date she started to present, and the name of her course,no mention of full or part time.She had a pocket money job but agent advised that we didn't need to mention this as she was mostly dependent on us. Good luck

Hi.My daughter was 19 when we applied for our 189 Visa. She was in college full time. We had a letter from the college, all the letter said was the date she started to present, and the name of her course,no mention of full or part time.She had a pocket money job but agent advised that we didn't need to mention this as she was mostly dependent on us. Good luck

Thanks.

Looking at your timeline, it didn't take long to get your visas granted.

Our agent is positive that we should be ok, our son stopped working his part time job over 2 months ago, so when we had to upload extra documents requested by CO, we advised them of this. We had provided the agent with loads of evidence of us paying for him, petrol, food, clothes, flights, etc plus college info, voting slips for address proof. I even had to write a letter to summarise everything we do for dependency proof!

It's only been about two weeks since the last lot of info (the letter), was front loaded according to our agent , but not sure if she is telling us everything when it happens.

Don't like not knowing or not being in control.

Hi, We had our visa granted a few weeks before it would probably been issued as my daughter was already in OZ on a tourist visa, she had been travelling with her older sister.A week after they arrived my daughter dislocated her knee then developed a blood clot so wouldn't have been able to fly and leave the country before her 3 months tourist visa ended.Agent passed info to co officer and our visa was granted the following day. I was lucky enough to have friends and family here who looked after her until my husband arrived. You appear to have provided a lot more info regarding your son than I had to for my daughter. Can't see why you would have any problem with visa. I think it's just a very stressful time waiting.

Anybody recently had a visa granted for their teenage dependent child? We are still waiting the news of ours and wondering how long it could take.

any advice would be great.

Isn't it a visa for all of you? The fact there is a teenage child on the application should not make it any different to any other 189 application, unless of course it is delayed because you have been asked for more evidence of dependency. But if you have not been asked, then no reason to worry.

Isn't it a visa for all of you? The fact there is a teenage child on the application should not make it any different to any other 189 application, unless of course it is delayed because you have been asked for more evidence of dependency. But if you have not been asked, then no reason to worry.

Our agent keeps telling me it's not just my visa! but I feel like she's saying this as if I'm stupid. So is it three separate visas or not,

I'm confused now then?!

The only extra info they have asked for ( according to our agent ) is regarding his dependency on us. We had already done the form 80 X 3 We also had supplied so much info ready for the application on his dependency on us, but not sure how much she actually uploaded initially.

I think its just frustrating as we can't see what and when they are contacting us via the agent.

Hi, We had our visa granted a few weeks before it would probably been issued as my daughter was already in OZ on a tourist visa, she had been travelling with her older sister.A week after they arrived my daughter dislocated her knee then developed a blood clot so wouldn't have been able to fly and leave the country before her 3 months tourist visa ended.Agent passed info to co officer and our visa was granted the following day. I was lucky enough to have friends and family here who looked after her until my husband arrived. You appear to have provided a lot more info regarding your son than I had to for my daughter. Can't see why you would have any problem with visa. I think it's just a very stressful time waiting.

Hope your daughter is on the mend , that sounds painful and stressful for you , with her being away from you.

I think we must have the really picky jobs worth CO on our case ha ha...

Just need to chill a bit I think maybe stop checking emails every day and perhaps it will get granted when we least expect it. We can't go until our flat sells anyway so that could take months anyway.

Thanks, my daughter is fine now, she needed to rethink a career choice as the knee will always be weak now, she was training to be a outdoor pursuits instructor .She is now an apprentice chef and loving it : ))) Whilst we were waiting for our visa someone on here set up a thread for people to follow who applied the same time, it was interesting to see visa's slowly but surely being granted. Are there any similar threads relating to your time line. roughly a week to three weeks after ours was granted I could see that most others from the thread were being granted visas .

Our agent keeps telling me it's not just my visa! but I feel like she's saying this as if I'm stupid. So is it three separate visas or not,

I'm confused now then?!

The only extra info they have asked for ( according to our agent ) is regarding his dependency on us. We had already done the form 80 X 3 We also had supplied so much info ready for the application on his dependency on us, but not sure how much she actually uploaded initially.

I think its just frustrating as we can't see what and when they are contacting us via the agent.

It is three visas, but it is only one application and they will be decided together. Applications do not take longer because there are extra people on them, unless someone has criminal convictions or medical issues of course. But otherwise only to the extent that it takes a few minutes to look at a few more passports and birth certificates.

It is three visas, but it is only one application and they will be decided together. Applications do not take longer because there are extra people on them, unless someone has criminal convictions or medical issues of course. But otherwise only to the extent that it takes a few minutes to look at a few more passports and birth certificates.

thanks

Thanks, my daughter is fine now, she needed to rethink a career choice as the knee will always be weak now, she was training to be a outdoor pursuits instructor .She is now an apprentice chef and loving it : ))) Whilst we were waiting for our visa someone on here set up a thread for people to follow who applied the same time, it was interesting to see visa's slowly but surely being granted. Are there any similar threads relating to your time line. roughly a week to three weeks after ours was granted I could see that most others from the thread were being granted visas .

Yes im following a few other feeds on visa timelines, I'm getting jealous as others are getting theirs though and we still waiting lol

I'm confused now then?!

No its not just your visa. You'll all hold PR in your own right. You may have been the primary applicant but each person will get their own visa IYKWIM.

[h=3]What this visa lets you do[/h]This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

• stay in Australia indefinitely

• work and study in Australia

• enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses

• apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)

• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence

• travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Archived