Australian birth certificate and British passport

Aussie Hopeful

Hi all,

wondered if if anyone can offer any advice.

After returning to the UK over a year ago we have decided to ping pong back to Oz for good. :chatterbox:

Myself, my wife and my eldest child are all permanent residents, but my daughter has an Australian birth certificate, a British passport, but is not featured on our visa. because of the hassle to get into London to get her an Australian passport, we have decided to wait until we get to Oz to get it.

However, I was wondering where we stand when entering the country in terms of whether they will allow her entry on a British passport if she is not on the visa, but has evidence of birthright. Has anyone else had this dilemma and would it be easier to arrange to have her on the visa? If so, what is the cost?

Any my help would be appreciated, as we are leaving in January.

Thanks

AH

I would have thought that as an Australian citizen she would need an Australian passport to enter. I do wonder if she could enter on a British passport with a tourist visa in it, but somehow I doubt it.

As she is already an Australian citizen it would be far better to just apply for her Australian passport whilst in the UK rather than trying to get her on your PR visa, which would be pretty pointless anyway.

Can she even go on a visa or apply for one if she is an Australian?

I'd think she would need an Aus passport to enter Aus. I don't think it's that much hassle (unless you live the other end of the country but you can book ahead to suit I'd think). Hubby went to London to apply for our sons passport. Made the appointment in advance, took the paperwork and was out again pretty quick. He travelled from the West Country so it was a day trip. Was straightforward enough and only he needed to go.

Edited by Guest
typo

An Australian citizen (which I presume your daughter is) cannot enter Australia on a non Australian Passport. I have witnessed a massive argument in Brisbane Airport where two Aussie women tried to enter on a British passport and the pair were dragged off into a room kicking and screaming....

Get her the Aussie passport to save that from happening to you.

Added: also an Australian Citizen is not eligible for a visa regardless of dual nationality.

Edited by CaptainC

They won't give her a visa because she is an Australian Citizen, so the airline may well refuse to let her on the flight as they face a large fine for allowing someone on without a visa, there is a chance the airline might contact the authorities to get clearance, but they may not, do you really want to risk that happening at the airport?

They won't give her a visa because she is an Australian Citizen, so the airline may well refuse to let her on the flight as they face a large fine for allowing someone on without a visa, there is a chance the airline might contact the authorities to get clearance, but they may not, do you really want to risk that happening at the airport?

Excellent point here about the airline. They have a responsibility to ensure the immigration status of a passenger that they carry into a country.

You will need to get an Australian passport, you will have major problems at the airport if you can not show a valid visa or appropriate passport. They will not be able to print the boarding pass. When we went to validate our visas my OH visa was not showing on the system and it took a couple of hrs for them to contact DIBP in Australia and get the boarding pass. even with a valid visa label in the passport it made no difference until it got sorted.