58yrs old Stupid to return to uk?

Guest jaq

Guest Jean RY

We're still here, and looking to go (wanna swap?) Can't give advice and don't think it's fair to (we can't compare), can only give current situation here. If coming, be careful where you go, check out the areas as where used to be good, probably now not. Prices here catastophic and taxed for everything possible. Much more violence, not only road rage, we now have supermarket rage (people being killed for alleged queue jumping). You know how we Brits feel about queues!!!!! 1 in 3 people are now armed with knives and knife attacks a daily occurence. Lots of racisit attacks and youth violence. Traffic hardly moves in many areas, cities and motorways especially. Petrol/diesel raising 1p a day, current price £1.32 per litre and still counting. People rude, very few know their neighbours, especially in towns and cities and everywhere is overcrowed. Community feel left in only a few areas. Price houses atrocious and generally difficult for first time buyers to get on the house market. Government crap, likely to be a change back to tory at next election, lots of terrorism scares going on. Education O.K, although a societal pressure for kids to learn everything yesterday. Snobery everywhere and it's all about what you own. If not that, full of chavs. We are a nanny state. Come hither if you can't do anything and thrive!!!!!!

Good news - it rains regularly, no seriously, this is a beautiful country. It maybe losing it's patriotism but it will always have beauty. Some areas are magnificent but these usually come at a price. If you are looking to come back, now is a pretty good time as we are going into a depression and house prices are falling, unfortunately everything else is going up. Cars are cheaper though, and you can get a decent car for around £1500. Good old national health service still going strong, free care for all, countryside fabulous, green and lush. Walk freely barefoot. Reality T.V a big thing at the moment and we have talent shows for everything. Over 900 channels if you have SKY TV - bound to find something you like. Free swimming for over 60s coming in. Good old country pubs still going, although many of them now Irish!?! Oh, and we of course do have marmite!!!! These are the practicalities, sorry if they sound a bit jaded but this loverly country has gone a bit tits up really. Emotion is a difficult thing. We feel the need to leave and come to au without having even been there, so we cannot judge a desire to return. A year working sounds like a good idea, gives you opportunity to regain how it is here now. Do consider where you go carefully though, if you know anyone in the areas it would be a good idea to liaise, some areas are no go for certain people. Take care and if you can retain you position there, why not go for it and have a taster.

Jean and Paul

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gymtastic

hate to say this ..but ..dear old oz ..very much like you just discribed....so no different really...suffolk a good an safe place to live...i had no probs all the 40 plus yrs i lived there , and community spirit well good ..no all my neighbours , and most of town folk .so cant wait to go back...

Guest Jean RY
hate to say this ..but ..dear old oz ..very much like you just discribed....so no different really...suffolk a good an safe place to live...i had no probs all the 40 plus yrs i lived there , and community spirit well good ..no all my neighbours , and most of town folk .so cant wait to go back...

Thats really helpful, i have been trying to find someone to give us an honest opinion of life in AU, everyone always tells us how great it is and i'm sure it can't be the total paradise that everyone makes out. Suffolk is indeed generally good, along with Surrey and Devon. Kent gone down hill with the M20 becoming a regular car park when the French decide to strike and the ferries stop running!! Where in AU do you live and which areas would you recommend for the best place for two nurses with a young family to move to. Where is best balance of standard of living and where do you think is a no no. Also, if you don't mind us asking, how long have you been in AU and what drive you home?

Cheers

Jean and Paul

We're still here, and looking to go (wanna swap?) Can't give advice and don't think it's fair to (we can't compare), can only give current situation here. If coming, be careful where you go, check out the areas as where used to be good, probably now not. Prices here catastophic and taxed for everything possible. Much more violence, not only road rage, we now have supermarket rage (people being killed for alleged queue jumping). You know how we Brits feel about queues!!!!! 1 in 3 people are now armed with knives and knife attacks a daily occurence. Lots of racisit attacks and youth violence. Traffic hardly moves in many areas, cities and motorways especially. Petrol/diesel raising 1p a day, current price £1.32 per litre and still counting. People rude, very few know their neighbours, especially in towns and cities and everywhere is overcrowed. Community feel left in only a few areas. Price houses atrocious and generally difficult for first time buyers to get on the house market. Government crap, likely to be a change back to tory at next election, lots of terrorism scares going on. Education O.K, although a societal pressure for kids to learn everything yesterday. Snobery everywhere and it's all about what you own. If not that, full of chavs. We are a nanny state. Come hither if you can't do anything and thrive!!!!!!

Good news - it rains regularly, no seriously, this is a beautiful country. It maybe losing it's patriotism but it will always have beauty. Some areas are magnificent but these usually come at a price. If you are looking to come back, now is a pretty good time as we are going into a depression and house prices are falling, unfortunately everything else is going up. Cars are cheaper though, and you can get a decent car for around £1500. Good old national health service still going strong, free care for all, countryside fabulous, green and lush. Walk freely barefoot. Reality T.V a big thing at the moment and we have talent shows for everything. Over 900 channels if you have SKY TV - bound to find something you like. Free swimming for over 60s coming in. Good old country pubs still going, although many of them now Irish!?! Oh, and we of course do have marmite!!!! These are the practicalities, sorry if they sound a bit jaded but this loverly country has gone a bit tits up really. Emotion is a difficult thing. We feel the need to leave and come to au without having even been there, so we cannot judge a desire to return. A year working sounds like a good idea, gives you opportunity to regain how it is here now. Do consider where you go carefully though, if you know anyone in the areas it would be a good idea to liaise, some areas are no go for certain people. Take care and if you can retain you position there, why not go for it and have a taster.

Jean and Paul

I thought you was talking about Aus untill I see the £££ signs. Yes The UK has gone a bit tits up but thats alot to do with the English negative attitude. All countrys have problems we just think it's only us who have them.

I believe this is still one of the best countrys about, but rightly so you point out about our crap govenment. It wil not be long before they will be out and then this country will hopfully become great again

JOhn

I thought you was talking about Aus untill I see the £££ signs. Yes The UK has gone a bit tits up but thats alot to do with the English negative attitude. All countrys have problems we just think it's only us who have them.

I believe this is still one of the best countrys about, but rightly so you point out about our crap govenment. It wil not be long before they will be out and then this country will hopfully become great again

JOhn

You are so right, John!

Add to that the fact that Aus has just elected in a load of Blairite wannabeees without the nous who are kneejerking and making symbolic gestures all over the place but have absolutely no bloody idea what they are doing. We are 15 years behind the times it seems and the social engineering is about to begin in earnest once more.

Guest gymtastic

well hello jean n paul...my aussi hubby ..recomends ..Brisbane N gold coast ,as they seem to be the growing area,s for families and work at the moment...must say ..i like the are,s too ..especially noosa..this is for jean ...they have a fantastic market there..one of the best..

what has driven me home is the fact i CANNOT GET WORK HERE , have been here 2 yrs..and now climbing the walls ..have tried everything..now doing voluntary work , and a course to go with ..working with people with mental illness very interesting and a big change from my previous work ..which was administration and retail..another factor in going back is my age ,(50) my family an friends and social life..but we have 2 daughters here ..so plenty scope to come back ..they live in queensland an love it..our other 2 live in uk..and are very career minded..so wot ever you do .hope all info ok ..let us no..debNben ...sydney

HI Jean Ry

thanks for your valuable opinion the more I hear the better the 1 year stint sounds. I dont even know if IT'S what I am looking for (actually I dont even know WHAT I am looking for) I am just not settled here and never have been. Perhaps the year will show me the way!!

Guest Jean RY

Hi Jaq

I think you have answered your own question, 'you are not settled'. Sometimes there is no rationale for emotion and feeling, but that doesn't mean you should ignore them for the practicalities. My husband and myself have very good jobs with further career opportunities, we live in a loverly house in a affluent area. We have 2 young children and all our family and friends here, yet we still have a pull to move to AU. Don't know why, can't explain it, from a rational perspective it doesn't make sense, but we have a strong feeling and urge to do this. It goes against all rationality, i suppose you could say we aren't settled. SO, we are doing what you are doing in reverse. We are taking sabaticals from work, renting our house, protecting what we have here for the meantime to 'try it and see'. This does have it's downside in that you have a bail out option, and perhaps never really let go, but if you have the ability to trully go for something there is nothing wrong with a back up plan. Home cannot be defined by practicalities, and who knows it will hopefully allow you to settle, either in the UK or AU, and perhaps that is what you are looking for. That unfortunately cannot be defined by practicalities but will hopefully come with trying these out

Whatever you decide, .....enjoy

Jean RY

Guest gymtastic

thank you ..kind and sensable words...and i agree ..you dont know till you try..so good luck to you too i think you are going about it the right way...there are so many people that sell up and come here ..then hate the place and have nothing to gain by going home financially were as i do i still have a house in uk..and many contacts ..for work...let me know how your move here goes and where you end up .....just rember ..at the moment its no different from uk in all ways..and violence here more violent ..and not many people go out at nite becoz of..and not all areas are that way ..smile and once again good luck ..make sure you have plenty of money ..and do your homework regarding work and visa,s as that can be costly too..renting is very popular here so suggest you do that...too ..xxx take care ..

Archived