58yrs old Stupid to return to uk?

Guest jaq

Been in Aus since i was 16 always thought of UK as Home thinking of returning next year what percentage of STUPID do you think that is. Never felt like belonged here in Aus been back twice on holiday dont have close relatives there anymore.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jaynie

I don't see it as being any percentage of STUPID at all, I think you need to do what you want for yourself and nobody can tell you any different really.

0%

I'm much the same age and been here nearly 30 years and if I wasnt married to an Aussie would be home and happy tomorrow. I know just what you mean about not belonging. I do have family there and friends but even if I didnt, it would be where I felt "at home". All the best with whatever you decide!!!

Guest Supertramp

Hi Jaq (oops...sorry)

Our emotions should never be considered stupid, we feel what we feel. I'm inclined to agree with Geoffrey about an option in each country but it 's not always a financial option for everyone. Having lived here myself for 25 years my advice certainly wouldn't be to 'pack up and go back' after all these years but if you can do it go for a really good long holiday and take a good (non rose tinted glasses) look around before you make any final decision...either way I wish you the best of luck. I can relate to the feeling though having gone (& still going) through it (the pull) myself in the last couple of years. I hate to say it but ...could it be an 'age thing''?? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...go girl!!!):smile:

Guest cantwait

Hi

Come back and have a holiday to see what things are like. I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised at the changes. Have a holiday then make your decision.

Good luck whatever you decide.

:smile:

Been in Aus since i was 16 always thought of UK as Home thinking of returning next year what percentage of STUPID do you think that is. Never felt like belonged here in Aus been back twice on holiday dont have close relatives there anymore.

You follow ya heart mate & don't let anyone tell you different, it's your life so you enjoy it where ever you wanna be.

Be happy

stuju

I hate to say it but ...could it be an 'age thing''?? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...go girl!!!)

Seems sensible to go for a long holiday there first...just to check it's the UK you're trying to reclaim and not your youth....:wubclub: I'm kinda playing devil's advocate here, but might it be possible your memories of your home/childhood in the UK have that wonderful 'Golden Years' tinge to them. Like the memories I have where I tell my kids that I was never rude, always did my homework and jumped eagerly out of bed as soon as the sun came up. (Which was around the same time that the birds from Snow White arrived to start singing from the end of my bed...:wacko:)

I don't think anyone's dreams are wrong, or stupid, but it might be wise to proceed with caution in case you lose everything chasing a dream of a memory.

Good luck.

Yours senile-y LC

No matter where you are in the world you get to a certain age (in our case we hit 40) and you start to re-evaluate your life and what you've achieved. In the UK I had mental health officer status which meant that I could retire at 55 with a pretty good pension and at 40 and 22 year service in the NHS I was thinking "only 15 years to retirement and a good pension". Having achieved a career, family, home etc. etc., we started to think of other things and decided on a lifestyle change (not just like that obviously - but i cut out the boring bits), why should you be any different being in Aus and thinking you want something else out of life. What i would say is make sure you're a citizen and are able to return anytime if you don't like it - but you very well may love it.

Ali

Hi once again, this post is very much tongue and cheek but looking at your age have you thought that it may be a mid life crisis? Maybe buying a convertable may be a cheaper option!!! Both my mother-in-law and father-in law are in the same situation with age and have both taken different route

My father-in-law is currently on a 2 month long trip to Thailand to decide if he is going to move out there for good. He has had several 2-3 week holidays and thats exactly what they have been holidays - he has given up his job to take this extended break to review his options which seems really sensible but a big step in itself. My partner is worried that he'll actually make the decision to return to Thailand for good but she's resigned herself to the fact that if thats what he wants to do then so be it - after all when we get to Australia he'll actually be nearer to us in Thailand than he would be in the UK.

My mother-in-law bought the convertable!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

I t5hink it would be hard to go back not really having anyone there ,saying that ive just done the opposite by coming here to none so itsswings and roundabouts i guess.I dont for one minute thin you should class yourself as stupid ,but i do agree with the others on a long holiday ,at least a month before you jump ship for good!! after all you can always come back,,let us know what you decide,,

Cal x

hi

Home is where the heart is, why not wait until you retire and get a place in both and follow the sun?

Geoffrey

Hi

Thanks for post was hoping to be able to work in UK as I am certainly not in a financial position to lounge around. I agree with all posts and still need time to mull over things. I think I know that I will eventually go back because the magnet is too strong. I figure if the magnet has not weakened in 42 years I should probably admit it never will. Have never been in position to even consider it you know the story married, kids, house etc but now I have no house kids all grown up and getting on with their lives (which is fantastic)Love them all dearly BUT I just dont belong my friends arenot sure I will 'belong' anywhere and they may be right but must find out. Considering going on 12 month working holiday maybe that will be long enough to know.

0%

I'm much the same age and been here nearly 30 years and if I wasnt married to an Aussie would be home and happy tomorrow. I know just what you mean about not belonging. I do have family there and friends but even if I didnt, it would be where I felt "at home". All the best with whatever you decide!!!

Thanks

I cant beleive that people are so nice, how lovely of people to actually care enough to think of helping others. I had no idea this even existed just came across it when browsing, boy am I glad. I am looking for belonging and its not here so yes i think it is age related but fact is fact and i am getting old. I just cant imagine being here in my REALLY old age and if I am to make any sort of 'other' life I feel now is probably the last chance I may get as I will have to work to support myself.

Seems sensible to go for a long holiday there first...just to check it's the UK you're trying to reclaim and not your youth....:wubclub: I'm kinda playing devil's advocate here, but might it be possible your memories of your home/childhood in the UK have that wonderful 'Golden Years' tinge to them. Like the memories I have where I tell my kids that I was never rude, always did my homework and jumped eagerly out of bed as soon as the sun came up. (Which was around the same time that the birds from Snow White arrived to start singing from the end of my bed...:wacko:)

I don't think anyone's dreams are wrong, or stupid, but it might be wise to proceed with caution in case you lose everything chasing a dream of a memory.

Good luck.

Yours senile-y LC

Hi

Yeah you're right there may be all sorts of 'wrong' things I am thinking about. I dont think its the childhood thing tho because being an 'army' child never really lived in UK much tho did go to boarding school there (back to Germany for hols) 3x per year so not a big draw there. The only thing I can describe it as is the ambience the history and the feeling of home. Oh god I sound like some 60's hippy (hmm).

Hi once again, this post is very much tongue and cheek but looking at your age have you thought that it may be a mid life crisis? Maybe buying a convertable may be a cheaper option!!! Both my mother-in-law and father-in law are in the same situation with age and have both taken different route

My father-in-law is currently on a 2 month long trip to Thailand to decide if he is going to move out there for good. He has had several 2-3 week holidays and thats exactly what they have been holidays - he has given up his job to take this extended break to review his options which seems really sensible but a big step in itself. My partner is worried that he'll actually make the decision to return to Thailand for good but she's resigned herself to the fact that if thats what he wants to do then so be it - after all when we get to Australia he'll actually be nearer to us in Thailand than he would be in the UK.

My mother-in-law bought the convertable!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Hi

I wish you all the best here my mother is 84 and loves it here my brother the same so the odds are in your favour. Most people love it here and I am happy for them and cant justify why I feel what I do but there you go. I of course will eventually do what I feel is right for me but its great to hear other people's opinions it sort of normalises what was turmoil

Guest Ripha
Our emotions should never be considered stupid, we feel what we feel. . Having lived here myself for 25 years my advice certainly wouldn't be to 'pack up and go back' after all these years but if you can do it go for a really good long holiday and take a good (non rose tinted glasses) look around before you make any final decision...either way I wish you the best of luck. I can relate to the feeling though having gone (& still going) through it (the pull) myself in the last couple of years. I hate to say it but ...could it be an 'age thing''?? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...go girl!!!):smile:

Absolutely, totally agree.

However, having said that, I know what it's like to feel as though you don't belong.

If you do go back, consider it to be a long working holiday and that at some point, you can always return to Oz should you wish.

We left aging parents (late 70's) behind in the UK and having relatives 12,000 miles away, especially if they are elderly is not easy - trust me on that one.

Ripha.

Jaq you are going to be fine and more power to you to make the changes that you know in your soul are the ones you want to make.

I do find the double standards here really interesting (and not wanting to poke any fires, just observing) that if you were wanting to come to Aus people would be patting you on the back, telling you to "live your dream", leap headlong and abandon all sense of security (financial and emotional) and not to think twice in search of some mythical "better life". As it is, you want to go in the opposite direction and the bulk of the advice is think twice, dont leap into anything without thinking, and it must be a midlife crisis!!!

It may well be something to do with age because I never had one iota of the angst of some of the folk heading out here but in my old age I have come to realize that a complete life is more than beaches and stuff and that a sense of belonging is one of the foundations. If you dont belong here then you are batting up hill.

I so agree with you about the turmoil - I thought I was Robinson Crusoe for a while and could not understand why I was the only one who thought that this wasnt the place I wanted to live my life. Knowing that you aren't alone is, in fact, quite liberating!

Guest earlswood

How can it be stupid to return to a Country that you think of as home....go for it mate...it still has a lot going for it:yes:

How can it be stupid to return to a Country that you think of as home....go for it mate...it still has a lot going for it:yes:

Hi Earlswood

i know i dont know you but Gee you have caused up a storm there is a thread dedicated just to you, will you post your view on it so everyone can settle down lol.

Geoffrey

Guest pabloke99
Jaq you are going to be fine and more power to you to make the changes that you know in your soul are the ones you want to make.

I do find the double standards here really interesting (and not wanting to poke any fires, just observing) that if you were wanting to come to Aus people would be patting you on the back, telling you to "live your dream", leap headlong and abandon all sense of security (financial and emotional) and not to think twice in search of some mythical "better life". As it is, you want to go in the opposite direction and the bulk of the advice is think twice, dont leap into anything without thinking, and it must be a midlife crisis!!!

It may well be something to do with age because I never had one iota of the angst of some of the folk heading out here but in my old age I have come to realize that a complete life is more than beaches and stuff and that a sense of belonging is one of the foundations. If you dont belong here then you are batting up hill.

I so agree with you about the turmoil - I thought I was Robinson Crusoe for a while and could not understand why I was the only one who thought that this wasnt the place I wanted to live my life. Knowing that you aren't alone is, in fact, quite liberating!

Quoll, what an insightful post, at last I've found some common ground with you:notworthy:. As you know we're heading South but not without making some major sacrifices and certainly not without a great deal of uncertainty; but we have to try while we can. Life in the UK has, for us, become stale and frustrating, and although the Summer is now making a breakthrough, the long dark winter months do genuinely depress us and will be upon us again all too soon.

At the moment the countryside looks wonderful and the blue tits nesting in my garden give cause for delight, but in the winter we rarely get to venture beyond the end of the drive. So yes, it is a matter of choice and yes we both see the grass as being greener on the other side. Let's hope we all find our Nirvana wherever it may be.

Good luck to all of us!

Paul

Hi

My uncle and aunt who were £10 poms in the 50s also felt like you about 40 years later and decided to sell up and return to the UK. They managed about 4 years I should think before they up sticks and went back. I don't think for one minute it's what you imagine over here now, it's not coincidence that there are so many folks making the trip down under. However, no matter what anyone says to you you need to try it for yourself. A year's working holiday seems like a good idea, keep a foot in both camps before you commit yourself.

Cathy

Guest BRISSYBOUND

Don't think you're stupid,brave and maybe a little niave,but not stupid.When was the last time you visited UK,recently? The reasons I'm getting out of UK are it's a country I don't want to grow old in,an old man of forty now time to think of these things LOL,don't want my child to grow up in a country where they're either layabout doleys or a wage slave to provide for doleys,damp and cold,not being able to plan anything outdoors except for a few days in advance.Things I'll miss though are the National trust,plenty of pubs in walking distance,corner shops,always bumping into people I know.If you do come here,come for 12months work,travel as much as you can and keep out of the big cities unless youare well armed LOL.Best of luck with whatever you decide,it's your life so you live it,Fred

Archived