Paddington, St Lucia, Toowong VS Ascot and Hamilton areas

juliab1099

Always nice to see photos however do be careful, they tend to show positives. There is no substitution to visiting the areas.

There is a distinct difference in N vs S of the river with N building like mad where S has very tight planning restrictions and feels older, less organised possibly more original.

S

Always nice to see photos however do be careful, they tend to show positives. There is no substitution to visiting the areas.

Yes, though I'm guessing there's not too many planning on shelling out the bucks site unseen from the UK :) Saying that I think these particular areas stand up very well in reality to those photos. I just hope they show people the possibilities when compiling their lists of places to check out. The daily places that inspire me may do the same for others....dry words on the screen can become all a bit samey...

There is a distinct difference in N vs S of the river with N building like mad...

S

Should be OK as the OP has already ruled out the busy inner urban core from West End through to Teneriffe/Bowen Hills where all the crazy building is going on. On both sides of the river as The Gabba and South Brisbane in particular are going crazy.

...where S has very tight planning restrictions and feels older, less organised possibly more original.

S

Interesting, surprised by this comment. The northside has more extensive older unaltered character areas than the south and they are both administered by the same council laws protecting character areas ? The areas under discussion like The Grange, Clayfield and Paddington are considered some of the best examples in the city. Are you just talking about the inner urban core perhaps like Bowen Hills vs The Gabba ?

Forgive the questions...I know you are just talking about your impressions so far...I just like discussing this topic :)

Edited by fish.01

Yeah the pocket around Kalinga park is all full of fantastic character buildings as is clayfield in general. I work in Windsor and the buildings round this way up on the hill are awesome.

Hello

Thank you so much for all of the great help! I feel like I have a good idea of what Paddington area is like and am almost sold. Would love to e plore Ascot and Hamilton's little more though. I particularly like north shore park area in Hamilton. Much appreciated

J ☺

• 4 weeks later...

What a great thread. Loving all the photos!

We have been in Brisbane for 18 months and have rented in Toowong, Paddington and Graceville - all lovely suburbs but Paddington is definitely my favourite. It was the most friendly, and as we were on Latrobe tce, the shops, cafes etc made lovely social connections very easy.

Toowong has good transport links with regular buses, trains and city cat. The walking/cycle track has had an upgrade and runs alongside the river to the CBD. Toowong shopping village is good and never very busy. It is very close to Indooroopilly shopping centre too which has some lovely shops.

Graceville is quieter. Apparently the local state primary school is good. We paid $830. pw for a standard Queenslander. You have to be careful though as parts of Graceville are prone to flooding. Regular trains make it an easy commute to the CBD.

Good luck with your search!