renting a house in queensland

hi

we,r a family of four looking to move to Brisbane by the end of October from the UK this year .

im trying to find out how to rent a 3 bed house there from the UK be four we arrive in Brisbane

the estate agents make it sound impossible to rent from the UK needing someone to view the house for you and be a guarantor which is impossible not knowing anyone there

im happy to pay up to six months rent in advance plus bond if needed .

i don't have a job there yet but being a diesel mechanic it shouldn't be to hard in finding work there .

i would be most great full if someone could give me some advice on getting round this problem .

thanks

It is very difficult and also very risky to rent a house unseen. Most agents require you to inspect it in person and then submit an application form if your interested. Due to this most migrating family's book holiday / furnished/ short term accommodation for their first few weeks. This gives you time to get over the flight, find an area you like then view and apply for longer term rentals in that area.

There are a few threads going on what is best to submit with an application, if you are yet to find work a copy of a healthy bank account statement should do the trick, along with passports etc to prove ID.

What area of Brisbane are you looking at moving to? and what engines do you work on ? (hubby is a diesel mechanic so i can ask if he knows anyone recruiting)

Hope this helps

Cal x

It is possible because we did it

But my brother lived near so he could view it for us to meet the regulations

Play the owner wanted a family and we fitted the bill

We've now bought the house and its the only house we've ever lived in in Australia

So we we're very lucky

My brother gave us great references plus Pam had a job lined up already which also will have helped for sure

Good luck

hi

we,r a family of four looking to move to Brisbane by the end of October from the UK this year .

im trying to find out how to rent a 3 bed house there from the UK be four we arrive in Brisbane

the estate agents make it sound impossible to rent from the UK needing someone to view the house for you and be a guarantor which is impossible not knowing anyone there

im happy to pay up to six months rent in advance plus bond if needed .

i don't have a job there yet but being a diesel mechanic it shouldn't be to hard in finding work there .

i would be most great full if someone could give me some advice on getting round this problem .

thanks

Don't try to get around the problem. Get a short term rental for arrival and look for something when you arrve. The agents you spoke to are quite correct, houses must be viewed. Also the photos you see of some houses can be a lot more flattering than the real thing. I wouldn't recommend you do this evrn if it were possible to rent without viewing.

We rented from UK but very few agents will consider it. If you can submit form 1 to agent it gives the opportunity to say that you are renting unseen as you are in UK.If you thoroughly research the house, the street and the area you can reduce the risk. For us it was far more important to have house to go to close to the children's school than have a pristine house that we had seen beforehand. In addition there were no short term rentals close by the school. If I hadn't started work /kids started school within 10 days of arrival then I probably would have waited. As it has turned out house is great and fits our needs perfectly. Didn't need to pay more than usual deposit/ rent.

Get a short term rental for 3 weeks and then get viewing while you are here. Estate agents do not necessarily use up-to-date photos - we saw some properties that looked nothing like the pictures as the pictures were 5 years old!! You can also get a better feel for the neighbourhood and neighbours if you are out here.

I wouldnt recommend doing it from the UK.

The good thing is that you're coming before Dec-Jan when renting a house can be tricky as a lot of turnover (people moving interstate, moving New Year etc)

Airb&b or a short term motel will be fine for a couple of weeks.

Depending on where you are looking, there do seem to be a few more rentals coming on to the market in Brisbane- Landlords do like families so that is a plus.

Agree with others re: needing to view. We rented unseen via sabbatical homes and were very lucky. Many houses on Realestate look fantastic but you can rule a lot of them out on a drive by, let alone inspection......

HI calNgary

thank you for the advice i appreciate it .

we don't have a specific area in brisbane as of yet . difficult to choose i suppose it would be where the work is to start .

i work mostly on MAN Mercedes Volvo scania and cummins engines thanks for asking your husband to ask around for me

No problem and yes choosing an area can be difficult, its best to just drive, drive and drive some more.

Hubby said you shouldn't struggle finding work,just door knock once your here but look around the Wacol and Rocklea areas (neither the best for living in as quite industrial) and also try Hastings Deering at Archerfield. Try all the Scania main dealers too, google should give you a list of them in Brisbane, Ipswich and Gold Coast areas, let me know if you need any help.

Cal x

• 1 month later...

You can get fully furnished holiday type short term lets in Brisbane abs surrounds, we found lots via Booking.com and often if you contact the landlord or property manager and tell them you want a month they will discount, we rented for a month in Gold Coast before securing a long term rental, it gave us a chance to see areas, get jobs, schools all sorted...it's a bit more expensive but you'll have all you need, Internet etc and could save you renting something you don't like. When you do find a long term rental we found that if you have rental references from the UK, your visa and your offer of employment you can rent without putting advance rent down. Short term gives you a chance to settle and make sure you are happy before getting everything shipped too.

The rental agents have all been good, I worked in rentals in the UK and the Aussie system is more laid back, one thing that's a bonus here is the landlord pays the rates/council tax so one less bill!

Good luck and Brisbane is great, we've been here since 31/07 and have found everyone friendly and it's been a good experience, a few issues but nothing that wasn't sortable, and these forums are great!

Archived