ielts, do I need it?

pizzaface77

Money making venture by the government. A lot of it around I'm afraid. Pretty rude I think!

The government doesn't run IELTS or get any money from it. I think it is good to ensure that medical staff can speak English properly myself, a passport doesn't prove it. I was in hospital myself in June (in the UK) and only one of the three nurses that I encountered could actually communicate with me effectively.

I understand what you are saying starlight, maybe the ppl u encountered did not use English as their first language, however I'm Scottish born here and completed all my education in English, I do not speak any other language. I feel a tat annoyed. I actually sat the ielts a couple years ago and did not score high enough! Maybe due to the fact I was 9 months pregnant and was stressing myself? I thought I read somewhere tht other skills did not need to do ielts anymore, was hoping this was the same for nurses? But it's not oh well need to get my technique sorted!

There are 2 options for skills assessment with ANMAC - the full assessment where you do need to complete IELTS. The modified assessment is when you are already registered with AHPRA (NMC equivalent).

As Lorna said, I had to do IELTS to get enough points for my visa application anyway.

So basically if you don't need the IELTS points for the visa and you don't want to go through the test again (I had to do it twice and hated the whole process, not sure I could have done it a third time!) then you could look at registering with AHPRA first, which you will have to do in the long run anyway.

I didn't use an agent just took my time getting to know everything reading a lot n writing lists for what I needed n ticking them off. .It does start to make sense but if your really struggling it make take sum pressure off to use an agent if u can afford it

Please check whether you are required to write the academic or general test. I am a social worker and i was required to write the Academic but I did not know until after I had sat for the general and passed the second time. Needless to say I had to sit for the Academic test eventually. I passed first time with that one so I am now at the skills assessment stage with AASW

We don't wanna use an agent coz they will take a huge chunk of our savings. Wanted to attempt it ourselves. Ive started reading today but wen I think I'm understanding I get confused again. At what point did u do ur ielts. Thanks for answering my questions lol

The IELTS can be done at any point however if you need it for skills assessment then you have to take it before that stage. We employed migration agents and they did take a huge chunk of our money. We have now received more information from our own investigations but since we employed them at the beginning and paid in full there is no other option for us. If you do your research thoroughly you should sail through easily.

Archived