Migration lawyers - worth the money?

izzi1977

Just wondering if migration lawyers are worth the money? We saw one who was supposed to be an excellent just for advice but they have given my mother the wrong information which we have just discovered!

Have people had good experiences of migration lawyers? Is a visa application any quicker with them?

progress.gif

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: thead]izzi1977[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vbmenu_option]View Public Profile[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vbmenu_option]Send a private message to izzi1977[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vbmenu_option]Find all posts by izzi1977[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vbmenu_option]Add izzi1977 to Your Contacts[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Yes, lots of people have successfully used migration agents.

If you've been given wrong advice in the past then it draws into question the quality of the agent you used. Were they MARA registered? Is your case an "unusual" one?

There are several MARA registered agents on these forums regularly. Any of them should be able to give you sound advice.

As for "quicker"; then yes it's quicker if you wish to avoid getting poor information, and wasting your time. Getting things right first time and with minimal fuss is why you would use a good agent.

Thank you. We have basically applied for one visa and just found out my mother could be eligible for a different one. I am not sure we want to pay someone who is supposed to be one of the best in Australia...! who misled us.

One of the best.......according to who? Is there a rating system for migration agents? If you paid a MARA registered agent then I understand that you have some comeback for incorrect advice. Assuming that the Agent was given the correct information on which to base any advice.

A lot of people have successfully completed their applications without an agent, but I would definately recommend using one if you are unclear on anything or your case not straightforward. We used one and I am so pleased we did. It is so expensive that it would be silly to make a mistake that would mean your application delayed or rejected.

our visa agent cost 2100 in total and she took instalments of £370 each time so it was less painful! And she did everything for us, we just had to provide the evidence she needed.

there are lots of agents tried an tested on here that people have every faith in, such as 'go Matilda' and 'sort out my visa'

good luck!

We definitely intend to complain. It was one who was recommended on forums, expats in Melbourne, even our GP! I don't want to bad mouth people but I just want to hear whether people have had any positive experiences and is the money justifiable or can you do this yourself?

Thank you. We have basically applied for one visa and just found out my mother could be eligible for a different one. I am not sure we want to pay someone who is supposed to be one of the best in Australia...! who misled us.

Well there are not that many options for parents to be honest. So which one did she apply for and why do you think there could have been a better option?

I am also wondering about your use of the term "migration lawyer". The registered ones in Australia are probably not lawyers and are referred to as agents rather than lawyers, so wondering if you definitely had a RMA?

To your question, I would estimate that most people that use an agent are happy that they did. Some are not of course, we had a less than perfect experience, but I think we were unlucky.

She applied for a parental contributory 143 in Dec 13 which normally would have been processed by now....they are very very behind though.

She did live here in the 70s and 80 but as her permanent residency visa was cancelled when she did not return, we did not believe she could apply for a resident return visa but we have now been advised by an MP that this is worth a go as we had extenuating circumstances. Clearly it is not straightforward but has to be worth a go as if it was possible for the 155 visa to be granted, this would save an awful lot of money! The other one is still in process so don't think we have anything to lose!

Well there are not that many options for parents to be honest. So which one did she apply for and why do you think there could have been a better option?

I am also wondering about your use of the term "migration lawyer". The registered ones in Australia are probably not lawyers and are referred to as agents rather than lawyers, so wondering if you definitely had a RMA?

To your question, I would estimate that most people that use an agent are happy that they did. Some are not of course, we had a less than perfect experience, but I think we were unlucky.

She applied for a parental contributory 143 in Dec 13 which normally would have been processed by now....they are very very behind though.

She did live here in the 70s and 80 but as her permanent residency visa was cancelled when she did not return, we did not believe she could apply for a resident return visa but we have now been advised by an MP that this is worth a go as we had extenuating circumstances. Clearly it is not straightforward but has to be worth a go as if it was possible for the 155 visa to be granted, this would save an awful lot of money! The other one is still in process so don't think we have anything to lose!

Have you made the second payment for the 143 visa yet?

If not, I agree that the RRV is worth a go for a few hundred dollars. She would have to provide a compelling reason for her absence, does she have one? I have seen examples on forums of RRVs being granted in all kinds of circumstances when you would not expect the applicant would succeed, so yes, give it a go. You would have the answer one way or another pretty quickly.

Did the agent dismiss this option or did it just not come up?

The option didn't come up... they just advised to harass WA re the 143 application!

I won't go into details but yes she does have quite strong reasons so has to be worth a go. I don't believe the process is rocket science but am not sure how long the RRV process takes as it says 6 months online... I was wondering whether it is any quicker to see a migration lawyer but am thinking the timeframe is probably similar either way.

The option didn't come up... they just advised to harass WA re the 143 application!

I won't go into details but yes she does have quite strong reasons so has to be worth a go. I don't believe the process is rocket science but am not sure how long the RRV process takes as it says 6 months online... I was wondering whether it is any quicker to see a migration lawyer but am thinking the timeframe is probably similar either way.

Well did they know she was a previous permanent resident I mean?

I think RRVs are usually decided in a couple of weeks, if that. This one obviously a bit more complex, but I don't think it would be anything like six months.

Archived