457 Visa search, 33 years Old

Nezza

Dear all,

i appologies in advance as I'm sure this question may have been asked on other threads.

I'm (male) searching from the UK for an employer who would sponsor me for a 457 Visa. I have a female partner and a 3 year old child.

My skills fall under the skilled occupation list would be classed as "Marketing Manager", my main skills lie in sales account management, client relationships, negotiation and business development.

My my question is, if I took a 2 week trip to either WA or Queenslands or both, what is the likelihood of me meeting with a potential employer who would sponsor a 457 Visa?

Prior to the trip I would plan as manny meetings as possible in advance with recruitment agencies and potential employers.

I know the process is far from simple, my gut feeling is that I need to visits Oz once again to start the ball rolling.

Many thanks in advance.

I would call this a long shot. There is high unemployment in Australia and marketing is a popular career choice. If you are happy to take the chance and can do so financially without worrying too much, then go ahead, but chances of success are not high.

Skilled migration is generally a far more sensible option, have you looked into it?

If someone is sponsoring for 457 they are looking outside the country therfore happy and expecting to recruit via phone calls/Skype/overseas recruitment days etc..i can't c how turning up in person will make a difference..its not like just getting a job as they have to be eligible to sponsor n meet criteria themselves...If they are sponsoring for 457 they will make ppl aware through internet/ads/agencies etc..All things u can do from home.. I got 457 from UK n didn't cross my mind to go over in person. I personally don't think u would have any more success than you have looking/applying from UK.

You also need to be aware of what a 457 is.

It is only a temporary visa with no automatic path to a permanent visa.

It is tied to the employer, so if you were to lose your job, you only have 90 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor - not all can - or leave the country.

A number of states charge temporary residents school fees in the thousands.

Have you looked at all options for skilled migration?

Unless it's different in your field you would be wasting your time even contacting recruitment agencies - consultants work on commission so why on earth would they bother with an overseas applicant requiring sponsorship when there are plenty to choose from who don't.

Those who get 457 sponsorship tend to fall into one of two categories either they are in careers where there is an absolute shortage and those skills are on the SOL anyway e.g. nursing or in the past certain constriction skills but with the current economy I expect that is less so or they are already connected to the company in some way e.g. working for them on a WHV, working in the UK for the same company (I worked for BT in Australia and almost all my colleagues were on 457 visas) etc.

If you could spend 3-6 months in Australia without working you might increase your chances a bit by networking and if you fancy a holiday in Australia anyway you could strike lucky in two weeks but if you're not eligible for skilled migration i would save your money and invest it in re-training. If you are eligible then don't waste your time looking for sponsorship - you might find you really like Australia and want to stay after the sponsorship and that would be an awful position to be in if you don;t have the skills needed to stay.

Nothing is impossible and you may well find it easier in person but I wouldn't go with an expectation of getting something sorted in a couple of weeks. Why not try contacting recruiters or going to a job fair, some employers will interview via Skype etc.

Archived