Advice on Gold Coast PLEASE

Guest Rickard Family

Guest Rickard Family

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could help:notworthy:.

Can anyone recommend any areas in or around the Gold Coast that have beaches that are good for families and children, when researching Perth someone recommended Rockingham because it had some beaches with shallow and calm waters, but now have been looking into QLD and just wanted a little help to narrow down an area( work permitting).

Sorry to waffle on:chatterbox:, thanks in advance, Lou.

the best beach ive found for kids is the lagoon at labrador,the water is very calm and dosnt go deep radically.not sure id want to live right there thou,i would maybe choose Runaway Bay.Hope this helps a bit.also remember the big surf beaches such as coollangatta ,main beach etc all have surf patrol on duty.

Cal x

Guest Flowerpot

I agree with Cal. The lagoon at Labrador is a great spot with parks, a decent chip shop and an ice-cream parlour just up the road. Not my cup of tea as a place to live either. If the sea on your doorstep isn't essential there are some nice areas 20 mins or so inland. I'm just the other side of the motorway and find it the perfect location for access to the beach, Surfers and M'way to Brisbane. (I love that commute!!)

Si

Guest Rickard Family
the best beach ive found for kids is the lagoon at labrador,the water is very calm and dosnt go deep radically.not sure id want to live right there thou,i would maybe choose Runaway Bay.Hope this helps a bit.also remember the big surf beaches such as coollangatta ,main beach etc all have surf patrol on duty.

Cal x

I agree with Cal. The lagoon at Labrador is a great spot with parks, a decent chip shop and an ice-cream parlour just up the road. Not my cup of tea as a place to live either. If the sea on your doorstep isn't essential there are some nice areas 20 mins or so inland. I'm just the other side of the motorway and find it the perfect location for access to the beach, Surfers and M'way to Brisbane. (I love that commute!!)

Si

Hi Cal thanks for info what about schools round this area i have 4 kids if we arrive around march 09 (house sale and visa permiting) they will be 13,12,10 and 9 so need good primary and secondry school.

How long have you lived in oz for? hows life there treating you so far?

Thanks again Lou.

Hi Si

Thanks for info i think once we find somewhere we like we will use it as a base if and when we get there then go from there just wanted a heads up on some areas.

how long have you been in oz?

thanks again Lou.

Guest Flowerpot

Hi Lou

We've ( wife and two boys, 6 and 4) been here just a tad over 3 years and came straight to the Gold Coast. We have found it a great place to live as most of it is so new and it's still growing. We're about 20 mins or so from the coast surrounded by mountains, which is a view you can never tire of when coming home.

Has a date been set for the move?

Si:cool:

heh no probs ,we are here to help,lol we will have been here 2 years in November and can then get citizenship,subject to passing the test of course ,i cant wait !!! we hit the ground running ,rented a property for 6 mth ,bought a dump and renovated that so we havnt slowed much really,but its fantastic out here ,brill for the kids mine are 4 and 9 now and have settled into life so well,schools here seem a bit more fun than when i was at school thats for sure!!

We both worked when we originally moved but i decided to do the stay at home mum thing ,got a bit bored and set up jimboomba relocations,we realised when we came the short term accomodation and just the knowing where to go and what to do especially with kids was a bit harder than anticipated to say the least!lol,,

We settled about 40mins inland from the gold coast and 40mins south of Bris city as property is still reasonable and its handy for everything without being in a built up town,we wanted a bit of room to move.Have you read the where2live guides and visited the our brisbane website ,you can get loads of info on there and it covers a lot of the different suburbs.drop me a pm if you need info or help with anything ,

Cal x

Guest Rickard Family
Hi Lou

We've ( wife and two boys, 6 and 4) been here just a tad over 3 years and came straight to the Gold Coast. We have found it a great place to live as most of it is so new and it's still growing. We're about 20 mins or so from the coast surrounded by mountains, which is a view you can never tire of when coming home.

Hi thanks for reply i did reply earlier but my post seems to have disapeared.

We haven't set date yet only in early stages so far clint got to go and do a carpentry practical test in july...got a feeling we will get our visa before we sell the BLOODY house....:arghh:

Guest Rickard Family
heh no probs ,we are here to help,lol we will have been here 2 years in November and can then get citizenship,subject to passing the test of course ,i cant wait !!! we hit the ground running ,rented a property for 6 mth ,bought a dump and renovated that so we havnt slowed much really,but its fantastic out here ,brill for the kids mine are 4 and 9 now and have settled into life so well,schools here seem a bit more fun than when i was at school thats for sure!!

We both worked when we originally moved but i decided to do the stay at home mum thing ,got a bit bored and set up jimboomba relocations,we realised when we came the short term accomodation and just the knowing where to go and what to do especially with kids was a bit harder than anticipated to say the least!lol,,

We settled about 40mins inland from the gold coast and 40mins south of Bris city as property is still reasonable and its handy for everything without being in a built up town,we wanted a bit of room to move.Have you read the where2live guides and visited the our brisbane website ,you can get loads of info on there and it covers a lot of the different suburbs.drop me a pm if you need info or help with anything ,

Cal x

Thanks Cal did reply earlier but my post disappeared:err:....you seemed to have settled in so well i hope it's the same for us..... my main concerns is Clint finding work and the kids settling in school.

thanks for the offer of the pm's and when we get closer to coming i may call on you cheers.....oh i have just marked the webite on my favourites thanks Lou.

If Clint (thats my brothers name too,lol)is a carpenter there are stacks of jobs out here ,he wont struggle finding work,but will struggle to slowing down to the aussie pace ,most men do when they go to work at first ,they are still in the pommy ,work,work,work mode not the aussie ,itll be rite lets have smoko,mode,lol

Cal x

Guest donovan
Hi Lou

sorry to jump the thread

flowerpot where in Hemel did you live? we used to live in Slippers Hill, near the old town, then we lived with my oh parents down Bedmond Road, Pimlico right next to the swan pub. I wonder I if we know you

Sarah x

Guest Rickard Family
If Clint (thats my brothers name too,lol)is a carpenter there are stacks of jobs out here ,he wont struggle finding work,but will struggle to slowing down to the aussie pace ,most men do when they go to work at first ,they are still in the pommy ,work,work,work mode not the aussie ,itll be rite lets have smoko,mode,lol

Cal x

I do hope so!, does your brother complain to when people write the L too close to the i...lol:twitcy:.

Do you know much about pacific pines? keep spending hours on google earth it so hard to pick somewhere with out even being there.....just want somewhere really family orientated.

Talking of family how do you cope with that, missing them i was always say to people "well i dont really see family that much" but got a feeling it is going to be one of those dont relise what you got till its gone:err:.

Thanks Lou.

lol, Pacific pines isnt too far from here ,its a huge massive estate near the Gold Coast and is quite popular with new arrivals,i relocated a family there earlier this year and they seem happy enough

Lol ,i know what you mean about spelling of his name ,he has sooo much ribbing in his life bless him

I didnt have much family support in the uk ,so it hasnt been that hard.I wont bore you now ,ill drop you a pm if thats ok.

Cal x

Guest Rickard Family
lol, Pacific pines isnt too far from here ,its a huge massive estate near the Gold Coast and is quite popular with new arrivals,i relocated a family there earlier this year and they seem happy enough

Lol ,i know what you mean about spelling of his name ,he has sooo much ribbing in his life bless him

I didnt have much family support in the uk ,so it hasnt been that hard.I wont bore you now ,ill drop you a pm if thats ok.

Cal x

Hi Cal i sent you a pm but can't find it it my sent box:wacko:...just checking to see if you did recieve anything!!

Talk soon Lou.

Guest Rickard Family
sorry to jump the thread

flowerpot where in Hemel did you live? we used to live in Slippers Hill, near the old town, then we lived with my oh parents down Bedmond Road, Pimlico right next to the swan pub. I wonder I if we know you

Sarah x

Hi Sarah

I noticed on another thread that you have 2 older boys of 12 & 10 if you dont mind me asking how old were they when you moved there? and how long did it take them to settle in? at the min kids are excited about the move but worry as time is going on and the older they get they may change their minds.

Thanks in advance :notworthy:

Lou.

• 1 month later...
Guest donovan
Hi Sarah

I noticed on another thread that you have 2 older boys of 12 & 10 if you dont mind me asking how old were they when you moved there? and how long did it take them to settle in? at the min kids are excited about the move but worry as time is going on and the older they get they may change their minds.

Thanks in advance :notworthy:

Lou.

Hiya Lou

sorry for the delay in replying, I seem to have lost the plot!!

Joshua was 11 & Mitchell was 9 & Harvey was 3 when we moved over last August, they have all settled really well and love the Ozzy life

Where & when are you planning on going on the Gold Coast?

Sarah x

Guest Rickard Family

Hi Sarah,

No worries i have days where i feel like i've lost it too....lol

How did the boys feel before you were leaving?, we wont be out until feb/march time...well depending on visa approval :notworthy: and house sell:arghh:.

Think my eldest is getting cold feet! followed closely by OH...who is getting worried about skills test he thinks the agent has put him done for wrong thing! carpenter rather than joiner.

As for where i love the look of pacific pines, but Clint on the other hand would like something with land and likes the look of jimboomba...but for now just want to get there first!

i will give your ears(eyes) a rest for now, talk soon,

Lou.

Guest donovan
Hi Sarah,

No worries i have days where i feel like i've lost it too....lol

How did the boys feel before you were leaving?, we wont be out until feb/march time...well depending on visa approval :notworthy: and house sell:arghh:.

Think my eldest is getting cold feet! followed closely by OH...who is getting worried about skills test he thinks the agent has put him done for wrong thing! carpenter rather than joiner.

As for where i love the look of pacific pines, but Clint on the other hand would like something with land and likes the look of jimboomba...but for now just want to get there first!

i will give your ears(eyes) a rest for now, talk soon,

Lou.

Hiya Lou

When we were filmed on WDU Joshua (my eldest) was the one which we thought we would have a problem with, as he was not sure about leaving his grandparents, cousins, friends, school etc, this made us question ourselves are we doing the right thing, as it was heartbreaking so see him suffer, when we finally moved out of our house he had to go round every room and ponder on the past (bless him) which was really hard to see, where as Mitchell did not want a last look round the house at all.

When we got to Oz the tables turned, Josh was the one that settled really quickly and Mitchell found it really hard to settle,we had screaming matches to the point where he would run outside the house and scream, (what the neighbours must have thought) he would hide under his bed and in his cupboard, he really was not coping with the "big move" at all this did make us unsettled to see him going through so much pain as he is normally quite a confident little boy that does good at school. Now I have to say he has settled really well is is loving life in Oz and would only dream of going back to the UK for a holiday, this will not happen for a few years as would not want to unsettle him again, and also have lots of visitors coming over to see us.

Anyway if i can help anymore just let me know

Sarah x

Guest Rickard Family

Hey!!! i know you, your recorded on my sky plus....lol

can i have you autograph..lol

seriously though that does make me feel alot better, i would like to think i will cope over there,apart from missing family and friends obviously, but i do worry for the kids because if they are upset...oh it does hurt!( not that i am one of these pampering mum's..unfortunately)...poor kids..lol

thanks again and i just might take you up on that offer nearer the time x

lou.

We've been to Jimboomba a couple of times for a drive out, and it's really nice, and the houses at Flagstone look great; much bigger plots than near me (in general). I'd be happy move up there, but now we know people here, and the kids are settled at kindy, I think we're looking at Pac Pines/Arundel/Helensvale. You won't go wrong whichever you go for!

Jo x

Guest Rickard Family

thanks Jo....thats good to Know.

can anyone help on the work front, Clint is a carpenter/joiner and i am just taking various beauty courses?

oh and 1 more thing hayfever...if you dont suffer there GREAT if you do LIE if Clint wont go...lol

thanks Lou.

most people ive met havnt suffered hayfever here ,only one pommy guy started quite badly as soon as he landed ,although he improved greatly in a few days.

Job wise Clint shouldnt struggle at all finding work,there is loads of work for him across brisbane/gold coast areas.

Cal x

Guest donovan
Hey!!! i know you, your recorded on my sky plus....lol

can i have you autograph..lol

seriously though that does make me feel alot better, i would like to think i will cope over there,apart from missing family and friends obviously, but i do worry for the kids because if they are upset...oh it does hurt!( not that i am one of these pampering mum's..unfortunately)...poor kids..lol

thanks again and i just might take you up on that offer nearer the time x

lou.

No worries lou

Keep me informed of when you will arrive and I will pm you my tel no

Sarah x

hayfever...if you dont suffer there GREAT if you do LIE if Clint wont go...lol

I did get one bout too, quite badly when I first got here, but not since. Weird! Bring some anti-histamines with you though, they're a lot more expensive here!

Jo x

Archived