Grateful for advice now I have received my IELTS results- MOVE TO OZ!tha

Larad86

I wondered if some of you lovely helpful people on this forum could help!!! I have so far found it so helpful.

Going to Australia has long been a dream of myself and my partner's and we are starting (quite slowly) to put the wheels in motion. I am a degree educated nurse with 18 months experience, and 29years. This on the Australian visa points gave me 45 so I knew the place I had to start was the IELTS to get me ideally 20 points requiring and overall score of 8 or if I got 7 I would have 55 points needing a further 5.

I have today received my results and I am not sure if I am happy or let down. I got:

listening: 8.5

reading: 7.5

writing: 7.5

speaking: 9.0

overall: 8.0

I am of the understanding that they only accept your lowest result as the overall result therefore that is 7.5 and therefore only achieve 10 points which overall gives me 55 visa points.

I still have a few options open to me and I'm just wondering what the best option would be....

1) we opt for th 457. By the time the visa and my registration gets sorted I would have the required 2 years nursing experience that WA would accept before issuing a work sponsored visa and then once I have worked in WA for a further year that will bump my points up in the work experience in Australia section and then we could apply for the 189.

2) we could opt for the 190 visa (state sponsorship) which will give us an additional 5 points totalling to 60 however my concerns with this visa is that state sponsorship has their own detailed criteria to be met which pretty much mirrors the visa's criteria and my downfall there is work experience.

3) I could do the test again and hope that I have get the all important score of 8 and apply for the 189. My concern with this is that having read the registration paperwork for APHRA the amount of tests taken can go against you!! Is that the case???

Another quick question is....should we take the plunge and get a migration agent. I have heard several things....one being that if you independently submit your application you are likely to get rejected however if you submit the same application via a migration agency it is likely to get accepted???

i would absolutely appreciate anyone's advise and feedback and I am crossing my fingers that by stroke of luck my overall result counts....(but I'm doubtful ?)

thank you

Lara

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

My thoughts on your three options as mentioned:

1) It isn't necessarily that easy to just "opt" for a 457 visa. You have to find a willing employer sponsor and meet the criteria, it used to be quite easy for nurses to find 457 sponsors, but I don't think that is the case any longer. You kind of lost me on the rest of this point, something about getting registration and visa and then having enough for WA sponsored work visa (no idea what that even is!). Anyway yes, didn't understand what you mean by that, and what if anything it has to do with the 457. I guess I mean you sound confused.

2) Yes there are points for state sponsorship. It is easy enough to read up on the criteria and see if you meet it. By the way, did you do general or academic IELTS? You need academic for your skills assessment, but 8s on the general test would be enough for the 20 points.

3) OK a couple of things here. Firstly as above, you only need 8s on the general in order to get 20 points for the visa application. You do need academic for your skills assessment though. Second thing, is that APHRA do not conduct your skills assessment, ANMAC do that. You need to register with APHRA in order to work, but do not confuse that with skills assesment. Also no, number of tests would not go against you, how would they even know!!

Bungo is absolutely right, if you have just completed the General Test for additional points you will still need to complete the Academic as well to qualify for nursing. You need to clarify what you completed. What I would suggest is if you can get a 189 this is the most complete visa and possibly best you can obtain generally in terms of security.

I think I have worked this out...I plan to apply for my nursing registration via APHRA which because I am from the UK I qualify under their English requirements, once I obtain the registration I will begin to look for jobs and fingers crossed get offered sponsorship because yes I understand that it isn't a choice and that you do have to be offered the sponsorship. Once I am registered I will only need the modified skills assessment from ANMAC. Hopefully I will then be successful under the 457 visa and then once I am in Australia I would go on and apply for either the 189/190. We are just keen to get there soon!!

I thought I was well read with this IELTS test....I was absolutely sure all I required was the general test and now it looks as though I have to complete the academic test as well??? I just cannot believe this!!!!

You do not need to do it general and academic IELTS. Nobody has said that. But you need academic IELTS for the ANMAC skills assessment, whereas either will do for points on the visa application. That is not saying you need to do both.

I think I have worked this out...I plan to apply for my nursing registration via APHRA which because I am from the UK I qualify under their English requirements, once I obtain the registration I will begin to look for jobs and fingers crossed get offered sponsorship because yes I understand that it isn't a choice and that you do have to be offered the sponsorship. Once I am registered I will only need the modified skills assessment from ANMAC. Hopefully I will then be successful under the 457 visa and then once I am in Australia I would go on and apply for either the 189/190. We are just keen to get there soon!!

That is one way of doing it yes, but it will only succeed if you find a sponsor and those are getting harder to come by. Or you do APHRA registration and then modified skills assessment without ever finding a 457 sponsor, which would work, it would just be slow as neither or quick processes.

Personally I would favour doing the ANMAC skills assessment, getting the visa application in and then applying for APHRA registration whilst you are waiting for the visa or waiting or the house to sell or just readying for the move.

Do ielts again..your nearly there in terms of your marks..just opt for academic one this time then your covered for visa and anmac if u need it...academic ielts isn't harder just different in some sections...I had to do ielts three times to get marks I needed for points....I got 457 sponsorship with new South wales health (only needed 12 months experience) then I applied for 189 after few months in aus n done just the modified anmac assessment so didn't need academic ielts just needed ielts for visa points. I looked into 190 too when I was getting sick of ielts, not all states require work experience but they do have some requirements that seemed more hassle than just putting myself through ielts again. Queensland health n nsw health were sponsoring last year..don't know about now. ..try healthstafftrecruitment, go on website n email them, they know all aus places that are looking to sponsor on 457 n take u through whole process, arrange interview etc, very quick n supportive n free, that's how I did it. Good luck

Do ielts again..your nearly there in terms of your marks..just opt for academic one this time then your covered for visa and anmac if u need it...academic ielts isn't harder just different in some sections...I had to do ielts three times to get marks I needed for points....I got 457 sponsorship with new South wales health (only needed 12 months experience) then I applied for 189 after few months in aus n done just the modified anmac assessment so didn't need academic ielts just needed ielts for visa points. I looked into 190 too when I was getting sick of ielts, not all states require work experience but they do have some requirements that seemed more hassle than just putting myself through ielts again. Queensland health n nsw health were sponsoring last year..don't know about now. ..try healthstafftrecruitment, go on website n email them, they know all aus places that are looking to sponsor on 457 n take u through whole process, arrange interview etc, very quick n supportive n free, that's how I did it. Good luck

thank you Lorna for your advice. I plan to retake the IELTS just to see how I get on. Additionally I have emailed healthstaffrecruitment this morning. I am going to work on putting a Oz style CV together and then hopefully get the process started ?.

Thank you again!

@Larad86 ur plan seems very much what mine originally looked like until I got in touch with my agent.

She told me that I would have to do IELTS (no other way around it) to get nurse skills assessed and then apply for APHRA before applying for EOI and visa application. The rules have changed and you would need to present in Australia to finish off registration with APHRA.

Where you looking to head?

@Charlottehill76 if we go down the 189 visa I MUST get 8 on IELTS. so that's where I'm starting. I have it booked for next Saturday. Fingers crossed. We are hoping to head to Perth. Although having contacted healthstaffrecruitment, unfortunately there is an employment freeze and therefore no vacancies for UK nurses. Our plan B may be working visa or attempt obtaining employment in other states to get a 457.

Where re are you heading @Charlottehill76 and how far into the process are you?

Sydney is the plan, we have friends there and my husband loved Sydney during his travels in 2000-1.

I was told I only needed band 7 for visa? And then that will give me 65 points for visa which is enough until I turn 40 (which is next March so up against it lol)

Is it because you need more points for your visa that you need level 8?

I've done IELTS, sent off to NMC for verification this week awaiting email to arrange payment, ive just paid anmac....

So at the moment I'm awaiting my agent to get back to me to say all my evidence is correct before sending in post but it's been a week and no email back from her!! Hopefully she won't be too much longer, with working full time over here it's hard to get time to ring and speak to her.

You only looking at sponsorship? We were, but we are now going on an independent hopefully so we won't be restricted to one job/state. Also more chance of getting job as adverts mostly seem to say no sponsorship available these days.

I work on the community here as district nurse so my chance of hospital work will be slim due to my experience and qualifications, my degree is in community health. Another reason for independent for us.

Good luck for your IELTS

Archived