Depressed in Melbourne! (sorry for all those who love it here)

Guest itskaren

Guest taffy 62
hi Taffy My family live in Bloemfontein. Do you know it?

Sort of trying to remember its been a while lol.

I lived in joburg a place called northcliff nr santon north of joburg, then we built a house west of joburg in a place called florida, just outside roodepoort.

I have been to the eastern transval, pretoria and cape town and of course sun city !

I lived there from 1982 to 1985 and my daughter was born there, so shes triple nationality lol. south african, british and austrailian lol.

Hi,Vul 885

Have just been reading your thread re:depressed in Melbourne have you settled yet? or do you feel the same? just wandered,as I have already ping-ponged and wander if I will ever settle in Melbourne also.

Guest peppapig

Hi there,

Sorry to hear how you are feeling. Just a thought, but would the hospital agree to annual leave whilst your OH is away? That way you wouldn't need the nanny and taking some time out might help you recharge.

We are here on a 457 too, OH is a nurse, and we are in the process of changing over onto a ENS visa. However, that said, the hospital have been great to hubby. He can book leave when he wants, change shifts, request certain days off etc. I am returning to work next week and they have just agreed to 2 set late shifts a week (or off, depending on the roster) so we can minimise the childcare we use. Is it possible they could rearrange your working pattern for you for something that would suit you better?

best wishes x

Guest kiwi

I agree. Do you absolutely have to work nights? I got so depressed working nights as I didn't feel I was part of the human race. Your kids are at school so can you explain your misery and negotiate some day shifts?

Guest Supertramp

Hi there - all I can say - and honestly with the greastest of sympathy - is I wish the internet was around when I did it because there are some really 'good people' out there. When I did it 25 years ago I had the good fortune to meet a girl who had just come out from Ireland and we moaned and cried on each others shoulders for months...well, 2 years actually (life can be a real beach you know). But in between that we had a lot of fun and good times. You really should try and meet up with people as I think your main problem is homesickness. (Not discounting your demanding job (& visa situation which I understand nothing about) which is not giving you any 'me time' or time with your kids at the moment . Pease don't go back - your new country needs you!!).

I hope you can ride this emotional time out until such time as you're really sure as you might find youself kicking yourself seriously hard in years to come (plenty have.......)

Best of luck:smile:

hi just read that you have already ping ponged. we are back home now after moving 3 years ago, i had new baby and looking back i think i was depresed because now i feel ok and we are wishing we never left. we only stayed a year, i have a large network of friends both x pats and aussies some hqave been over last summer to see us. we miss them all more than we ever imagined. my eldest is only 8 so we think give it another go. we will break grand parents hearts all over agin and i feel bad that i made us come back and now i think what a better life we all had out ther, especially for kids. help !!!!!

Guest fabouliz

hey there,

i am sorry that i missed your post when you first had it published. i had similar experience when i first moved to Oz. i migrated because i was offered the opportunite to relocate to another country when they decided to close the operation in my home country. all my friends were envious of me, and i was a bit apprehensive because i have never been to australia and knew nobody. i accepted the offer in the end.

my first 6 months was the toughest. i was in tears most of the time. i travelled for work a lot, and i didn't have the opportunity to build a new network of friends at my 'home city' because i travelled too much. all i remembered about my life then was rushing off to the airport, and being in and out of airplanes and taxis. the weekends were so short, and i was missing my life back at home. i nearly quit my job and went home but my friends kept on telling me to stay on. 1 year later, i was slowly making friends, including meeting my husband. unfortunately, i had to leave Oz after 18 months to join my husband in europe. now, we both want to go back to australia desperately.

to cut the long story short - it is true that the grass is always greener on the other side. but it is also true that grass doesn't assume its green colour immediately. the grass relies on the soil and the environment/elements for the seeds to grow before you can start seeing green! especially in australia where the grass tend to look a bit browner than i would have preferred ;-)

Guest gemmahey

to cut the long story short - it is true that the grass is always greener on the other side. but it is also true that grass doesn't assume its green colour immediately. the grass relies on the soil and the environment/elements for the seeds to grow before you can start seeing green! especially in australia where the grass tend to look a bit browner than i would have preferred ;-)

That was a great way to put it! brilliant thanks for ur honesty X:notworthy:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rachel L

Hey VUL - and Emma (we met on another thread a while ago - you're here). I live in the Eastern Suburbs, but willing to travel to lend an ear and shoulder. There you go, a friend already. And as I kept saying to Emma before, I love to crap open a bottle or two, so let's sort something out. Emma, and VUL, where are you based now? I'm in WHeelers Hill. Rachel x

Guest Rachel L

Hi Karen. Contact me at racheldelahaye@yahoo.com.au and we'll sort something out. I'm kind of manic this week, but next week I've got loads of free time so would love to meet up. Don't be alarmed by my regular comments on bottles of an alcoholic nature. I love a good coffee too. Look forward to seeing you. Rachel xx

Guest taffy 62

If i get back to victoria I will call in and visit you!!!!!!!!!!

Chin up this website is better than having the old fashioned pen pals as it almost chat line some times:smile:

Archived