where to live in Sydney??

Flake

Can anyone recommend a decent area in western side of Sydney that's a decent commute to the city?

Would like a safe family friendly area, house rather than an apartment and some green space as a preference!

Currently staying in Kings Langley (with my in-laws) which is a lovely suburb but I would quite like to find an alternative suburb to make our own (plus a little distance is healthy!)

the other crappy factor is budget- need to stick to $600 per week at the moment as we have a small baby.

It's annoying that my husbands work is generally confined to the city as it means we can't go where we actually want- we are stuck with what could logistically work.

In a perfect world I would live up on the central coast but it's not a perfect world and Sydney doesn't appear to be either!

I do love living in Aus though

It's annoying that my husbands work is generally confined to the city as it means we can't go where we actually want - we are stuck with what could logistically work.

I cannot recommend many places Western; as on the whole I dislike the Western side.

Although I like the Wallacia area but that is 40kms south of where you are now.

About 20kms north of you is Cherrybrook, Glenhaven, Kellyville, and Castle Hill, and these are nice safe family friendly areas. Most of the houses would have gardens. And it is nearly rural; so plenty of green space in the surrounds.

There is not train line there at present; but one is currently being built. So in the meantime, you would have to drive or catch the bus to the nearest train station (Pennant Hills I think) and get the train into the city from there, which is pretty quick on the fast train. Or just drive direct to the city daily.

You can rent a 5 bedroomed house on a parcel of land for $580.00 a week here: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-kellyville-416363609

Kellyville is around a 40 minute drive into the city

Other nice family area closer to the city could be Hunters Hill or Lane Cove. Although probably beyond your budget.

I suggest having a drive round one weekend and see what area take your fancy.

I don't really know (or like!) the Western Subs, but I do have a soft spot for Penrith, which is actually further from the city than where you are now, but it has the bonus of the Blue Mts train to the city in 50 minutes, three stops, Blacktown, Parramatta, Strathfield. You could just move south to around Blacktown, but I don't care for Blacktown, just my personal prejudices emerging, but last time I walked around, I thought it was ugly with its brutal modernist architecture.

Penrith on the other hand, has a proper 'town', as opposed to a 'suburb' ambience, with all the facilities you need, medical services, hospital, shops, cinemas, etc.

I don't actually agree with you that 'a little distance is healthy', but again that is my personal prejudice/bias. When my Mum had her accident in England, we were living seven and a half miles from the hospital, which meant a fifteen mile round trip twice a day.

I'd love it if my brother lived in the next street to me, rather than sixty kilometres. We would still have our own lives, but if anything happens, illness or accident, it will be a hassle for either of us to visit the other.

Here are some more:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-cherrybrook-416240417

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-duplex+semi+detached-nsw-dural-416322697

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-castle+hill-416314937

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-nsw-glenhaven-412819347

The further out you are....... the cheaper, bigger and nicer the house it seems.

Personally I would rather commute in and have the lifestyle at home - than live in the city in an expensive shoebox sized apartment. But some people who are into the "cafe scene" positively thrive on inner city living. A friend of mine lives in Balmain and adores it. She cannot understand why I would want to live by the beach. I cannot understand why she lives living in such a congested high density area. Each to their own.

I am currently driving from Palm Beach to Gordon train station (takes 20 - 45 minutes depending on what time I leave home), and then fifteen minutes on the train from Gordon to St Leonards. And then a ten minute walk to work into Crows Nest. Now I could make things easier by living in a unit near work, but that would make me depressed. I want to have the "lifestyle" that Palm Beach offers, and so I am happy to commute.

I use to live near Dural and I was more than happy to commute from there too. Another place I lived was literally only a two minute drive from my place of work. So you just need to weight up the pros and cons when choosing a place to live. What do you want more? To be in a crowded area with expensive rents near work? Or benefit from more green open spaces to raise a family?

Again, go for a weekend jaunt and see what area take your fancy.

We are in Leonay and lots of people commute from Emu Plains station (several friends of mine cycle to the station and then train into the city). But it is a 50 minute train ride, and far longer by car.

We love our area, and Glenbrook and the rest of the lower blue mountains. Very pretty and lots of activities nearby. But then I don't commute in to the city (well I do go to the airport but thats monthly rather then daily).

Edited by CaptainR