Subclass 143 Contributory migrant parent visa

nyorksgrannie

Hi, I am a new member and we have applied for a 143 visa and believe this could take 12-18 months, does anyone know how long it is taking at the moment? How long does it take from being assigned a case officer which I believe to be after 12months in the queue? We are in our late 60's so want to join our family ASAP.

Guest geordie joe
Hi, I am a new member and we have applied for a 143 visa and believe this could take 12-18 months, does anyone know how long it is taking at the moment? How long does it take from being assigned a case officer which I believe to be after 12months in the queue? We are in our late 60's so want to join our family ASAP.

Hi

Welcome to the waiting room. Within the migration section you will see a sticky thread for parents visas, where you will find details of current timescales etc and lots of help and advice. Unfortunately at present its taking approx 22 months due to back logs in the immigration dept.

Regards

Joe

Hi

Welcome to the waiting room. Within the migration section you will see a sticky thread for parents visas, where you will find details of current timescales etc and lots of help and advice. Unfortunately at present its taking approx 22 months due to back logs in the immigration dept.

Regards

Joe

Thank you for the info although I wish it was better news! 22 months is a long time, I understand they centralised all their offices into one in NSW which is probably part of the problem.

I believe the parent visa center is in Perth and they have been doing a good job. There were some delays due to the tsunami of applications for non-contributory parent visas and annual quotas. You can always stay up to date by sending a quick e-mail to parents@border.gov.au.

EDIT: You can always come over on a long stay visit visa while your parent visa is in process. Applicants who lodged a contributory visa application can easily get a 1-year long stay visa valid for 5 years. You can stay in Australia for 12 months in any given 18 months.

Hi thank you for this info, it is not an option for us to spend a year or more on a temporary visa as we have a house to sell nearer the time of moving permanently, private pensions etc. which we can't move until we have a visa, it is easier to put money in than get it out again! We are going for holidays of about a month but feel in limbo. The gov link will be useful thank you, I will give them a try for update.

Many thanks,

S

Hi thank you for this info, it is not an option for us to spend a year or more on a temporary visa as we have a house to sell nearer the time of moving permanently, private pensions etc. which we can't move until we have a visa, it is easier to put money in than get it out again! We are going for holidays of about a month but feel in limbo. The gov link will be useful thank you, I will give them a try for update.

Many thanks,

S

You are going to have to wait, this much is clear. The only way to make the wait more bearable on yourselves is to not focus on ithe wait and don't let yourself feel in limbo. Focus on what you can control, carry on living your lives, you currently live in a great and very interesting part of the world, plan to make the most of it over me next couple of years, make lists of things you always wants to do and work your way through them, you might not get another chance.

My mother in law applied on 2 Sept 2013 and received confirmation her application had been lodged on 16 Sept 2013. She was also told 12 months by immigration. I told her it would be at least 18 months. She received her case officer this week after 22 1/2 months. They are not speeding up at the moment. I'd work on 18-24 month time frame if I were you and check again with the Immigration Department on timeframes before doing medicals or Police checks.

You are going to have to wait, this much is clear. The only way to make the wait more bearable on yourselves is to not focus on ithe wait and don't let yourself feel in limbo. Focus on what you can control, carry on living your lives, you currently live in a great and very interesting part of the world, plan to make the most of it over me next couple of years, make lists of things you always wants to do and work your way through them, you might not get another chance.

Very wise words Bungo. After being in receipt of our visa for over 2 years now and still no sale on the house, we have been taking advantage of spending time with family and friends, visiting places from the past as well as the stuff we always intended doing. That said, I do wish somebody would buy our house so we can move on to the next adventure (and because the Au$ is 2.13 to the UK£).

Regards, Val

Archived