Living and schools in Frankston

KiwiKaye

Hi all,We're currently contemplating a move within Melbourne to Frankston area. I know the high school has a good reputation, but does anyone have any experience of generally living there, and also primary schools. We are currently looking at a house which would be zoned for Frankston Heights Primary.Any info would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
If you do a google search on Frankston and drugs it might be a bit of an eye opener.

People will tell you I'm not a fan of Frankston but really I think if you put most suburbs in with drugs it would bring something back. To the OP I agree with Starlight avoid Frankston North although saying that I think again the Pines area gained a reputation that it will never shake. Frankston South is nice especially around Humphpries Road. People use to say avoid the cemetery area, again I think it's all based on days gone by. Personally though if I had to move there I would be looking from Humphries Road right down to Mornington.

I am presuming the cheaper housing is drawing you to Frankston?

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I already knew about Frankston North. It is the cheaper housing, but also the beach and the high school. OH has started a new job based in Braeside, which makes the bayside area a logical place to look. We also looked at Aspendale Gardens, but the prices are ridiculous to buy, and there's not much of a community feel there. It's just a suburb, no matter how nice. Frankston may have its gritty side, but it seems more like a self-contained town. I work in the city so will have to put up with the commute, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Frankston Heights is ok its above Karingal and a lot of the homes up there have full views of the bay. South Frankston is not the only nice part of Frankston, Tahnee Lodge, Lakewood all good, there are many primary schools. Derinya gets a good wrap but you need to live over in Frankston South and the blocks are large around it Drugs yes there are drugs but they are everywhere, I met a lad who was up on the scene and honestly people live in crown cuckoo land if they think that there are no drugs in their area, the more money in the area, the more drugs actually.

I find Brits knocking Frankston funny as most people who live there are first or second generation Brits so that says a lot about us Brits.

Finding somewhere to live is like taking a tatts ticket, either lucky or unlucky and if you rent at least you can move somewhere else.

Hi Petals,

Thanks for the reply. We've taken the plunge and bought, but its a question of finding somewhere we can afford to buy these days. I have a cousin and his family living in the area and we've been living in Melbourne for some time, so the area is not completely unknown, but visiting on weekends and living there are two different things!

Suburbs change all the time, too. A couple of years ago I would have said avoid Dandenong but now it seems a very vibrant multi-cultural area with a great market- and it feels much safer than it used to. Many years ago I remember it as a livestock market area, a big country town- now it is more urban but it has a certain life about it. Guess Frankston is another area which has probably changed too. Didn't know it was a 'British' area, never heard that. Mornington is a town I associate with the British.

Suburbs change all the time, too. A couple of years ago I would have said avoid Dandenong but now it seems a very vibrant multi-cultural area with a great market- and it feels much safer than it used to. Many years ago I remember it as a livestock market area, a big country town- now it is more urban but it has a certain life about it. Guess Frankston is another area which has probably changed too. Didn't know it was a 'British' area, never heard that. Mornington is a town I associate with the British.

Just shows Starlight that you don't really know the area. Its very very British, Karingal Hub has always had Brit stuff at the butchers etc, and you are hard pushed not to hear an English accent. The migrants of the early years settled around there and they are now retired and still live around there, lots of old Brits around. Hence their offspring talk like Aussies but they are first generation as well. Its always been British so that is why I find it so amusing that people bag it. Its the people who come in from the surrounding areas to access the drug facilities, hospital, tafe, uni and all that, some of them can be very dodgy but they do not live there.

• 2 months later...
Guest biomedical scientist

joining the conversation a few months late but... hope you have found what you want in Frankston now. We have lived there for over 2 years and love it!

The only British person I have come across so far is in Cash for Gold shop - she sounds like Toyah Wilcox! Frankston is full of characters - you can be yourself -and there are great shops too! (not to mention a fabulous beach) what more could you want?

The people criticising Frankston North may be wide of the mark as I read an article the other day predicting it could be the next suburb to gain in value, as close to beach, train etc and one of the few in that category that is still affordable to buy.

The people criticising Frankston North may be wide of the mark as I read an article the other day predicting it could be the next suburb to gain in value, as close to beach, train etc and one of the few in that category that is still affordable to buy.

I suspect you may be right. There have been a few houses for sale recently in the central Frankston and Frankston North areas which look very nice - people have spent some time and money on them prior to sale. Wasn't the case a few years ago.

What is happening in Frankston is that the wise and informed have found that they can buy an old house for 300 or under if they are lucky, knock it down and build a new one for the same price as developers on the fringe are selling new houses on 300 sq metre blocks. The average block in Frankston is probably over 600 and a lot are 800 as they were not allowed to be small in days gone by. I have thought of it myself when I want to move off the acreage however by then everyone will have discovered the process and being doing it.

Where else can you get a new block of land the size of the land old houses sit on in Frankston, none I would imagine. Then there is the thing you get all the services that area already in existence, train, hospital, university, you name it its in Frankston because Frankston is a hub.

The problem is that a lot of canny builders also know this and they get the blocks and stick town houses on them or if its a corner block two single story dwellings as they can get a lot of money for them. Older people love these two on a corner ones as there is no body corporate to worry about.

So we should really keep it under our hat.

To some extent this is happening in Somerville too, I have noticed a few older houses on large land suddenly becoming two story lovely homes.

Where else can you get a new block of land the size of the land old houses sit on in Frankston, none I would imagine. Then there is the thing you get all the services that area already in existence, train, hospital, university, you name it its in Frankston because Frankston is a hub.

That's what attracted us. Trying to buy a house anywhere in Melbourne these days on a budget is difficult, but a lot of the suburbs between where we live now (Mount Waverley) and Frankston don't have much in the way of facilities - they're just housing. Frankston may be further out commute-wise for me, but it has more going on for the kids, especially with one starting high school next year.

Frankston isn't too bad I think. Love having access to the beach, did a quick search for a random address and the crime rate is not too bad as well. We are in the west and have been thinking of moving towards that area. Not sure yet. As I work in the CBD, from experience it seems like the access to the city is better from the west though.

Some people commute from ares on the westernport side of the Peninsula not that I would want to do it. However if not working in the CBD and working south then areas like Tyabb, Hastings, Bittern come into play, old areas with older homes and larger blocks but less expensive. My mum lives in Hastings now as its nice and flat forher at 96. She lived in Frankston till she was 88. When she moved to Hastings she could not get on a doctors list. I used to have to bring her here to Somerville. Now Hastings is down by the head with bulk bill clinics, there are three of them large ones and also the doctors surgery which has always been there. Also lots of new housing, has all the facilities and the train. Tyabb, Hastings and Bittern are all on the Stony Point Line. I love going to Pelican Pantry and looking over the boats at Hastings, as it does not get the wind that Mornington gets and is much more sheltered. Lovely off the leash dog park and childrens facilities, large pool etc. Nice areas around, Shoreham, Balnarring, Merricks.

What is happening in Frankston is that the wise and informed have found that they can buy an old house for 300 or under if they are lucky, knock it down and build a new one for the same price as developers on the fringe are selling new houses on 300 sq metre blocks. The average block in Frankston is probably over 600 and a lot are 800 as they were not allowed to be small in days gone by. I have thought of it myself when I want to move off the acreage however by then everyone will have discovered the process and being doing it.

The problem is that a lot of canny builders also know this and they get the blocks and stick town houses on them or if its a corner block two single story dwellings as they can get a lot of money for them. Older people love these two on a corner ones as there is no body corporate to worry about.

So we should really keep it under our hat.

To some extent this is happening in Somerville too, I have noticed a few older houses on large land suddenly becoming two story lovely homes.

I have an old house in Frankston on a 900 sqm block which I have decided to sell due to problems with tenant. To get some idea of the current market I went to an auction. The property was the same size as mine but it had plans and permits for 3 townhouses. The estimated price range was $550,000 to $650,000 - it ended up selling for $718,000! I don't think you would get anything under $300,000 except maybe in Frankston North. So of course I now have engaged a town planner/architect to get the plans and permits for 3 townhouses to maximise the value. Frankston has always been the bargain basement for bayside property but people's attitudes towards Frankston are changing and values are starting to rise.

Archived