How often do you (or would you want to) head back to the uk to visit family?

PommyPaul

Exactly. We never went back for the first 15 yrs as we thought the money would be better spent setting ourselves up here. I sometimes wonder if some of those who return, do so because they use their money making annual pilgimages to the motherland instead of making their lives more secure here. I remember a while back someone saying that they went back twice a year!!!!! They were a one income familY!!!!!! How the hell did they manage it?

Totally! We haven't gone through all the heartache, anguish and effort to emigrate to so say make a better life for ourselves and our kids, to then when we get here keep worrying about how we're going to get home again! - oh the irony! Lol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Totally! We haven't gone through all the heartache, anguish and effort to emigrate to so say make a better life for ourselves and our kids, to then when we get here keep worrying about how we're going to get home again! - oh the irony! Lol

Absolutely! Our life is in the here and now not the past or even the future. We pay private school fees for our son which cost the same as a couple of flights back to the UK. He and his future are more important than a trip back to the UK to smooth our fevered brows.

We were very fortunate to have free annual flights paid for by the ohs company, in 10 years we only used them once to go back to Scotland, and that was only because the FIL was very ill. We always felt that we would rather spend the time and money visiting other places and have an actual holiday.

We were very fortunate to have free annual flights paid for by the ohs company, in 10 years we only used them once to go back to Scotland, and that was only because the FIL was very ill. We always felt that we would rather spend the time and money visiting other places and have an actual holiday.

If they are transferable, and they are business class, sign them over to me! Not that I'm in any hurry to go back to England, but for a free business class seat, I could be tempted.

I think to start with we'll wait for a few years and I'm sure we won't be short of visitors, afterwards we'll probably go back fairly often as it's only me and the Mrs, I'd imagine it's much more difficult to do when you have kids

Archived