ADF transfers

Guest Al&Jo

Guest hookers

Hi Janine

My OH is a Sapper too. We sent our paperwork off last year, or rather OH did, and we are waiting to see if the Labor Agreement is going to be ammended to allow Drivers and other trades onto it. The guy we email has told us that they are waitng for the government to decide what they want to do. But if it all goes through then they will let us know what we need to do next. So we are still in limbo. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. We just want to get out there. OH misses the Army so much after 22 years.

Suzi

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dave_Asher

Hi Janine,

Can’t see why taking debt from a credit card over would hinder your visa application, then again I am no expert on this and I suppose it depends on how much you are talking about. We were lucky in that we cleared all our debt, sold our house as we did not want any ties (apart from family and friends) left with the UK. Both of us were worried that if we did keep the house then if things started to go wrong and it did not work out then it would be to easy to throw in the towel and go back to the house in the UK.

There are plenty of other forums online that are similar to this one and it may be a good idea to post your question there, I will PM you with a list of the ones that we used, you may find many people on here also use them.

On the job front for yourself then I think there would be lots of opportunities for the work you do, I know there is where I work and that’s the beauty having a permanent visa is that you are able to work. Unsure where everyone is getting the info from about the OZ Army not needing to recruit, they have a massive recruiting and retention problem, nearly as bad as the UK. It could just be that with the new Government they want to find out more about the process but they should know most of it by now as they had a shadow Armed Forces Minister when they were in opposition.

If you want to come over that much then just keep trying, it does take a while and as I have said before it is frustrating but well worth it in the end.

Regards

Dave

Guest Jan and Russ

Hi Suzi

Thanks for reply! funny your from Nottingham, so are we, infact going up in morning!

Anyway not sure whether to be worried regarding you still waiting to see if your OH will get in due to labour agreement!

My OH is a Brickie/Combat engineer/instructor, so hopefully they will need something like that? Application only went of on Weds, We have nothing to lose aswell because if we get accepted great infact super great if doesnt get in then stay in british Army , keep re-applying or check out NZ army (husband detirmined to get out of GB)

Guest weegwa

Hi

2nd attempt at reply - don't you hate it when computers kick you off this system.

Anyway, my first suggestion is go to the Army Rumour site ARRSE and find the Lat Tran link, load of good info on guys who are in the process of applying or already there. One guy who's working in Canberra (so ought to know) is saying the ADF is going from Army light to Army medium so has got to increase by so many 1000's by (guess here as I can't remember exactly) approx 2012ish.

This WO1 you work with, has he ever tried to transfer, or is he just one of the multitude of folks who appear out of the wood work who seem to know everything there is to about the process but have never actually taken that route themself? Some of these folks are positive,but so many are totally negative (I reckon they are jealous) - so my advice here is ignore your WO1 and go for it, be positive.

I'm a QA (nurse) so I've been offered my transfer on that basis. O/H's trade isn't on any 'most wanted' list, so he's going over as my spouse, but as the spouse of someone who holds Oz citizenship (I will do after 3mths, if I pass the test that is) you can apply to join the ADF. So guess what he's going to try - he's already been in contact with his trade folks and they are making very positive sounds of interest, so just have to wait and see once we arrive.

We almost ended up being neighbours, but for a last.minute.com change of posting, we are in sunny surrey instead.

If you need any more info let me know or if you want a chat pm me your details. Keep the faith and go for it.

Weegwa

Guest Nelg77
Hi All,

I was told that all technical ranks who transfer into the RAAF, transfer in as Leading Aircraftman, no matter what rank you were previously. Has anybody heard or experienced different to this??

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

This could well be true. I have just sent off my initial application and received an email straight back saying that I will have to drop from CPL rank in the RAF to an LAC in the RAAF as an Avionics Technician. I did ask what the immediately transferrable skills were even if I was promoted to Sgt soon. The reply was that we do not have immediately transferrable skills to go straight into the RAAF. This does not really bother me as its the lifestyle and family benefits that I regard as more important.

Has anyone else here gone from the RAF to RAAF, if so how has the process been for you?

Regards. to all!:twitcy:

Guest AndyJo&Lewis

Hi Nelg77,

Thanks for the reply. i have since spoken with the lateral recruitment office and they confirmed it. You pretty much go back to square one, do an aerosystems course, type course and then compete for corporal. No timed promotion despite previous rank. There are up to WO rank from other militarys that are joining on that scheme, that is what you will be up against, food for thought. I have decided not to apply as I am applying for PR and hope to get it before leaving, so taking a chance in Civvie Street.

Thanks for the reply, want any more info then PM.

Andy

Guest thistles and gum trees

Hi - we transferred over here from the RAF in October. Have been here nearly 6 months the RAAF is fine and all going well. Hope all goes well with you guys.

Guest nev_n_angie

Hi Sarah & Dave!!!! How the devil are you??

Things went well with Mum and Dad I hope - Nev's Mum over at the moment and LOVES It!!!!!

Anyway...... goodluck to all going through this....we've been here since September 07 and wouldn't wish to be anywhere else. YES you're wallett is constantly open when you first get here, but all sorts itself out!

Best of luck!

Nev and Angie in Canberra!

uote=thistles and gum trees;222342]Hi - we transferred over here from the RAF in October. Have been here nearly 6 months the RAAF is fine and all going well. Hope all goes well with you guys.

• 1 month later...
Guest thistles and gum trees

Hey Ange!!!! Its been a while! - FOR ALL RAF TRANSFERS, RE HOUSING.......

Just wanted to say to all of you who are thinking of transferring from the RAF to the RAAF - although you may drop some ranks - things over here in some aspects are quite different from back in the UK. For example housing. I know that sometimes when you make Sgt in the RAF your housing improves -and the thought of gong backward in rank may make you worry here - dont! Housing here is completely different and much much better. There is very little rank/housing structure. For example - my OH is a Flt Lt and we have 3 children. We live in a 4/5 bed home with 3/4 public rooms. The couple that have just moved in across the road are not married, 20 years old and he is an AC. They have a lovely 3 bed 3 public room house with double garage and large garden. Everybody lives in the same areas reagrdless of rant here and there is no problems in that way at all (you just pay less if your rank is lower). It is very good as far as that goes - so as far as that piont goes, dont worry about losing your housing allowance/entitlement. There are lots of other differences that are much healthies down here!

PS> Angie are you coming to visit before we head north????? Love to Nev and the kids and tell Floppy we have bought him a friend - 18 week old Beaglier called Archie!

We have been here in Sydney since last September, husband left Royal Navy and joined Australian Navy. We felt very much left on our own to sort it all out but I think there maybe plans to improve the 'settling in' process.

Any questions just pm us and we will do our best to help.

Blondie

Guest hookers

Fired off another email to the Lat Trans peeps yesteday. Got a reply today to say that there is still no news from DIAC to the Labour Agreement being ammended, so no time scale for us. Told to hang on in there even though they know it's frustrating for us. Frustration doesn't even cover it! :arghh:

On the upside though. Hubby has been successful for an FTRS post, just meds etc to do now. So we may go for that for the time being now we are almost at the stage to put our house on the market. Then get a quarter, hang on in ether while DIAC sort themselves out (fingers crossed), then it will just be a case of inteviews and paperwork with no house to sell. Well that's the plan anyway, I'm sure something will come along to mess it up as per normal.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Nelg77

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any RAF techies past or present currently in the RAAF or in the process of recruitment? I'm just waiting for an offer of service at the moment and cannot wait for it.

It would be good to hear from someone who has taken the leap to the RAAF and what they have experienced so far.

Guest Jan and Russ

Hi Everyone!

Had an email back yesterday to say that my OH application that was sent on 10th June had been found suitable for a trade perspective transfer! He has now got to complete(or get completed!) Entry Medical Exam record, I presume this can be done by the British Army doctor!

When these are complete we have got to forward them back to Overseas Lateral Transfers in Australia, along with blood testing results (Does the British Army do theses?)& overseas police checks and a few certificates! But there is no explanation of how we go about getting the police checks! My OH needs UK and German police checks - Any ideas?

Please help anyone?????

Janine:nah:

Guest ponym110

Hi Janine

I'm now in the final stages before joining the RAN in Nov.

He needs to complete the medical/ blood tests via the Army along with the rest of the ADF application forms. Once these have been sent off and approved the next stage is to recieve an offical job offer which will then prompt an application from the ADF for the Labour agreement. Once all this is approved you can then start the visa process.

This includes the Police checks plus more medicals for the entire family including your OH but with a Civilian Doctor. The Police checks for the UK can be done via the ACPO website at the address below but they are only valid for a year so not worth doing until you've recieved the labour agreement. Not sure about the German ones as i didn't need to do this.

Timescales, I recieved my labour agreement April, sent off my visa aplication/civilian medicals/Police checks June and recived the visa back 14 days later.

Any more questions just ask.

Phil

Association of Chief Police Officers Vacancies

Guest Ady and David

Ponym - Hi Mate I'm also in the final stages - I sent my Visa application 23rd May and Meds off 20th June - They have all my items they needed - They requested a copy of my discharge cert. Sent that last Friday via email and hard copy. I emailed my case officer twice no reply. Provisionally booked to enlist 30th September - Flights are booked too. Can you confirm you received your Visa after 2 weeks of them receiving your Med results? Dave

Guest ponym110

I sent my meds to Sydney the last week in May, the following week i sent my visa app and supporting documentation off. 2 weeks later visa came via e-mail, never had a case officer or any contact with immigration as it all happened that fast.

Now just waiting on the offical movement order so the funds can be transferred to Australia house for flights etc. Are you flying to Singapore??

Guest Ady and David

Yes Mate fly to Singers first then fly to Oz on the 3rd.

I sent my meds to Sydney the last week in May, the following week i sent my visa app and supporting documentation off. 2 weeks later visa came via e-mail, never had a case officer or any contact with immigration as it all happened that fast.

Now just waiting on the offical movement order so the funds can be transferred to Australia house for flights etc. Are you flying to Singapore??

Guest ponym110

looks like we are a couple of weeks ahead of you paperwork wise but with all the delays last year we've got comittments in the UK until October, hence why we are flying out November. Still at least it means we're not bein rushed with removals/housing.

Guest Ady and David

True mate - Once we get it I'll organise the Leaving do. Housing etc - Removals are coming next week to size up.

Guest Jan and Russ

Many thanks for your reply, it is so good having people that are or have been in the situation! OH got his medical next with the army medical officer so fingers crossed will have meds go off in the next fortnight!

Thanks for support! Janinex

Guest ponym110

No problem

Don't be surprised if it's a couple of months wait once you've sen the medicals off to the ADF.

Guest alan_blue

hello there, im in the proccess of transfering over to the RAAF from the RAF as a CPL Rigger at cosford. Done most of the stuff really, medicals interviews and that all done just security clearance left. Anyone have any info on that?

well also visa meds are done and visas went in the post today so fingers crossed hey.

Dont really know a lot about postings yet, all i know is that i go to Wagga for a period of time to re train! oh well back down to no responsibility lol

its good to find some like minded and in the same scenario people

• 1 month later...
Guest ponym110

Help !!

After 2 years of being told i would be going to Melbourne i've now been told i'm going to be based in Sydney. So with 2 and a 1/2 months to go it's all change but we haven't a clue where to live etc. What areas should we be looking at and more importantly which areas should we avoid.

We're going into DHA property for a year or so until we find our feet which helps but don't want to somewhere that make things harder to adjust and ideally we'll want to settle in the same area permanently. There seem to be properties everywhere and i'm expecting to travel up to an hour to get in to work at Waverton.

Ideally we'd like to be within 10-15 mins of a beach, anyone with experience of Sutherland shires. It seems to tick all of the boxes.

:radar:

Guest hookers

Sutherlandshire is a lovely area. Not lived there but my sister does in Yowie Bay. Great Public School and not too far from Miranda shops and train station. Have a look back a few pages and contact Dave Asher. He lives in Carigbah - again same are as Miranda and Yowie Bay - should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck with the move!

Guest pjscouse

Hi

My husband came out here through the ADF, he had his interview last October, he came out of the British Army in December, visas came through at the end of March and we flew out on the 21 April 2008. There is a lot of British Soldiers coming over here at the moment.

We are living 30kms of Sydney and loving, although the Australian Armys way of doing things is a lot different than the British. If there is anybody else coming here please get in touch.

Archived