ADF transfers

Guest Al&Jo

Guest kaz68

yes we got germany and uk checks done, and for daughter who is over 16...how long did yr labour agreement take to come through?..ours was sent for on 28th may...yes i know, not even 2 weeks..want it like yesterday. kaz x

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nev_n_angie

We sent the Conditions of Service back to Canberra at Christmas - not a good time to expect anything to get done, but at least the ball was in their 'court'!

We received our Labour Agreement early Feb 07 - it usually takes 4-6 weeks, but they seem to have had every bugger and his dog applying to transfer - can't blame them eh??!!!!

Roll on September!

Angie

Guest uksniper
yes we got germany and uk checks done, and for daughter who is over 16...how long did yr labour agreement take to come through?..ours was sent for on 28th may...yes i know, not even 2 weeks..want it like yesterday. kaz x

Kaz you need to work back from your arrival date for your police checks and medicals. They need to be less than a year old.

The visa will be valid for one year from the date on the police check or medical, whichever is the oldest. You will need to validate by arriving in country by a set date given on your visa (usually one yr from issue - going by medical/police check dates)

I am in the same boat as you - arriving June 2008 therefore I have got all medicals and police checks done after the date I plan on arriving in country.

I hope this explains it. If your not sure ask your immigration officer, they are very helpful.

Guest kaz68

uksniper, hi, does that mean our visa is gonna be a year from our last police checks?? havent even sorted medicals yet..very confused, OH away...what a suprise. must remember to look into this or it will alll be my fault! thanks. kaz

uksniper, hi, does that mean our visa is gonna be a year from our last police checks?? havent even sorted medicals yet..very confused, OH away...what a suprise. must remember to look into this or it will alll be my fault! thanks. kaz

Your medicals and Police checks are valid for 1 year. As long as your visa is granted within that year, you do not need to get new Police checks or medicals. If it takes longer than the year for your visa to be granted, you will need to get new ones.

We had our UK police checks done Aug 06 Xrays 16th March07 and Meds on 26th March 07

and our Saudi police checks may 07 (finally) however our visa states we need to have entered OZ by the 16th march 07.

It would appear that our visa was done from the xrays and not police checks. Even though we applied for visa on 27th Feb 07

Tracey

Guest kaz68

hi, i might be having this trouble aswell, as sent off for police checks back in march...OH dont finish uk army till may!, if the visa says he/we have to be in oz by march...could be expensive!!! cant we just get another police check??? kaz

Guest nev_n_angie
hi, i might be having this trouble aswell, as sent off for police checks back in march...OH dont finish uk army till may!, if the visa says he/we have to be in oz by march...could be expensive!!! cant we just get another police check??? kaz

Hi Kaz

I have just sent of for a further Police Check for Hubbie as he's got to have one less than 3 months old for the extra security checks - something to do with the job he'll be doing.

I would send for another just to be on the safe side - it's £10 each for piece of mind!

Angie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pabloke99

I've read most of this thread with great interest, if not a little trepidation. I've been invited for interviews in October 07, and we plan to move accross in Oct 08. One concern is the impending police checks! Is it true that we need police checks for ALL countries lived in? I lived Germany 1991-92, in Hong Kong in 1992-93, Brunei in 93-95 and UK ever since, will I need Police checks for all of them? If so any clues about where to begin (I've seen the Brunei info - V useful).

Also, anyone made plans to bring their dog over to Oz?

Guest nev_n_angie
I've read most of this thread with great interest, if not a little trepidation. I've been invited for interviews in October 07, and we plan to move accross in Oct 08. One concern is the impending police checks! Is it true that we need police checks for ALL countries lived in? I lived Germany 1991-92, in Hong Kong in 1992-93, Brunei in 93-95 and UK ever since, will I need Police checks for all of them? If so any clues about where to begin (I've seen the Brunei info - V useful).

Also, anyone made plans to bring their dog over to Oz?

Hiya

You are correct with regards to the Police Checks - although, not too sure how you'd go about getting them from the various Countries you've lived in"!!!

We are taking our doggie!!! - ADF pay $650 AUS for you to take dog over - you pay around £2,500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worth it though!!

Best of luck!!!!

Angie

Guest pabloke99

I read a link somewhere that the Army refunded the entire cost of moving. Visas, police checks, hotels, pets, petrol - the lot. All you needed to do was keep all of the receipts and present them to the admin staff of the receiving unit, then......voila!

Can anyone back this up, or is this a bit of a myth?

Unfortunately i cannot find the thread again

Guest nev_n_angie
I read a link somewhere that the Army refunded the entire cost of moving. Visas, police checks, hotels, pets, petrol - the lot. All you needed to do was keep all of the receipts and present them to the admin staff of the receiving unit, then......voila!

Can anyone back this up, or is this a bit of a myth?

Unfortunately i cannot find the thread again

They do refund your removal, visa/meds costs etc which includes police checks etc - BUT the ADF only re-imburse a fraction of the costs for pets!!!

You'd think they'd pay all of it?? After all, our doggie is far better behaved than the kids sometimes!!

Angie

I thought Police Checks were only required from countries lived in from the last 10 years?

That's right. We only had to get Police checks for the countries lived in from the past 10 years. Didn't have a problem with that at all. And yes the ADF are very good and quick (in our experience) at refuding all expenses.

Guest The Spoonies

Hi,

The German Police checks can be done via the contact that you get in your information pack (when you get it)... our German police check came back faster than the UK one (13 days vs 28).

Good luck with the interview, we're currently sitting in the airport at KL waiting for our flight to Sydney.

With regards to your dog I would recommend Par Air, they have been great and cost just under 2,000.

• 2 months later...
Guest pabloke99

Last week I received an early morning phone call from Sue Laurance at SCMA to tell me that I had been turned down on medical grounds...Bombshell. 11 months work for nothing.

But.. We have consequently decided to apply independently and have found out that comparative civilian jobs (in Aus) in my field pay a damned site more than the salary offered by the ADF; and we can decide where we want to live, as opposed to where the ADF want to send us.

So, although it may be a case of sour grapes on my behalf, please take it as a word of warning to all you prospective ADF transferees...please don't put all of your eggs in one basket; I had been offered a job as a WO, given a date for interviews and even been briefed on the jobs available, then...Bang! So now, with just over a year left to serve in the British forces, I have to start all over from scratch. BUT WE'LL DO IT!!

Paul

Guest uksniper
Last week I received an early morning phone call from Sue Laurance at SCMA to tell me that I had been turned down on medical grounds...Bombshell. 11 months work for nothing.

But.. We have consequently decided to apply independently and have found out that comparative civilian jobs (in Aus) in my field pay a damned site more than the salary offered by the ADF; and we can decide where we want to live, as opposed to where the ADF want to send us.

So, although it may be a case of sour grapes on my behalf, please take it as a word of warning to all you prospective ADF transferees...please don't put all of your eggs in one basket; I had been offered a job as a WO, given a date for interviews and even been briefed on the jobs available, then...Bang! So now, with just over a year left to serve in the British forces, I have to start all over from scratch. BUT WE'LL DO IT!!

Paul

Sorry to hear that Paul. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

• 1 month later...
Guest the1rab

Hi all

After reading the ADF related post's I think transferring to the ADF is a route I may take, but I have noticed, throughout the ADF threads that most mention where they will be going when they join their respective service in Oz, and I wondered if any of you have had a choice in your first drafts (or postings) or are you sent to these places as required by the service you are joining.

Also has any one any experience of transferring to a different service, as at the moment I am in the RN but I(and my family) would really like to see how the other half lives and join the Australian Army or RAAF is this even possible?

Regards

The1Rab

Hi Rab,

My wife is currently in the process of transferring to the Aussie army, she's had her formal letter of acceptance which includes posting (or draft in jackspeak!), rank and start date next June.

On the subject of going from the RN to Aussie army or RAAF, there was a guy on the same transfer board as my wife who is going from the RAF to the Aussie army.

I transferred from Royal Marines after 9 years to the Brit army, a completly different way of life, even here in the UK!

regards

Mark

Rab - I am transferring from RAF to Oz Army (at Oz Hse on 26 Sep last year) and know of several others who have done the same and a couple who have crossed over from the RN to Army too. The reason in this particular case is that we are all battlefield helicopter pilots and only the Army flies these in Oz unlike in UK where pilots from all services can do. I think the bottom line is that if you have the right experience, then they will consider taking you.

Regards

Breezy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We got an E-mail from Sue Lawrence on Thursday morning telling us we had been accepted! Due to the volume of work, as they have just returned from this years Oz house interviews we have not been told what rank my OH will go as or where we are posted. Should know in the next couple of weeks. Don't really mind what rank he goes over as or where we go, just want to get out there!!:jiggy:

Hi All,

We got an E-mail from Sue Lawrence on Thursday morning telling us we had been accepted! Due to the volume of work, as they have just returned from this years Oz house interviews we have not been told what rank my OH will go as or where we are posted. Should know in the next couple of weeks. Don't really mind what rank he goes over as or where we go, just want to get out there!!:jiggy:

Congratulations it will happen so quick form here we were in your position this time last year and moved out here end of july.

Good luck Tracey

Guest pabloke99

Well done to all of you that have been successful. I hope you get the postings that you want. I myself am now following the civvy route and it's a bit of a b*ll-ache, but I'm hopeful of a similarly successful outcome - and thus far things are looking good, just costing a bit more. Once again - Good Luck!

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was interviewed back in aug this year and got accepted on the day. the job offer came through in ocotber telling me i was going to enoggera, Brisbane (happy days). but due to a couple of problems, my visa app' was delayed in being sent. it has gone off to canberra now, and the medical stuff has gone off to sydney. i'm on gardening leave at the moment so as soon as the visa stuff comes through i should be able to get the movers in and start booking flights, etc.

if anyone has got any hints / tips / things you wish you could have sorted prior to arrival / know anyone in the RAE already, it would be great to hear from you.

Cheers

Adam

Archived