uk to nsw driving licence

Guest The McT's

Guest The McT's

I've been told I can drive on my uk lic. as long as I'm a temporary resident.

As we hope to become permanent soon, do I have a period of time before I have to get a NSW lic?

& does anyone know what, if any, testing I'd have to go through to get a NSW lic? (I've a full, clean uk lic. 10yrs+)

Guest The McT's

Ignore this post, I answered my own question on the rta site indicated on another post...

Hi,

I think you have 3 months, but your best to get a aussie licence as soon as you get here as it can be used for proof for other things when you need to show id.

Just go into the nearest RTA and you normally have to do any eye test,pay for how ever long a licence you want and then they give it to you a few minutes later - you just need to show your uk licence as proof of your id (& best to take passport too in case they ask)

Its all easy

gizmo

Guest The McT's

thanks anyway gizmo, I shouldn't be so lazy, should have thought of the rta, but I usually get good advice on PIO

Guest Jaynie

I am just curious.....when we arrived we had to take a proper driving test to get our Aussie license, but now it's different of course. What I would like to know is this...Do they destroy your UK license? someone said the RTA cancel/cut it up on you.

Does anybody know?

Jayne, My hubby had to take a test in 1994 when he originaly come over to live here, no they do not take your uk license - they didnt mine no holes not been cut up, just fine ready to use in europe.

giz

Guest Jaynie

Thanks Gizmo, it was just something somebody said to me in work the other day and it made me wonder, she had a nigerian license though so maybe that's were the difference is, she is a Nurse at Gosford hospital and said she didn't want to apply for an Aussie one as they would cut hers up!!

When i first came out in 2000 and got my aussie licence in NSW, i had to resit tests for car & motorbiek & they also punched holes in my uk licence!!! i then reapplied to DVLA for a new one :) so now i have both....lol.

Just a reminder, if you go back tot he uk dont forget the paper part of the licence as this forms part of your UK licence....

Archived