dependant child on 457 visa

abbie10

Hi

I don't know if anyone can give us some advice please, we are in Australia on a 457 visa which we are currently renewing, due to our age, we are 60 we have no other option, our daughter was on our first visa as she was under 18 but she is now 21 and we would like to keep her on our visa so she can remain here with us. we have been told that to be classed as a dependant child she needs to be enrolled in a full time educational course but we cannot seem to find any information as to what type of course would be acceptable. our migration agent hasn't been very helpful only saying that she can enrol in a short course. at the moment she is working and she wondered if an online course would be acceptable so that she can continue to work. we would be grateful for any advice please. abbie

She isn't a dependent child. she's an independent adult. I don't see how you're going to get away with this one unless she is mentally or physically disabled which would be an absolute valid reason for her to be a dependent child.

She isn't a dependent child. she's an independent adult. I don't see how you're going to get away with this one unless she is mentally or physically disabled which would be an absolute valid reason for her to be a dependent child.

That is not correct.

There are or used to be some provisions for an adult child on the 457 to proceed with the rest of the family on a transitional permanent visa, but I am not sure it would apply to a second 457. Carrying on with work and an online course is unlikely cut it. But I do wonder what is the long term plan here for any of you?

Being a student is the most common way of continuing the dependency for a visa. Whether DIBP will accept it is always a risk. If she (and you) wants to remain in Australia she should start considering longer term options such as studying for an occupation that would help her get a PR visa down the track - this likely would then require her to go back to school full-time. You could then perhaps be considered for a parent visa although this could mean the expensive option of a CPV.

Archived