Car insurance

Hodgies2Oz

Can anyone give me an idea as to whether Australian car insurance is generally the same as UK prices or will we find it is cheaper/dearer. Thank you

Hi Hodgies - I found it certainly no cheaper, but it does depend on what you drive. I think I was paying around $750 - $800 a year for each car.

Take over your UK proof of no claims - some companies will recognise them...

all the best

About the same. We are with Allianz and paying $570 I think. They don't seem to need your no claims info - Allianz and RACQ didn't want it. It was worked out on how long we had been driving which is a bit random!

Sorry to be dense but what do you mean by 2 types of insurance? We were advised by finance chap at dealership.

You have to have what is called CTP, compulsory third party insurance in Australia. This is a separate policy to your usual comprehensive insurance policy. Our CTP alone was about $500 and then the comprehensive insurance about another $1,200. This was on a seven year old Mazda CX-7, in UK we have a six month old Audi Q3 and it cost £350 to insure.

Thanks for clarifying! Just got out our policies to make sure after slight panic! Dealer threw in the CTP and our fully comp on 6 yr old Subaru was $556. Trying to keep track of everything is proving tricky :-)

I think fully comp includes third party cover.... you shouldn't need two policies. Fully Comp should cover you for third party cover as well...

No, not in Australia. CTP is definitely a separate insurance policy. It is also compulsory as the name suggests, so important not to forget it!

My VW Jetta costs about $550 a year fully comp (anyone can drive it, don't have to be named)

Registration (Including CTP in Queensland) Cost about $700 for the year

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone give me an idea as to whether Australian car insurance is generally the same as UK prices or will we find it is cheaper/dearer. Thank you

For us definitely more expensive in Australia because as has been stated there is the need for 2 lots of insurance. It is not a legal necessity to have property insurance, amazingly it is perfectly legal to drive just with the CTP injury cover. It is why it is important to get fully comprehensive as there ae a lot of uninsured drivers out there.

Archived