Melbourne vs Sydney

Indianinoz

I could have posted this in either Victoria or NSW so I've chosen Victoria. Though we're targeting Hobart, if we do not get a proper job in this city we might have to move to a bigger city like Melbourne and Sydney so I'd like to hear from people residing in these cities.

What are your views in respect to the comparison to these cities (I've seen numerous articles on the web as well as the comparison in numbeo.com) but I'd still like to hear from the people residing in these cities. I'm looking for the following points:

1) Pollution/traffic and greenery

2) Weather(I'd prefer colder climate than hot)

3) Vicinity to National Parks

4) Job Opportunities

5) Cost of living(rent/groceries/clothing etc.)

6) Quality and freshness of local food(the better the proximity of farms to the city the more the local produce I would guess)

What would you suggest? Which is your personal favourite?

Melbourne

1. Lots of traffic and congestion at the peak periods. Lots of greenery.

2. Probably a little cooler and less humid than Sydney. Not much difference really.

3. Lots close by.

4. Depends on so many factors.

5. Probably very similar to Sydney. Cost will be relative to your own earnings. If you are a high earner, it won't seem so expensive.

6.supermarkets everywhere. Not an issue. I'd expect Sydney to be the same.

Melbourne and Sydney are cities of similar size and I really don't think there is a great deal between them based on those factors.

Both have traffic, congestion and greenery. Both can get very hot. Both have parks. As similar size cities, you would reasonably expect similar level of job opportunities. Both quite expensive, Sydney would be higher housing. And if course fresh food is available in either city.

I would maybe suggest you visit each city to help you take a view, get a feel for each.

1) Both have great parks and the like. Victoria is probably greener than NSW. Traffic can be horrendous in Sydney, and Melbourne is not much better...

2) Here I would favour Melbourne clearly. Sydney is always quite humid when I go. For me Melbourne has an ideal climate, warmer than the UK but distinct seasons.

3) My wife who has lived in both cities prefers Melbourne as there are more places to visit in one day, while Sydney has great places that are more for weekend trips or several days.

4) Not sure, but I understand Victoria is currently the hardest mainland state to find work.

5) Not much difference I think.

6) Melbourne has a reputation for good food, and certainly has plenty of farmers' markets.

Archived