GCSE to HSE advice

kiwi44

Hi everyone,

I hope you can give a little advise about the Australian Education system regarding my kids. My oldest daughter is 15 (16 this year) and finishes her GCSE's next June 2016. Our dilemma is due to the differing start dates in the Australian schools where does that leave her when she enters the school system in Australia? She will be joining nearly half way through their final HSE year I believe and I am not sure if she would have to either go back a year or stay and try to sit the HSC's in their year time table.

We also have a 9 year old daughter going up to year 6 next year when we move, (if we stay for our oldest's GCSE's) and again would she have to repeat year 5 or carry on with their year 6?

Any advise would be much appreciated as we are very unsure about the nitty gritty of the school systems in Aus.

Thanks in advance,

Connon

So they'd be going into the Aussie school system around this time of year? After the mid-term holiday.

The school will probably spend some time with you to fit them into the most appropriate year group.

One of my kids actually jumped forward a whole year. Middle child wasted a few months in classes doing stuff she had just completed in Scotland, and youngest went into primary at the appropriate age level here.

I'd say that your 16 yo will probably need the most careful planning. Year 11 and 12 are the biggies here. They do a year 12 subject in year 11, and then really ramp up to the year 12 exams the following year. There are no year 10 exams like gcse's. Year 10 is about getting into the right classes and subjects to study in years 11 and 12.

Hi Suzukiscottie,

Thanks so much for the info, that's really interesting and useful to know, either way I think she will end up doing it twice and that's not a bad thing really. She will already have done her GCSE's at the end of year 11 so by the time we get to Australia (visas permitting) she will have to catch up and do year 11/12 so it should all work out.

How did your kids adjust to the different school systems in Aus?

Cheers,

Connon

The yr 11/12 thing is important. She should enrol in yr 10 when you arrive then start yr 11 in the Jan.

Yr5/6 is no big deal, no exams or anything, just enrol with the age cohort.

There will be no repeating or going back, it's a foreign country with its own systems, nothing she will have done before. If you have any choice let her finish Alevels before the move - they travel well (better than the reverse) and keeps all her options open.

Check with the school. In Qld, my son did the last Term of Year 11 and is now half-way through Year 12. Because he got decent GCSE grades, we have been able to apply for credit towards his overall result here using them. Obviously, it will vary depending on State, but he has transferred really well and is doing fabulously here!