Moving to cairns

Lizzie0309

We are migrating to cairns from uk me and my husband and two boys 3 and 6 , we are only 27 and been together 10 years and this has always been something we wanted to do in our life and have decided the kids are getting old enough and basically had enough of uk ,

can any one inform what cairns is like for kids ect and any Advice would be muchly appericated

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I know what it is like for kids but the overwhelming opinion from people who live there/have been is that you need to be able to cope with a lot of humidity. Have you been before?

I'd imagine the beaches are probably not as safe for kids up there either but I'll let someone wiser discuss that.

Not many people migrate to Cairns so you may not get a quick answer. Personally I wouldn't go there, mainly because I can't handle humidity. You've probably never experienced humidity, so it's hard to describe what it's like (I'm in the UK now and hear people complain about it being "muggy" on what feels like a winter's day to me!). On a hot day, humidity makes the heat feel much hotter, because the sweat can't evaporate off your skin. I find that very unpleasant, but some people don't mind it.

You get mosquitos all over Australia, but in Cairns they now carry dengue fever and Ross River fever which are nasty diseases.

It also can't give you the Aussie lifestyle you may dream about. You can't swim in the sea from November to May (i.e. summer) because there are marine stingers in the water - but actually the nearest beach is 20 kilometres away anyway. To be fair, some of the beaches have stinger protection and there is a huge artificial swimming lagoon in town.

Why did you pick Cairns?

I personally love Cairns. The weather would put me off ever living there but I've been on holidays a few times and think it is absolutely beautiful. If you can get work (what do you do?) and don't mind hot humid weather I think it would be a great place to live. Good luck1

Guest The Pom Queen

Lived in Cairns until a few months ago and now moved to the next town. Cairns is paradise, I cannot say enough positive things about it. I cried when I left. One thing you do need to consider is work, if you haven't got a job I would probably reconsider. Also if any of you have severe health issues again you may have to think again.

People will tell you the weather is terrible, please don't listen as it nearly stopped us making the move. My husband hates the heat but was fine. I will be honest December, January and Feb can be bad BUT unless you work outside you will be fine, you have aircon in the house, car, shopping centres and work so it's only if you want to spend hours outside its hard going. From April until November the weather is perfect, blue skies everyday guaranteed no rain and 27 degrees during the day.

We moved up from Melbourne and my 3 children say it was their best move ever. My eldest who is now 21 went to Melbourne last week and said he still prefers Cairns.

Your children will love it there is so much going on for them. Just remember the sun is strong and without sun cream you can badly burn after only ten minutes.

If you have questions on schools or suburbs let me know.

Guest The Pom Queen

You get mosquitos all over Australia, but in Cairns they now carry dengue fever and Ross River fever which are nasty diseases.

It also can't give you the Aussie lifestyle you may dream about. You can't swim in the sea from November to May (i.e. summer) because there are marine stingers in the water - but actually the nearest beach is 20 kilometres away anyway. To be fair, some of the beaches have stinger protection and there is a huge artificial swimming lagoon in town.

Why did you pick Cairns?

I never ever got bit by a mosquito in Cairns, Melbourne on the other hand I got bit often. There have been cases of dengue but only a few people a year and it's never serious.

A lot of the locals wear stinger suits these protect you from the sun as well, they are like a diving suit, so they still hit the beach all year round. You can also go to the waterfalls at Milla Milla on the tablelands or at Crystal Cascades no crocs or stingers, most people have their own pools up there though plus you have the lagoon there which also has a man made beach and there is another beach area on the esplanade down by Muddys. The closest beach out of the city is Machans around 10km away. But a lot of people tend to live on the Northern Beaches so have close access to the beach.

Guest The Pom Queen
Can't say I know what it is like for kids but the overwhelming opinion from people who live there/have been is that you need to be able to cope with a lot of humidity. Have you been before?

I'd imagine the beaches are probably not as safe for kids up there either but I'll let someone wiser discuss that.

The beaches are safe, the sun isn't. Unfortunately there is only Port Douglas that allows sun beds and parasols to be hired out so you need to take your own otherwise you will burn. Even walking on the beach can be painful

An unusual choice but I personally rather like FNQ. Possible exception being Townsville, but guess that has improved since I was last there eighteen years ago. Weatherwise like the tropics, having lived quite sometime in Asia, but what made me quit Cairns was the appalling work situation. It took the best part of three months to get anything vaguely ok and then that wasn't what I was wanting longer term so finally left well before even a year was up.

If you are sure with work then I'd say give it a go. I have friends from Switzerland that moved there in 99 and found it dire for work the first year and a half but now well established and live at one of the better beach suburbs. They love after going through a roller coaster of emotions which almost cost them their relationship and ate away at almost their entire savings before coming together. So it can be done, if a slightly tougher gig than some southern locations.

I trust you have been there before though. Certainly best to know what your getting into and not just going on tourist promotion.

I quite like Cairns and have a been a number of times, I personally couldn't live there mostly because of the weather but for those who value beach life and near constant heat it could well be a winner. I know work can be hard to come by but as has been said if work has been organised already then give it a go.

I always found it quite odd and seemingly in a constant state of flux, because of the high number of backpackers and holidaymakers it just never seemed to be permanent. FNQ is my favourite part of the country though.

The humidity has to be experienced to really understand, the sweat will literally run off your body and how anyone manages to work outside of an air conditioned office I don't know. That was always the killer for me, I love it up there but the weather was just too draining. Stinger suits are a must for certain periods in the sea.

Ok so lots mixed feelings going on here , it seems to be dangerous place for children what I'm hearing is this true.? ( I'm so overprotective with my little boys and don't want mosquitos or anything to bite them lol I know it seems weird but I keep thinking of all these dangerous out there ... The reason it's cairns is we are living with my sister in law who owns a house out there and has been there for 7 years so she's kindly let us as a family leave with her for a year to experience it and make our mind up wether we would like to stay or not ... So scared of going now and so close just keep freaking out bout the animals and my kids if we don't do it now though we will never do it ... X

Ok so lots mixed feelings going on here , it seems to be dangerous place for children what I'm hearing is this true.? ( I'm so overprotective with my little boys and don't want mosquitos or anything to bite them lol I know it seems weird but I keep thinking of all these dangerous out there ... The reason it's cairns is we are living with my sister in law who owns a house out there and has been there for 7 years so she's kindly let us as a family leave with her for a year to experience it and make our mind up wether we would like to stay or not ... So scared of going now and so close just keep freaking out bout the animals and my kids if we don't do it now though we will never do it ... X

OK well dangerous is probably the wrong word to use. The facts are there are snakes, many of which are very venomous, there are crocodiles, there are jellyfish and there ae lots of bugs that bite. It would be wrong to say this isnt the case. You do need to be more careful than even elsewhere in Australia but that doesn't stop people functioning normally. To an extent you aren't going to be able to stop your kids being bitten by bugs, we can try our best but these things happen.

Am I correct in saying you have never visited Cairns ?

If a place to stay why not take a year out and enjoy. Most likely a part of the world (tropics)you'll never experience if not which may be a shame. Your SiL will know the ropes being there seven years. Cairns is Backpackers Central. Very international. Somehow 99.99+% survive croc attack/snake bite/ stinger fatality/sun stroke/

I was bitten by numerous mozzies never a problem. Disagree with Pom Queen though. Some years there are out breaks of Dengue Fever impacting hundreds. It is possible to learn which areas are worse affected though.

I wouldn't be put off though still small in number most years. A visual delight IMO (that part of country) At least go for a holiday for a month or two and explore.

The reason it's cairns is we are living with my sister in law who owns a house out there and has been there for 7 years so she's kindly let us as a family leave with her for a year to experience it and make our mind up wether we would like to stay or not ...

Aha, that makes a HUGE difference. You're not going to have to worry about temp accommodation (which can add up to a surprising amount), buying all new furniture etc. Even if you have trouble finding work, you don't have the worry of finding the rent money.

So all in all, I'd say - stop worrying! The worst that can happen is that you have a year's holiday and come home. Yes you will probably worry about the kids but it's all manageable.

Buy some Vitamin B1 tablets when you get there and make sure everyone takes one a day - it keeps the mozzies away. I was given that tip by someone who lived up that way - I am a mosquito magnet usually and it worked amazingly well for me!

Guest The Pom Queen

@Lizzie0309

Sorry but your post really made me laugh when you said it is dangerous for children and now you are scared :laugh: I am not laughing at you but more how people's opinions can make people start questioning themselves.

No harm has come to any of my children, my middle son is still there and Im heading back home (I still call it home) next weekend. It is the safest place in the world for children. We never locked our doors, we would often leave the front door wide open and go out. We lived on the edge of the rainforest, yes we had snakes but that was only when we had chickens and they were pythons so non venomous. Crocs, all my years here I have yet to see one in the wild in Cairns.

Seriously you will love it and so will the kids and I promise nothing will eat you.

Guest The Pom Queen
If a place to stay why not take a year out and enjoy. Most likely a part of the world (tropics)you'll never experience if not which may be a shame. Your SiL will know the ropes being there seven years. Cairns is Backpackers Central. Very international. Somehow 99.99+% survive croc attack/snake bite/ stinger fatality/sun stroke/

I was bitten by numerous mozzies never a problem. Disagree with Pom Queen though. Some years there are out breaks of Dengue Fever impacting hundreds. It is possible to learn which areas are worse affected though.

I wouldn't be put off though still small in number most years. A visual delight IMO (that part of country) At least go for a holiday for a month or two and explore.

99.99% please tell me the last person to die of a croc attack in Cairns, a stinger or snake?

Dengue the highest case we had was 2013 and I can't remember the exact figure but it was around 108 of these most were in the aboriginal areas.

More people are taken to hospital from encounters with domestic pets.

I do agree about the dangers of the sun though.

Guest The Pom Queen

Buy some Vitamin B1 tablets when you get there and make sure everyone takes one a day - it keeps the mozzies away. I was given that tip by someone who lived up that way - I am a mosquito magnet usually and it worked amazingly well for me!

Bananas are suppose to help as well.

My Husband and I moved to an hour south of Cairns at the start of the year, to a little township where it rains all the time! There we little/no job prospects there so have moved to the big city now!

We are 23 and 27, neither has a particular skill as such so are on the look out for low skilled jobs. It has been a struggle to find work. My husband was lucky and has temp work until November now and am still on the look out. Had several interviews and got more things out standing so its just a case of persevering. So if you have a skilled job you may have luck finding something. But defiantly not impossible, not having rent with cut down on worries a lot!

We have only been here this year (visited twice previously) and my was it hot when we first arrived! But i was living in a house then with no air con or fly screens so very hot to cool down. We used to have to go out to shopping centres etc to take advantage of the air-con. But if you are in a place with air-con then its really not that big a deal. Just make sure you always wear a hat and sun screen, I got very badly burnt a few times out of sheer stupidity. The British mentality of its not that bad am alright (or my laziness!) can result in some very painful days! After all this time i still get caugh out, i went to Mareeba Rodeo the other day and got burnt as i forgot my hat so now my face has sunglasses marks on and is peeling.

I had snakes in my previous place and it was horrible, i hate them! They were little tree snakes that lived in the roof! One guy in the pub told me he put some in his roof to keep away anything else! I seem to remember if they climb then they arn't poisonousness, but that didnt help me. But now am in a suburb of Cairns i havnt seen any ! Yay! I believe there might be some in the open shed at the bottom of the garden so i avoid that! But it the more built up places i believe it will be fine. Sometimes there are little ones on some of the walking tracks i have been on. Close my eyes and walk pass them freaking out like a 5 year old child is my normal reaction.

Cairns beach its self isnt nice and i dont think ive ever seen any swimming there, but the lagoon is nice and always pretty busy (mainly with backpackers as there transport is a little more limited) Put a short drive north is lovely (Palm Cove and Port Douglas being my favourite) Also Australians will swim in pretty much any water so creeks are normally full of people (just check for Croc signs) but again your family will tell you more

For us the hardest thing has been getting a 'social life' as such as we don't meet a lot of new people on a day to day basis. But if you have children and family here then that won't be an issue. Children are awesome social butterflies! I might be wrong here, but would you need to pay for schooling for your children? This is something i have discovered over the last few days that on some visas you have to pay for them to go. But please correct me!

I think the main thing if just been sensible, yes its hot, so drink plenty of water, stay inside 11-2 ish, wear sun cream. We came from Snow in the UK to crazy hot so that made it worse for us. But currently am willing to say its even a little cold in my room right now.

On the whole I would say give it a go! I was the same but didnt want to regret never doing it. Even if after a year you think no it wasnt for us, then go back to the UK. Nothing ventured nothing gained.... x

Guest The Pom Queen
My Husband and I moved to an hour south of Cairns at the start of the year, to a little township where it rains all the time! There we little/no job prospects there so have moved to the big city now!

... x

Lol I'm guessing Babinda or Tully, wow what made you chose there? A lovely area but nothing much for young people like yourself.

That would be Babinda. I started to like it, walking down the street to the shop and saying hello to everyone as everyone knew who we were (being i suspect the only English people there). But the mould, damp and jobs made us move.

My Dad has lived there for the last 20 years so we moved in with him to start with as it was free! He travels a lot so had the house to ourselves. Win Win, but NOTHING jobs wise at all, and employers weren't wowed with the prospect of us commuting every day. Had more luck with Smithfield on the old resume compared to Babinda!

But definatly visit Babinda Boulders if you come out. Its really nice and my favourite creek to visit!

Guest The Pom Queen
That would be Babinda. I started to like it, walking down the street to the shop and saying hello to everyone as everyone knew who we were (being i suspect the only English people there). But the mould, damp and jobs made us move.

My Dad has lived there for the last 20 years so we moved in with him to start with as it was free! He travels a lot so had the house to ourselves. Win Win, but NOTHING jobs wise at all, and employers weren't wowed with the prospect of us commuting every day. Had more luck with Smithfield on the old resume compared to Babinda!

But definatly visit Babinda Boulders if you come out. Its really nice and my favourite creek to visit!

Yes I love the boulders spent many years down there.

I know what you mean about mould, a loaf of bread having to be kept in the fridge, no ply wood furniture etc.

Smithy is fine and there is quite a bit of work around that area without travelling to the city but then you find the people who live out at the beaches all have the same idea.

Guest The Pom Queen
It also has a very ageing population, so it felt like most people were well in to retirement age. I have to say i think it would be a nice place to retire to!

I agree with you. It is the same with PD I could retire up there.

I think the whole thing is going to the unknown really I've never been and don't know what to except , also the thought of selling all our possions and if it don't work out for us we really will be returning to the uk with nothing and to start from scratch again is all an emotional roller coaster I really do hope we love it and make a life out there , obversly in uk we are not getting anywhere at the min , my husband is a fully qualified macanic and we have sent c.v over to his sister for her to send out , so hopefully he might have a job for us even arriving , sisters house fully air coned so I'm hoping weather won't be a prob for kids ahhhh so any things in my head right now , serious answer if you where in my shoes what would u do ? I'm a risking it ...? We are Litterly selling everything we own in uk and just going there never been ect lol crazy

Archived