Dental - where to go for cheaper dental?

Ravenswood

Because of my travel I've used Dentists in the USA, South East Asia, South America, the Middle East, Europe and Africa... Most of them were shocked that I had amalgam fillings from the UK, as that seems to be alien to most other countries (one Canadian Dentist was horrified and said it was illegal in Canada), anyway in the third world countries I had some very mixed experiences. I honestly feel much better having dental treatment in Australia, luckily its covered under my extras plan by Bupa, and the extras were available within 3 months (in fact a colleague who applied after me managed to get the waiting period for extras waived).

Because of my travel I've used Dentists in the USA, South East Asia, South America, the Middle East, Europe and Africa... Most of them were shocked that I had amalgam fillings from the UK, as that seems to be alien to most other countries (one Canadian Dentist was horrified and said it was illegal in Canada), anyway in the third world countries I had some very mixed experiences. I honestly feel much better having dental treatment in Australia, luckily its covered under my extras plan by Bupa, and the extras were available within 3 months (in fact a colleague who applied after me managed to get the waiting period for extras waived).

Re Canadian dentist....

http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/oral_health/faqs/dental_amalgam_faqs.asp#2

Personally I would never consider having dental work done outside Australia unless it was in the USA or Canada.

One of my daughters friends had work done in Thailand last year and has been paying for it ever since. She has not only lost the teeth that were worked on she has an infection in her jaw bone from an implant that is causing all sorts of problems. It looks like she is going to end up needing reconstructive plastic surgery and bottom dentures as a result.

Thanks for the insight.

Bad dentists everywhere I suppose.

Personally I would never consider having dental work done outside Australia unless it was in the USA or Canada.

One of my daughters friends had work done in Thailand last year and has been paying for it ever since. She has not only lost the teeth that were worked on she has an infection in her jaw bone from an implant that is causing all sorts of problems. It looks like she is going to end up needing reconstructive plastic surgery and bottom dentures as a result.

Waiting period of 2 months, many providers waive the waiting period, a lot of work is covered under general dental so is unlimited on the policy I have and yes major dental is capped but you dont need major work every year do you!

I was talking about Ravenswood and the dilemma he/she is in, not someone rocking up with a Holliwood set of teeth asking for insurance cover for the first time.

Archived