International student fees & tax return

Fyer

Hey guys

Im an intl student from the UK and am just about to do my tax return.

Can you advise whether I can make any claims on the fees that I have paid this year (totalling over $15,000) or related expenses that are tax deductible?

Any advice would be great.

So you want the Australian tax payer to subsidise your study fees? :-)

No such deductions that I know of. Would be nice though!

Only study related to your work post qualification, and if you are in the workforce , such that it may advance your career prospects with your employer, is tax deductible as far as I know.

If you are in any type of employment then there may be some small deductions allowed if it is for things directly related to your employment. (Uniform laundry, perhaps using home internet for work email etc)

Hey guys

Im an intl student from the UK and am just about to do my tax return.

Can you advise whether I can make any claims on the fees that I have paid this year (totalling over $15,000) or related expenses that are tax deductible?

Any advice would be great.

Of course it is not, the idea is to make money out of international students - not give them tax breaks funded (primarily) by citizens..

And a side point, but once in the workforce, I am pretty sure it is only training that is necessary for your role that is tax deductible, not training to advance your prospects.

Of course it is not, the idea is to make money out of international students - not give them tax breaks funded (primarily) by citizens..

And a side point, but once in the workforce, I am pretty sure it is only training that is necessary for your role that is tax deductible, not training to advance your prospects.

Thanks for your reply guys.

This is my situation.

I am an international student however I work at the uni I study; both my work and study are related. Furthermore, this degree will advance my position at work and I have worked here 6 months before I studied here.

Where does that put me?

Thanks for your reply guys.

This is my situation.

I am an international student however I work at the uni I study; both my work and study are related. Furthermore, this degree will advance my position at work and I have worked here 6 months before I studied here.

Where does that put me?

It wont advance your position at work as you are mainly regarded as a student, so the tax breaks available for people to claim for fees is not available - you will most likely be returning after your studies - 99% of students have to. So, it is not going to be advancing your career in Australia

It wont advance your position at work as you are mainly regarded as a student, so the tax breaks available for people to claim for fees is not available - you will most likely be returning after your studies - 99% of students have to. So, it is not going to be advancing your career in Australia

Thanks for your reply. I see what you mean but it dies advance my career; in the contract and eyes of my employer. Even if I attach my contract which states this?

Thanks for your reply. I see what you mean but it dies advance my career; in the contract and eyes of my employer. Even if I attach my contract which states this?

International students cannot claim tax relief on their study fees. That really is the beginning and end of it, most people would be studying to advance themselves in one way or another.

Archived