IELTS English Test help please!!

Anna

Hi everyone,

As those of you who have sat the IELTS test will know - it's the most annoying, ridiculous test ever! My partner is struggling a little and we were wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or helpful websites/YouTube videos which would help? He needs to sit the general training. Would really appreciate any help anyone can give!!

thank you,

Anna

Just use the practice papers on the ielts website and read up on how they want you to structure the essay.. Arguments for aguments against then a summery of your thoughts. That got me a 7.5 and I don't even know what grammar is. I found burton as the best test centre, maximum of about 18 people so it just feels like there is less pressure.

It took me 2 times to pass. Just don't under estimate or over complicate it.

Good luck

Hi everyone,

As those of you who have sat the IELTS test will know - it's the most annoying, ridiculous test ever! My partner is struggling a little and we were wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or helpful websites/YouTube videos which would help? He needs to sit the general training. Would really appreciate any help anyone can give!!

thank you,

Anna

Hi Anna,

the website below is very useful, I reckon it helped me pass first time.

http://ielts-simon.com/

I am biassed, but simple answer..... ditch IELTS and take PTE instead. I was driving myself mad taking IELTS TEST and practicing all evenings and waiting 2 weeks each time for my IELTS exam results, only to find out I had missed out on the required grade by 0.5 point. I took it a second time and got 9.0 in said module but then missed out on another module by 0.5 points. The IELTS exam format is, in my opinion, old school and out dated in its approach to point allocation and marking. You sit 4 modules and answer a question paper about each module, whereas PTE is much more modern and is totally computer based. Plus the questions go towards more than 1 module... So for any given question the answer could go towards the points make up of more than 1 module. Suffice to say, I sat PTE (having failed IELTS twice) and passed with almost full marks... the points system is different as it is out of 90, and I got 90, 90, 90, 88. Plus the best thing I found was I got my results the very next morning... had an email to say they were ready and so could login to get them. Tons better than waiting the 2 weeks with IELTS.

Don'y get me wrong, PTE Academic is still a hard exam and you need to have some practice beforehand online. I certainly couldn't have gone in blind, but that said... it is so more relaxing (a dozen or so candidates versus 100 with IELTS). I was lucky on my exam day in Cardiff that I was only candidate so had exam room to myself.

Would totally recommend the PTE Academic to anyone that has tried and failed IETLS a couple of times.

I am biassed, but simple answer..... ditch IELTS and take PTE instead. I was driving myself mad taking IELTS TEST and practicing all evenings and waiting 2 weeks each time for my IELTS exam results, only to find out I had missed out on the required grade by 0.5 point. I took it a second time and got 9.0 in said module but then missed out on another module by 0.5 points. The IELTS exam format is, in my opinion, old school and out dated in its approach to point allocation and marking. You sit 4 modules and answer a question paper about each module, whereas PTE is much more modern and is totally computer based. Plus the questions go towards more than 1 module... So for any given question the answer could go towards the points make up of more than 1 module. Suffice to say, I sat PTE (having failed IELTS twice) and passed with almost full marks... the points system is different as it is out of 90, and I got 90, 90, 90, 88. Plus the best thing I found was I got my results the very next morning... had an email to say they were ready and so could login to get them. Tons better than waiting the 2 weeks with IELTS.

Don'y get me wrong, PTE Academic is still a hard exam and you need to have some practice beforehand online. I certainly couldn't have gone in blind, but that said... it is so more relaxing (a dozen or so candidates versus 100 with IELTS). I was lucky on my exam day in Cardiff that I was only candidate so had exam room to myself.

Would totally recommend the PTE Academic to anyone that has tried and failed IETLS a couple of times.

I too am going for the PTE Academic. The revision seems more laid out and simple to follow, whereas the IELTS just seems to complicate things for no reason at all. Maybe that's because I am 21 and not ancient - that is my take on IELTS that is just doesn't meet todays technology!

The PTE Academic has a really good online revision website too. I paid for the Gold Package which gives me two marked test papers (you do it all from the comfort of your home) which are sent off and marked - results within 24 hours. You can then see what level you are working at and where to improve. For example, from doing the test papers, I got 90 (full marks) in Speaking, whereas I was lacking marks in Listening, Reading and Writing.

The aim for me is to achieve at least 80 in each module as I need "Superior" English for some extra points on my 189 Visa.

Good luck!

Practice practice practice... I took my ielts once needing all 8 and above and did it on my first go. I knew I was going to do this test a long long time ago and have had a good knowledge of how to take the test for some time.

Yiu have a be to make sure you're strict and practice under test conditions so you don't feel rushed when you're in the exam. Make sure you study plenty of different techniques and see which is best for you. On the writing exam I wrote down all the points they asked for and made sure I structured the sentences and paragraphs properly and ticked off the points they wanted covered as I included them in my essay. It's good also to look at punctuation and the different uses of commas and try to use them in several different ways.

It's all about being prepared, the reading and th writing tasks are the ones you really need to be spot on with. Also make sure you do the test in pencil so it's easier to correct any mistakes, when you've finished read it, read it again and then read it again to make sure you've got everything in there and displayed a varied knowledge of English.

Good luck

Archived