Help:- Where to settle in Melbourne?

Major Tom

Only if you drive - the Geelong -Southern Cross trains generally take one hour, and there are now more of them since the Regional Rail Link came in, and there are plenty of available seats on all trains. I work within walking distance of Southern Cross, but if you work anywhere in the CBD it can't be much more than 20mins away?

I strongly recommend Geelong West, we love it here, it is a great community - loads to do, plenty of great shops, restaurants etc and close to the coast. But house prices are rising fast here also...

Your lucky, I used to work in Richmond and it used to drive me mad getting out there from South Cross... Got a job in Geelong now so its no issue but I would have loved a job at NAB, Ethiad, Channel 9, AGL etc near to Southern Cross.

Your lucky, I used to work in Richmond and it used to drive me mad getting out there from South Cross... Got a job in Geelong now so its no issue but I would have loved a job at NAB, Ethiad, Channel 9, AGL etc near to Southern Cross.

Yes, getting to Richmond would be tough, good you're working in Gtown now… I am at NAB, though further up Bourke St a little, 10 mins' walk.

Thank you, How do I understand the grading on the schools?

The schools here aren't really graded as such.

You can use the info on myschools to look at things like how many kids are in the top tier of the school compared to Aussie average, how many go on to tertiary study, the socio-economic rating if the school etc.

In many cases you'll be limited to going to schools in the catchment area anyway. We had 2 kids who finished schooling at a local govt school who are both now in Uni doing very well. 3rd child in a local private school, for personal reasons I'm not going into, also doing very well.

A nice school environment does help no doubt, but the kids also have to be willing to learn. Unfortunately every school will have their small element of disruptive kids etc, so there is always an element of risk.

Get involved with the school, get to know teachers etc. it all helps.

• 2 months later...