Negative VETASSESS Outcome - help please

Ozhope

Hi all

we have today received via our agent a negative VETASSESS result.

It it states that my NVQ Level 4 Diploma cannot be recognised as the qualification was assessed as below the required level! The required skill level as also stated in their letter for my nominated occupation is AQF Diploma.

Our agent has sent a copy of of qualification comparisons which clearly shows that an NVQ Level 4 (listed on Ofqual) my NVQ cert is stamped by Ofqual, is equivalent to an advanced diploma.

Our agent is going to ask for an explanation and appeal, however in the mean time can anyone shed any light or offer any help with this please.

We are totally gutted at this point and appears to make no sense.

Thanks

Hi Ozhope,

Don't lose hope - I had a similar occurrence, appealed and received a positive result. It was rather annoying that it cost me a hefty appeal fee to point out what was essentially their error, but the result meant that it was worth it.

BrisVegas

• Like 1

Hi BrisVegas & anyone else who can please help / offer advice to me

Thanks for your response - we have received a response today from VETASSESS to say that the credit value and guided learning hours of my NVQ Level 4 Diploma is too low as their guidelines show a higher level of credit and GLH is required.

My agent was not aware of this, has never encountered this before and I am at a loss as to how anyone could be aware of this or know exactly what guidelines they follow. The Country Educational Guide (as supplied by our Agent) which is the guide that assessors apparently use clearly shows that an NVQ Level 4 is equivalent to an Advanced Diploma which is the level required and stated! But it does not stipulate that they must contain a minimum credit value or GLH.

There are very few NQV Level 4 Quals which have the ability to reach the required Credit value and Guided learning hours so I am a total loss how to move forward for this and feel like our dream is now over!! Even if I were to go for another qualification at a level 5 relevant to my field of work it would still not reach the credit value and guided learning hours that their "guidance" supposedly states is required!

BrisVegas was your experience similar to this? Can you offer any help or guidance or let me know what kind of information you supplied for your appeal please - could you PM or reply on here please? I'd be most grateful.

If anyone else at all can off me any advice at all I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Ozhope

Hi Ozhope,

Sorry to hear all this! My case was not similar to yours, but rather that the required qualifications for my profession had changed since I qualified ie the minimum level today is a Masters degree but that degree didn't exist in Australia when I qualified here. When I pointed this out, and that the fact that my professional certification body recognized my qualifications, I won my appeal.

Are you able to document that the minimum credit value is a new requirement, perhaps? Sorry that I can't really help you any further.

Perhaps someone else on the forum can help Ozhope?

Good luck!

Thanks BrisVegas for your quick reply and PM it is much appreciated.

Really not sure I have any grounds for appeal although I simply cannot understand how anyone is supposed to know the requirements of credit values or GLH for NVQs if the information is not available in the open domain and only compares a Diploma with an NVQ Level 4 with no further info.

My my agent has not come across this before n does not appear to have any advice to help! I'm hoping they come up with something.

hopefully someone will be able to offer some help to me.

Thanks again

[TABLE=class: MsoNormalTable, width: 90]

[TR]

[TD]

Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)

[/TD]

[TD]

U.K. Qualification Level (NVQ & GNVQ)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate I

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate II

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 1/GNVQ Foundation

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate III

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 2/GNVQ Intermediate

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate IV

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Diploma

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 3/Higher National Cerificate

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Advanced Diploma

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 4/Higher National Diploma

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Bachelor Degree

[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Graduate Certificate

[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Graduate Diploma

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 4

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Masters Degree

[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Doctoral Degree

[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

NVQ 4 is apparently mapped into Levels 4, 5 and 6 in the UK National Qualifications Framework, which corresponds to AQF levels 5, 6, and 7.

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/compare-different-qualification-levels

http://www.aqf.edu.au/aqf/in-detail/aqf-levels/

Presumably this is leaving scope for interpretation in the absence of further information.

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate I [/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate II[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 1/GNVQ Foundation[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate III[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 2/GNVQ Intermediate[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate IV[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Diploma[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 3/Higher National Cerificate[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Advanced Diploma[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 4/Higher National Diploma[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Bachelor Degree[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Graduate Certificate[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Graduate Diploma[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 4 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Masters Degree[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Doctoral Degree[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 2 years later...
On 6/29/2015 at 23:56, BrisVegas said:

Hi Ozhope,

Don't lose hope - I had a similar occurrence, appealed and received a positive result. It was rather annoying that it cost me a hefty appeal fee to point out what was essentially their error, but the result meant that it was worth it.

BrisVegas

3 years later and the same has happened to me!

I to have queried this with VETASSESS - my query has been passed to a Case Officer. I am awaiting his response regarding this. I can trace my Qualification from QCF > EQF > AQF at the required levels. Hoping its a simple case of appealing, providing the evidence (all from government websites so easy to find!) to have the result overturned. Watch this space.

On 7/1/2015 at 23:41, wrussell said:

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate I

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate II

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 1/GNVQ Foundation

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate III

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 2/GNVQ Intermediate

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Certificate IV

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Diploma

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 3/Higher National Cerificate

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Advanced Diploma

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 4/Higher National Diploma

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Bachelor Degree

[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Graduate Certificate

[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Graduate Diploma

[/TD]

[TD] NVQ 4

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Masters Degree

[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Doctoral Degree

[/TD]

[TD] Equivalent

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

@wrussell - are you able to re-share the table contents please as it may prove incredibly useful in assisting me in my appeal?  My case officer mentions

"While the major field of study in Teaching Aquatics in both qualifications is highly relevant to your nominated occupation, both qualification were assessed as having too few credits to be compared to Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) qualifications. As a result these qualifications were assessed negatively."

Yet I can link from 
QCF >EQF >AQF - surely if a qualification is determined as comparable on government websites & published as such - the number of credits for the qualification is irrelevant for a positive skills assessment? I also hold various CPD's which hold various levels of credits too...