Buying and registering a vehicle in Oz with no fixed address

Hi all

We arrive in Brisbane next month with 2 weeks short term accommodation and I am about to organise 2 weeks car hire. Will look to organise a long term let in that time. We then plan to travel to Cairns and all points in between until mid-September.

We intend to buy a car for cash in that first 2 weeks but it is likely that we will have no fixed abode anywhere (we will have sold our UK house hopefully). Does that give rise to any issues as far as registering the vehicle and insuring it is concerned. Can we use the short term accommodation address perhaps?

This must happen often for new migrants so any guidance or reassurance will be welcome.

thanks

David

You will need to give an address, do you know anyone who's address you can use ?

Suspected that was the case. We don't have family there or anyone that we know well enough so may have to use the short term accommodation address. I wondered what people do who arrive, say on a WHV, with no fixed address if they buy themselves a vehicle.

Suspected that was the case. We don't have family there or anyone that we know well enough so may have to use the short term accommodation address. I wondered what people do who arrive, say on a WHV, with no fixed address if they buy themselves a vehicle.

Yeah good question. We have always had family when we have arrived back in Australia. This may help.

http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/register/vehicle/index.html#checklist

We bought a car before we moved into our long term rental, I distinctly remember driving from the short term rental to the long term one in the new car. We would have therefore used a temporary address as we would have had no other option. I am sure that this is much better than using a friends address, lying on an official document like car registration seems like a very bad idea to me.

We bought whilst at a temp address. We also secured 50% credit with a temp address, just transfer when more settled.

We bought via a main dealer and think we got a good price plus they are required to give a 3 month guarantee on the car. Just make sure the car must have a current (think it lasts 2 months or 2000km's) roadworthy certificate otherwise walk away and the seller is risking a $500 fine. There is not a log book however you transfer the rego using an online form. Servicing here is important and ensure the book is stamped. Finally beware of hail damaged cars, they are hard to insure hence why they are cheaper.

Im selling my car over the next couple of weeks, apparently I'm told it will fly out due to being realistic with the price and it being a great low km's car so private sales are not bad and sometimes are actually more expensive than a well negotiated garage deal.

S

We just used our holiday let's address and then changed it when we moved.

You'll be here before you know it!!

Thanks. Seems obvious now but was getting one of those last minute nerves earlier. PIO to the rescue though.

So close now. Spent most of this week getting every bit of dirt off stuff. Really busy with a family wedding this weekend, a leaving party the following weekend and then we move out of the house. Still haven't exchanged contracts on the sale of the house but hopeful that solicitor at beginning of chain can get his act together.

Archived