Doctor / Dentist records

tiffanysamantha85

Hi there

My husband and I emigrate to Melbourne in August and I have read that we need to request and take our records from our doctor and dentist, is this correct? As I've heard doctors records are confidential and they can't just give them to you. Confused!

Thanks

Hi, you do not need to do this, but you may find it useful especially if you think a new doctor would be interested in the history of an ailment.

We got our records from our doctor - don't remember it being a problem but that was 8 years ago.

BB

Yes, I have got a copy of my GP medical records, when I left the UK in May. The right to request access or get copies of GP medical records only came about fairly recently.

I had to fill in a form requesting the "full" or "summary" version of my medical records; I got the summary version as my history is not very interesting/eventful. I think I paid £10 for it, but there is a cap of about £50-ish, depending on what your practice has put in place regarding payment.

Details + fees are included in this link: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

I didn't bother with the dentist, mainly because I didn't think about it until it was too late and also because my dental history is also very uneventful!

Yes, I have got a copy of my GP medical records, when I left the UK in May. The right to request access or get copies of GP medical records only came about fairly recently.

I had to fill in a form requesting the "full" or "summary" version of my medical records; I got the summary version as my history is not very interesting/eventful. I think I paid £10 for it, but there is a cap of about £50-ish, depending on what your practice has put in place regarding payment.

Details + fees are included in this link: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

I didn't bother with the dentist, mainly because I didn't think about it until it was too late and also because my dental history is also very uneventful!

Ah perfect thank you very much.

Found a subject access request letter template and will sort today :)

Some surgerys are very reluctant to hand over records, however, they have no right to do that ..... who do they think they are...

I wanted mine and the 'receptionist' tried her stonewalling act, there was a bit of a standoff but she handed them over.

I avoid GP's I have never found them of any benefit, not much better than 'faith healers' most people get better by natural remission especially if there is not much wrong with them in the first place.

Some years ago I saw a UK GP state that 80% of consultations are a waste of time, the people would recover just as well without involving a doctor.

The problem comes when you really are sick and see a doctor and get fobbed off, by the time they accept its not in your head it can be to late.

Sorry my predijudice again docotrs coming through .......

Your records are yours don't let any arrogant self - appointed dictator tell you otherwise.

Does anyone know if there is a charge if I want my dental records? I had an xray on a wonky wisdom tooth a while back. I think it would be good to have for furture reference!

We have always been given our xrays at the time they are done. You paid for them...so rightfully they are yours and you shouldn't be charged when they are handed over.

We have always been given our xrays at the time they are done. You paid for them...so rightfully they are yours and you shouldn't be charged when they are handed over.

Not true...well in the UK at least I'm afraid...

Can I see or copy my dental records?

You can see your dental records, but there are certain rules. A dentist must give you access within 40 days of the request. You are also entitled to copies of records, again, subject to certain rules and you may be charged a reasonable administration fee for copying records.

"Can I take my records from my old dentist to my new dentist?

The 1998 Data Protection Act states that a dentist is obliged to provide a patient with their dental records if requested to do so by the patient. When a dentist leaves a practice or retires from the profession they are required to leave the patient records with the practice.

The 2001 Data Protection (Subject Access) (Fees and Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Regulations 2001, state that a dentist can charge a maximum of £50 to cover the administrative costs of reproducing dental records for a patient"

Archived