PR visa expires in Dec 2015, do I need to RRV to leave country?

LisaR

Hi there

I hope someone can help. We are due to move to Perth in September and our PR visa (175) expires in December. If we wanted to leave the country after the expiry date for a holiday, is this possible? I'm aware RRV's are possible but do we have to remain in the country for 2 years to even be considered for this?

I'm also worried about having to leave for an emergency i.e. have to go back to the UK. If this is the case, do I need to arrange the RRV within Australia or can I do this from the UK?

Also, if the visa expires in Dec 2015, can we apply for citizenship 2 years after being in Australia or is it 4 years as a PR? I keep reading mixed reports on this.

TIA

Lisa

You would need an RRV once the travel part of your visa expires. I think though you should be fine to get one.

To qualify for citizenship, you must not have been outside of Australia for more than 12 months in the previous 4 years and not more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to application

After December 2015, yes you would need a RRV to return to Australia again after leaving. There is no such rule about having to be in Australia for two years before you can get a RRV, but you would have to demonstrate that you have ties, which would be fairly easy if you have home, job, kids at school and so on. Four years for citizenship, although for you it could effectively be as little as three years as you are allowed one year out of the country and that could be deemed the year before you move.