Teacher jobs in auss

Gemma

Hi, I'm a newly qualified teacher in the UK and wanting to set up camp in auss was just wondering if anyone knows if my teacher qualifications are valid in auss??

Well you might need to tell us what your qualifications are to be able to answer the question. Particularly was it 3 year or 4 year degree?

Haha good point! It was a 3 year degree in primary education I am planning on doing a masters in special education this year also. I have done some research and the most likely places to be offered teaching posts are in the remote areas, which for me sounds good but my partner is a plasterer, would there be any work opportunities for him in these areas??

Thanks

Yes I have a 3 year primary ed degree With Qts

Not enough. You need the 4th year a masters will give you.

You also need to ensure your transcripts show a minimum of 45 days supervised teaching practise.

Primary school I actually like the idea of working in remote region, it just depends on what work opportunities are also there for my partner who is a plasterer. Any suggestions on good regions?

Not really, i teach secondary on the outskirts of Melbourne.

The desire to go rural will help with the job opportunities for you, im guessing but im not sure about primary at all.

The chances of full time tradie work would probably be less though.

However i believe that skills are transferable, especially of you(he) is willing to work hard at anything that comes up.

Good luck.

Some will have no issues and both will end up working in their particular jobs within a month or so and live happily ever after,

Others will try, try, try and never find a job.

Pot luck sometimes.

I have a teaching post for September so will be teaching alongside my masters. How hard is finding a teaching post?

Thanks

Will that be 45 hours supervised teaching practice though? That's what you are going to have to demonstrate. Just teaching while you are doing your Masters isnt going to be enough if it isnt practice supervised through a University.

Primary teachers are ten a penny, I wouldnt be banking on getting a permanent position although if you are prepared to go out to Woop Woop (and most new migrants find that a really alien experience) you do stand a better chance

Fingers crossed I'm one of the lucky ones!! I'm hoping to find a job before I go but that could be wishful thinking! According to the research I've done so far I'm more likely to find work in the remote regions a d some schools will even sponsor you. I'm just a bit weary of just how remote these regions are. I like the idea but don't fancy being in the outback!! It's all very exciting though.

Yes it will be supervised I need to complete my NQT year through university to gain qts. What's the woop woop and how bad/good is it?? I quite like the idea of remote but not in the middle of the outback!!

Remote teaching is often in indigenous communities, which is usually quite unlike other kinds of teaching jobs and can be particularly tough and challenging but also hugely rewarding. Teachers are generally wanted to commit for three years as turnover is high which disadvantages students. Communities are varied and you can get a sense of what they are like by looking on the NT remote teaching website. Sounds like this isn't really what you're thinking of but might be worth considering if it's something that interests you. We very nearly went that route but our eldest son would be 6 and we felt it was the wrong age for him as we really want to go somewhere to settle long term (younger one would be fine and hubby would look after her). Rural (rather than remote) communities could be an option, though you are still likely to be in small quite isolated communities. But I'm sure many of these places would be great if you dont mind the small community thing - personally I'd rather that than go to a major city but it's personal preference :)

Ohhh!! Ok so more remote than I thought! I have a young family would the woop woop be a suitable place? Am I more likely to find a decent teaching post once there for a few years??

I am not sure I would advise anyone to go from UK to remote Australia, because I just don't think we Brits are made to really understand what remote means and how big Australia is. After living in Australia for a few years, doing some road trips and visiting some of the regional towns, one might be in a position to make an informed decision about living there. But no, I think it would be quite a risk to go there from the off.

Hi,

Your 45 days of teaching practice will need to have been part of your degree, the NQT year will not count towards it. You'll need a letter from your Uni stating how many days you did and with which age ranges. Is it you or your partner that will be the main applicant? Primary teacher is not on the SOL but is on the CSOL for some states but I think you need a job offer (which will be hard to do) . I don't want to come across negative because I'm a big believer in where there's a will there's a way!! If you are happy to go rural it can only improve your chances . Good luck!! Xx

Thanks for the advice! The challenge of the job sounds ideal as that's exactly what I want to do, the only concern I have is my son will be 12 when we are planned to move and schooling etc for him is important. Daft/naive question but is a commute to the remote communities plausible or would we have to live and work there?

Thanks for the advice!! I did 3 8 week placements as part of my degree so that's covered. I was going to be the main applicant however would it be better for him to be? He is a plasterer? Rural would be OK I've been advised that the remote communities offer more jobs. Would I start applying from the UK? I've read that schools can sponsor you but again this was mainly in the remote communities xxxx

Archived