whale watching

shak

Went whale watching yesterday! Good experience, would've been excellent if it werent for the sea sickness :(...saw 4 whales,and i totally missed the breach as the water was very choppy and i put my head down for just a second,when the commentator yelled 'whoa',looked up and just saw a huge splash,gutted!but still a cool experience, and must do.remember to take motion sickness tabs though if your sea sick,i wish i did.

Anyway ive heard of the cape solander view point for whale watching,and quite interested. Wondering if anyone on here ever been here?

Love whales and dolphins!

We went whale watching off the Gold Coast a couple of years ago, it was an amazing experience, definitely worth doing but yes maybe avoid it if you get sea sick. The have to go quite far out into the ocean. We've had the travel past here quite close to the beach. We saw them a few days after we landed here swimming off of Secret Harbour beach. We see Dolphins all the time, which is great but the Whales are just majestic.

In the winter here in South Australia if you go down to Victor Harbor you can usually watch whales from the shore - they come in really close too so you don't even need binoculars most times. There is a whale watching website that posts up details of where they have been seen etc http://www.sawhalecentre.com/whale-sightings/sightings-log/

Brilliant! Thanks for that diane!

Not much fun when a 12.4m whale is 3m below you and its tail is as wide as the tinny is long (5m). Used to get them 3-4 km off Minnie Waters, northern NSW. when we were snapper fishing in winter.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. As soon as one was sighted, it was a matter of informing all the fishos over the 2-way and retrieve lines as fast as one could...Don't want to hook 40 tonnes of blubber, now, do we?

Archived