Big hugs for Marisa

@Marisawright do come and talk to us here, it's disgusting the way the thread you started has been hijacked by the usual suspects to fight about where you can get the best breakfast :(

I know most of us here are happy as pigs in YKW back in the UK but most of us will understand entirely what you are going through because that's how we felt in Australia. Culture shock is the same whatever the direction.

Just remember nothing is forever - we honestly believed our migration to Australia was a one way ticket, both financially and because I thought my son would grow up an Aussie but he didn't and finances moved in our favour so here we are.

There are lots of countries in the world and with a UK and Australian passport you can live in quite a few of them :)

Give it time though - do some reading up on culture shock - wikipedia is a good place to start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

My heart goes out to you xxx

Thanks for the hug!! I'm well aware of culture shock, Lady R - in fact I remember mentioning it on these very forums when I first joined, and getting told it didn't exist! I know it does, because when I went to Africa (my oh was on contract there), we had to go to a briefing which included a long lecture on the subject. So I do know that's influencing how I'm feeling, I just needed to vent somewhere and this is the only place I could think of.

I knew coming back to the UK would be like moving to a totally alien country - I haven't lived here for 30 years, after all. I also knew, logically, that it was going to cost us a chunk of money to get set up. However it still doesn't prepare you for the reality (as we keep telling people who move to Oz!!).

What's made it worse is that everything we do, something seems to go wrong. Two days after arriving we got shunted in the back by some backpackers in a Kombi and had all the rigmarole of claiming insurance on the hire car. There was the Ikea delivery when we waited in all day, the guy finally arrived at 5.30, took one look at the five steps at our front door and said he didn't have a trolley so couldn't deliver. We were sitting on the floor in an empty flat at this stage so were desperate for the furniture! The delivery got rescheduled, the guy turned up with no trolley...etc etc. Then John Lewis was supposed to be delivering our bed but couldn't because we're in a new complex and their system couldn't accept an unregistered postcode - took them three weeks to work it out. We have to coordinate our every move because the building has run out of security cards so we've got only one between us. No broadband of course as they wouldn't take our order till we had a bank account set up and we can't do that until we have a utility bill (lease is not enough).

In the face of all these irritating setbacks, our natural reaction is to go out somewhere nice for a meal - and that's where our biggest problem is, because it is more expensive than in our part of Sydney, and the quality of the food is inferior. Others can argue till they're blue in the face, but unless they're comparing the inner West of Sydney with the South of England, it's totally irrelevant!!

Oh dear, a right comedy of errors which won't set you up to feel good! I do hope that's all the cr*p out of the way so you can take a deep breath and get to smell the daisies! The exchange rate is certainly a downer at the moment I agree! I'm struggling to remember where we had dinner when we stayed in Southampton over the New Year (far from memorable huh?!) but I do remember a very good deal on walking boots and cherry ice cream in the ice cream parlour. Nope, no recollection at all!

Oh dear, a right comedy of errors which won't set you up to feel good! I do hope that's all the cr*p out of the way so you can take a deep breath and get to smell the daisies!

I hope so too! Those incidents are only a small selection of what's gone wrong, actually! Maybe I need to find that ice cream parlour...

I hope so too! Those incidents are only a small selection of what's gone wrong, actually! Maybe I need to find that ice cream parlour...

At the top of the Main Street from recollection on a biggish intersection. Hugely calorific LOL

We've been back just over 4 months now, and the last 2 months have been much easier financially than the first 2. I've kept a spreadsheet of our costs month by month and for living expenses we now spend about £1000 per month. That includes all bills, food, eating out, fun stuff/treats and running 2 cars (but not rent/mortgage). In fact here's a breakdown:

[TABLE=width: 300]

[TR]

[TD=width: 75][/TD]

[TD=width: 75]March[/TD]

[TD=width: 75]April[/TD]

[TD=width: 75]May[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Food[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1064.83[/TD]

[TD=align: right]612.18[/TD]

[TD=align: right]596.72[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Household[/TD]

[TD=align: right]819.33[/TD]

[TD=align: right]369.49[/TD]

[TD=align: right]144.79[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fuel[/TD]

[TD=align: right]64.81[/TD]

[TD=align: right]272.64[/TD]

[TD=align: right]221.37[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BT[/TD]

[TD=align: right]98.39[/TD]

[TD=align: right]64.93[/TD]

[TD=align: right]9.54[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Water[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]31.82[/TD]

[TD=align: right]31.79[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Council[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]239.92[/TD]

[TD=align: right]121[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EDF[/TD]

[TD=align: right]45[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TV[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]145.5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mortgage[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.24[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EE[/TD]

[TD=align: right]10[/TD]

[TD=align: right]35[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cash[/TD]

[TD=align: right]90[/TD]

[TD=align: right]80[/TD]

[TD=align: right]165.08[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fun[/TD]

[TD=align: right]146.57[/TD]

[TD=align: right]288.23[/TD]

[TD=align: right]597.11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Presents[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]65[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Shipping[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]124[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Books[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2.17[/TD]

[TD=align: right]15.89[/TD]

[TD=align: right]8.46[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Life Ins[/TD]

[TD=align: right]41.75[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car[/TD]

[TD=align: right]29.09[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3747.14[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Furniture + appliances[/TD]

[TD=align: right]995.97[/TD]

[TD=align: right]315[/TD]

[TD=align: right]434.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Oil[/TD]

[TD=align: right]212.31[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dentist[/TD]

[TD=align: right]18.5[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Boiler[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3098.5[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Expenses[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]26.49[/TD]

[TD=align: right]-344.72[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=align: right]6737.46[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6520.22[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2082.63[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

May's total includes just over £400 for a motorbike trailer, and £400 for a bicycle, hence why I now say we're on about £1000. We always pay annual premiums for any insurances and all our were paid in March and April (2x cars and house insurance). The household figures have come down a lot too but we've moved into our old house which was rented and needed a new boiler and other maintenance. The £1k food bill in March basically restocked our cupboard and we ate out a lot. I didn't do a spreadsheet in Oz but we paid everything from my account and paid $2k per month rent and $3k for living expenses each month. So, once things steady themselves, I'm sure you'll see a reduction like we have. We too had been looking for a sofa and on a friends advice went to the British Heart Foundation. Got a beautiful upholstered chesterfield for £200.

It is shocking at first, but having done this 5 times in the last 10 years we knew what to expect. You get better at seeking out the places where you feel you're getting good value for money. And even I, who was desperate to move back, suffered a few weeks of culture shock, even though we moved back into our old house! I'm fine now, in fact loving each day and the opportunity we have here.

We bought one of our cars from The Car People. We also bought a 2 year mechanical warranty which might just pay for itself this week as one of the suspension springs has snapped! Having freedom with a car is essential if you can afford it. My car is a 54 plate VW polo and it's fantastic! Bought from my uncle but at market value for £3k. Cheap to run and spacious yet easily fits down all the lanes.

I'm waffling now, but get out there and start enjoying yourselves!

We've been back just over 4 months now, and the last 2 months have been much easier financially than the first 2. I've kept a spreadsheet of our costs month by month and for living expenses we now spend about £1000 per month. That includes all bills, food, eating out, fun stuff/treats and running 2 cars (but not rent/mortgage). In fact here's a breakdown:

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Food[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Household[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fuel[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BT[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Water[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Council[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EDF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TV[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mortgage[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EE[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cash[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fun[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Presents[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Shipping[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Books[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Life Ins[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Oil[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dentist[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Boiler[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Expenses[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

May's total includes just over £400 for a motorbike trailer, and £400 for a bicycle, hence why I now say we're on about £1000. We always pay annual premiums for any insurances and all our were paid in March and April (2x cars and house insurance). The household figures have come down a lot too but we've moved into our old house which was rented and needed a new boiler and other maintenance. The £1k food bill in March basically restocked our cupboard and we ate out a lot. I didn't do a spreadsheet in Oz but we paid everything from my account and paid $2k per month rent and $3k for living expenses each month. So, once things steady themselves, I'm sure you'll see a reduction like we have. We too had been looking for a sofa and on a friends advice went to the British Heart Foundation. Got a beautiful upholstered chesterfield for £200.

It is shocking at first, but having done this 5 times in the last 10 years we knew what to expect. You get better at seeking out the places where you feel you're getting good value for money. And even I, who was desperate to move back, suffered a few weeks of culture shock, even though we moved back into our old house! I'm fine now, in fact loving each day and the opportunity we have here.

We bought one of our cars from The Car People. We also bought a 2 year mechanical warranty which might just pay for itself this week as one of the suspension springs has snapped! Having freedom with a car is essential if you can afford it. My car is a 54 plate VW polo and it's fantastic! Bought from my uncle but at market value for £3k. Cheap to run and spacious yet easily fits down all the lanes.

Thank you so much fourcorners for this invaluable information, you are a star!! Can I just ask how many people are in your household?

We are a family of 4 and I was looking at recent media articles which said on average we would need 2,000 GBP per month for all things other than mortgage/rent, so your info has shown that its not quite that high and it makes a big difference when you're trying to work out what we need to earn to have maintain quality of life etc. Even seeing the cost of life insurance is a great help as we didn't know whether to keep it on here or cancel and your rates are much cheaper than ours in Perth which are over $200 per month.

Thank you for taking the time to upload this info :) so happy its all working out for you xx

Ergh, I typed a long reply this morning and obviously forgot to press 'post'!

We're a family of 2 adults and a 1 yr old. 3 bedroom detached cottage with oil fired central heating. We do have solar panels for hot water so that saves us a bit of oil when it's sunny! This is in Cornwall too so maybe cheaper than other areas (but lower wages perhaps). Hope that helps to put our figures into perspective for you.

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Food[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Household[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fuel[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BT[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Water[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Council[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EDF[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TV[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mortgage[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]EE[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cash[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fun[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Presents[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Shipping[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Books[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Life Ins[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Oil[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dentist[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Boiler[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Expenses[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Loving the budget line for 'fun' May was a bit wild!!!

Ha ha! Yes, it's very important to have fun. Although by memory most of that was the motorbike trailer. Not really that much fun in my opinion, but not an essential piece of life kit so it went into the fun category! It's going to be put to use later this week to take the motorbike for it's preliminary MOT, then all being well it's going to Exeter so get approved for road use in the UK then it'll get some number plates. OH rode it round the garden at the weekend and already knows he's going to have a lot of fun on it. He's missed it for the last few weeks!

I'll have to do an update for June soon....

Archived