Applying for residency after WHV

harrydalton

Does anyone now how soon you should start applying for residency and how long it takes (assuming I want to stay). I've given up my job and house here and taken the plunge to go and live with my Brothers in Brisbane. I'm worried applying for residency might be difficult and should get it started asap.

Has anyone been through it??

Thanks,

Harry

Does anyone now how soon you should start applying for residency and how long it takes (assuming I want to stay). I've given up my job and house here and taken the plunge to go and live with my Brothers in Brisbane. I'm worried applying for residency might be difficult and should get it started asap.

Has anyone been through it??

Thanks,

Harry

There is no such thing as "applying for residency". Australia has a visa system and you need to identify and apply for a particular visa.

Considering you have given up your job and house I am surprised you have not started the process for a permanent visa already, do you know which one you are going to be applying for?

Skilled migrant then?? I am a qualified building surveyor but I'll be working unskilled in construction (fed up of the rat race, meetings and sat on the motorway) but that's a different story. I can apply for an additional year on WHV anyway so I have plenty of time. I have one brother who is a citizen and one who is a resident so there is also a possibility of sponsorship.

Thanks

I don't think they can sponsor you. Trying to apply as a building surveyor once you come back to the UK is your best shot. However i'm not even sure that's on the list anymore, you would need to look at that. I know that surveyors were one of the jobs when I went to the immigration expos in england a few times

Skilled migrant then?? I am a qualified building surveyor but I'll be working unskilled in construction (fed up of the rat race, meetings and sat on the motorway) but that's a different story. I can apply for an additional year on WHV anyway so I have plenty of time. I have one brother who is a citizen and one who is a resident so there is also a possibility of sponsorship.

Thanks

Well if you plan to stay and you believe you qualify for skilled migrant visa now you should get cracking. Occupation lists change and you might find yourself ineligible if you wait. Family sponsorship by a brother means very little, you still need to qualify as a skilled migrant and it is a poorer quality of visa.

Well if you plan to stay and you believe you qualify for skilled migrant visa now you should get cracking. Occupation lists change and you might find yourself ineligible if you wait. Family sponsorship by a brother means very little, you still need to qualify as a skilled migrant and it is a poorer quality of visa.

Ok thanks Bungo I'll get started now. Project manager is on the list so I will make some enquiries.

Many thanks!

Well yes and no. I'm a qualified Building Surveyor which I should be using as a skill, but I'm actually going out there and working for my brothers construction firm (unskilled).

You do know you can only work for him for 6 months?