Best Overall TV,Phone and Broadband in victoria

ljruss2013

Hi all so we are a family of 3 moving to Melbourne in December (Still don't know exactly here) but was wondering if anyone could give any hints at where is best to go for TV,Phone and Broadband. I know it is really early to start thinking about things like that but a) I like to be super organised and b) it is a must because of my OH with work. Iv seen varied reviews about Foxtel and Telstra any help. Also how quick could we possible get at least broadband from a company seeing as we wouldn't have built up a credit score or anything by that time.

Many Thanks

I'm also with TPG, I pay $70 a month for unlimited ADSL2 and landline phone with some free calls and no contract which is good if you're renting. One bonus I've discovered is that with TPG I don't get any cold calls which seem to plague Telstra customers. No one telling you that your computer's playing up etc. And another plus is their customer service is excellent.

I'm also with TPG, I pay $70 a month for unlimited ADSL2 and landline phone with some free calls and no contract which is good if you're renting.

I think you will find all TPG bundles have a contract period. For your bundle it is 24 months. Anything less and the deal is rubbish.

Have you been with TPG for a while? Contract is continuous when you change address (we used to be with them).

Also, you need to check coverage. Go to the provider web site and type in an address to check (you could use a real address in the intended suburb, but may not be accurate without your real address). We moved to Heidelberg Heights and only Telstra is an option. This means no TPG or any other Optus network deals (which are usually cheaper).

However, last year Belong came along, so say a Telstra subsidiary.

https://www.belong.com.au/

We pay $80 a month for 500GB (recently got doubled from 250GB). No contract in this case.

They usually have deals and we got one month free and $1 modem (modem is mandatory normally $100).

The good thing was any connection was $150, as we were in a new unit and telstra connection to a new line normally cost $300 or so (as long as no cabling is required).

The bad thing is the service can be rubbish, much slower and frequent disconnects

If you don't have an existing phone connection (eg new build), the cheaper companies may not be interested, or charge heaps to connect.

As with so many things in Oz, services are pretty poor regarding data and comms. We are half the distance closer to the cbd and have virtually no choice.

We might be moving to Reservoir soon and its the same situation there. NBN is a pipe dream.

There are a few comparison sites around you could check out

Not sure where that came from. If you can go to the TPG web site and show where you get unlimited for $70 and no contract I will sign up.

Yeah doesn't seem to be there now, but i am too on no contract and unlimited. I abuse the heck out of it and never had any fair use issues, but yeah that clause does exist.

Hi all so we are a family of 3 moving to Melbourne in December (Still don't know exactly here) but was wondering if anyone could give any hints at where is best to go for TV,Phone and Broadband. I know it is really early to start thinking about things like that but a) I like to be super organised and b) it is a must because of my OH with work. Iv seen varied reviews about Foxtel and Telstra any help. Also how quick could we possible get at least broadband from a company seeing as we wouldn't have built up a credit score or anything by that time.

Many Thanks

Have a squiz at Whirlpool...

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Cheers, Bobj.

We are also with TPG. TV here can be a bit dire, so we signed up with presto (online on-demand TV/Movie content) and I love it. But the internet is very flakey (and we're in Ivanhoe which is pretty close to the city).

FYI We initially tried to get an unlimited bundle deal with Telstra as they have better mobile coverage in some regional parts of Australia (where my rellies live) but despite my husband having been transferred in a senior management position (and never missing a pay cheque) they wouldn't let us join as we didn't have a credit record. Ironically, it was easier to get a rental and even buy a property than have them sign us up (even though we offered to pay out the contract).

Broadband here is a joke. Expensive, slow and terrible service. Unlike the rest of the developed world, it's normal to have a contract limiting you to a set amount of data per month. Be careful with this. 100Gb sounds like a lot, but if you have Netflix, send a few photos and so on you'll breach it. If you do (we did) you'll be stuck in dial up modem speeds until the next billing cycle with not much you can do about it.

We are now on an "Unlimited" tariff. I use the inverted commas as it's not unlimited at all. The "fair use" policy can still hit you, so despite promising one thing, the Telecoms companies don't need to honour it.

We're with Optus by the way. I won't recommend them as they are a shower, however they are no worse than the rest and are cheapest for fibre optic (if you call $90 a month cheap). For that we get an unreliable and slow fibre optic broadband link - allegedly 100Mbps but in reality no faster than 10Mbps, a home phone which we never use (use the free calls on mobiles and an VOIP company for calls to the UK at $0.002 per minute), a poor wireless router and a really crappy "Fetch TV" box that's on a par with something from 15 years ago in the UK. Not really a problem for us, as Australian TV is undoubtedly the biggest pile of rubbish going, unless you like dross like My Kitchen Rules, My Block Rules or My Masterchef Rules. Get used to hours and hours of puerile, poorly made, cheap filler TV, with extremely loud background music. I think (outside of sport) we watch around 1 hour a week of TV that's not on Netflix and even then that's a programme they imported from Denmark called "The Legacy". Until you experience it, you won't know how bad television can be...

So, all in all a complete rip-off, risible levels of customer service and technology that's 15 years out of date, but hey this is Australia and everything is backwards and expensive.

By the way, I absolutely love it here!

Archived