The IELTS test and the point system

Katie Carter

My husband is the main applicant for a skilled 189 visa however, he is taking the IELTs test for extra bonus points but he is underconfident about how he will do. I wish to take the exam aswell in the hope that my points will also count towards the visa application.

Can anyone clarify for me the following, will my test results gain points (provided they are proficient or superior) for the visa or am I taking an unnecessary exam that won't be counted in the points test.

As you can see my quality of grammar is very rushed in this post haha! my apologies!:biglaugh:

Unnecessary for you to take it. There will be no points for your test result. The only way for you to add points is to pass a skills assessment in an occupation on the same occupation list as your husband's occupation.

You would be wasting your time. Only the main applicant's English results can be used for additional points on the points test.

IELTS is not the only acceptable English test and at least one of the additional tests that can now be used may be better for him. See the following threads for information from members who have had trouble with IELTS:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html#post1936733023

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/227823-any-one-done-pearsons-english-test-yet.html