Changes to Functional English Requirement???

CaptainC

I'm currently filling out the 189 visa application and have reached the question about Functional English for my wife.

According to the DIBP website it states that a person has functional English if:

• You are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.

However, when I click the blue ? button next to the question for the language ability of my wife, there is a list of requirements to prove English ability but the passport requirement (as per the immi website, above) is not there. Am I right to assume that the rules have changed and will therefore now have to prove her English ability in another way?

Where is your wife from? It depends on this. Any person from a country other than those noted have to prove their functional English.

my wife had to prove her functional English by scoring over 4.5 on the IELTS as she is a Japanese national. She scored 6.0 on the general test. Not that I am bragging but she hasn't actually studied for a long time just used it in day to day life. She did a weeks preparation with me. So if she can do it with this preparation then I believe most people can.

Your wife may need to jump through this hoop as well.

Where is your wife from? It depends on this. Any person from a country other than those noted have to prove their functional English.

my wife had to prove her functional English by scoring over 4.5 on the IELTS as she is a Japanese national. She scored 6.0 on the general test. Not that I am bragging but she hasn't actually studied for a long time just used it in day to day life. She did a weeks preparation with me. So if she can do it with this preparation then I believe most people can.

Your wife may need to jump through this hoop as well.

She's a New Zealander, so would fall into the passport holder category.

The bit I'm concerned about is that although she's a New Zealand citizen and passport holder, the bit about the passport holders not having to do anything else to prove their functional English is missing from the blue question mark next to the question on the application but it's still on the DIBP website. It's confusing because they are both official information sources but have different requirements.

It has changed, though I'm not exactly sure what's changed. I know for certain that "working in the UK" did fall of the list of accepted sources. (I guess someone from the DIBP tried to order a coffee at a London Costa)

The information I gathered on this subject is as follows (my wife also had to prove her functional English) :

How can I prove I have functional English?

To prove that you have functional English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

• an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result of an average band score of at least 4.5 based on the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing). Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing

• a positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English

• completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English

• completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English

• completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English

• completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English

• the functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

Since I got the above, other testing bodies have also been added, them being OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic and CAE

Given that your wife is from NZ, she can always just get her old high school to write a letter, stating that her tuition was all in English medium, which is what my wife did.

.....Given that your wife is from NZ, she can always just get her old high school to write a letter, stating that her tuition was all in English medium, which is what my wife did.

That's an excellent idea and I'm sure that she could get one fairly quickly. Thanks for that.

It has changed, though I'm not exactly sure what's changed. I know for certain that "working in the UK" did fall of the list of accepted sources. (I guess someone from the DIBP tried to order a coffee at a London Costa)

The information I gathered on this subject is as follows (my wife also had to prove her functional English) :

How can I prove I have functional English?

To prove that you have functional English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

• an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result of an average band score of at least 4.5 based on the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing). Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing

• a positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English

• completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English

• completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English

• completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English

• completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English

• the functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

Since I got the above, other testing bodies have also been added, them being OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic and CAE

Given that your wife is from NZ, she can always just get her old high school to write a letter, stating that her tuition was all in English medium, which is what my wife did.

Not wishing to doubt you but out of interest when did DIBP accept working in the UK as proof of English ability? :elvis:

Where did you find that list?The one I found for the 189 has this as the first point for functional English of a partner

http://www.immi.gov.au/faqs/Pages/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english.aspx

You are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.

Where did you find that list?The one I found for the 189 has this as the first point for functional English of a partner

http://www.immi.gov.au/faqs/Pages/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english.aspx

You are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.

It's the list on the actual visa application online form.

Thats weird, so the form actually contradicts the website!

Yeah, it's very confusing!!

I've submitted the application anyway, I took a screenshot of the website with today's date on it (in case they change it) so hopefully if there's any questions then I can say that I saw it on the website.

It hasn't changed to exclude passport holders of English speaking countries even if the application form on the website no longer gives that as an option. Upload a second copy of her passport (I know you already have to upload it to prove her identity) where you would otherwise provide proof of functional English (IELTS or whatever) and I'm positive it will be accepted as proof that you don't need to pay the second instalment.

The current info on proving functional English says:

[h=1]How can I prove I have functional English?[/h] To prove that you have functional English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

• You are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.
  • An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result of an average band score of at least 4.5 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, listening and writing. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
  • A Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) test result of a total band score of at least 32 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
  • A Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test result of an overall band score of at least 30 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
  • A Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test result of an overall band score of at least 147 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening and the test must have been taken on or after 1 January 2015. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.
  • A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English.
  • Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
  • The functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

It hasn't changed to exclude passport holders of English speaking countries even if the application form on the website no longer gives that as an option. Upload a second copy of her passport (I know you already have to upload it to prove her identity) where you would otherwise provide proof of functional English (IELTS or whatever) and I'm positive it will be accepted as proof that you don't need to pay the second instalment.

The current info on proving functional English says:

[h=1]How can I prove I have functional English?[/h] To prove that you have functional English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

• An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test result of an average band score of at least 4.5 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, listening and writing. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

• A Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) test result of a total band score of at least 32 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

• A Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test result of an overall band score of at least 30 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

• A Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test result of an overall band score of at least 147 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening and the test must have been taken on or after 1 January 2015. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

• A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English.

• Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

• Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

• Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.

• Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

• The functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing.

Excellent knowledge and advice, as ever. Thanks Ozmaniac.

Not wishing to doubt you but out of interest when did DIBP accept working in the UK as proof of English ability? :elvis:

No offense taken.

I was in the process of lodging my EOI, when my wife had to prove her proficiency as well. Being South African, her passport is not on the recognised passport holders' list.

She was able to get referees from her old work places, but when I sent it through to my MARA registered agent, he said that it is no longer accepted.

Archived