move to melbourne is it acheivable?

Jayk

hi all I have been offered a sponsorship opportunity nr albert park as a chef I will be earning $60k a year my dream is to move out there but I need to be sensible before committing I have a wife and 7 year old daughter who would join me after a period of 3 months we would like to live out of the city not to far from the beach say 30 minute my daughter would go to a state school and my other half would be able to work 20/30 hours a week the trade she's in she could earn a minimum of $20 per hour we are not extravagant people would love some advice if this is do able with cost of living etc. or am I been unrealistic

It will be tight for a family of 3 as on sponsorship you are exempt from receiving government help like Family Tax Benefit etc which would bring up your earnings a little. Can you not get a PR visa? takes a bit longer to get but would make life easier once here.

Cal x

Accomadation with in 30 minuets of the beach is going to be quite high. Melbourne is a very large place. My suggestion would be to look at http://www.whereis.com/directions enter the suburb you will work in and then a near by suburb and press enter it gives you time and distance, you can pick any sets of suburbs so beach to a suburb. Once you have a list of a few suburbs then key those in to http://www.realestate.com.au/rent you can choose buy or rent and then all your criteria like how many bedrooms you want. This will give you a good idea of accomadation cost in different suburbs. Have a look around Mornington its close to the beach and some nice schools. If you find a few suburbs you like then come back here and ask for opinions of those suburbs.

It will be tough on $60k. I would look at Frankston and Carrum Downs where you can still rent a 3 bedroom house for $350pw. Mornington is nice but more expensive and would add another 20-30 mins on your commute if driving and doesn't have a rail link to Melbourne. Frankston has trains to Melbourne. There are nice beaches everywhere but Melbourne's average high summer temperature is only 2 degrees warmer than London so we only get 3 months a year of beach weather.

Hi all thankyou for the advice I will look at those areas potential earnings would be around $90k plus when we are both working I'll be out on my own for 3 months baths so will rent a room to try keep costs to a minimum it's not just the weather I'm coming for I love nothing more than a walk along the beach when it's freezing and n the UK just love been near the sea

It will be tight in that salary but ok, as long as your wife starts working later. I have been told that is a good salary for a chef. Someone with about 10 years experience and a CV working with top restaurants does earn that.

You don't need to go that far out, if you look at a bit dated properties and units you can rent in places like South Yarra (2 bed) for about $400 a week, St Kilda, Balaclava, Elwood, Elsternwick, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne and even around Albert Park.

By the way Albert Park is a very nice suburb.

Best thing to do is compare it to your current lifestyle and income level. If you are earning say GBP25-30k in the south east of England at the moment then you would probably feel much the same as $60k in Melbourne.

Guest Guest98336

Happy to send you my cost of living calculations - been in Sydney for 8 months and it's pricier than I'd planned for. And I'd done my homework...

Probably cheaper for you to live on the northern or western side of Melbourne. Have a look at public transport site and follow the train lines and tram lines, looking at suburbs and places close to these. That way you will not have to drive to work. Point Cook, Tarneit etc are popular with Brits these days due to the nice housing and cost.

Archived