Living in St. Marys

Sammy77

Never heard of it but just looked it up, looks like a small suburb. It is out west which is generally not a great direction to go, but as I say that is a generalisation. Any reason you have honed in on one suburb, it normally makes sense to consider an area, a group of suburbs, rather than just one. E.g we decided to look at the northern beaches and the north shore - dozens of suburbs covered.

Its a long way from the city - basically very hot in summer, colder in winter. Next to Penrith. Bad reputation. Not somewhere I would want to live - I'd move to Wollongong or Newcastle before living out there. However, its close to the Blue Mountains!

It's near me, and I stayed in the next suburb for a few weeks when we emigrated. It's what I'd call rough, not where I'd chose to raise a family or look for a better life etc. It depends on what you're used to, but if you're looking to emigrate halfway round the world for a better life, St. Marys' is one of the less desirable suburbs near here, and by less desirable, i mean moss side. Is the location due to work? What they refer to as 'westies' means the areas around parramatta mainly, not the penrith area, which has it's faults but is nothing like the fairfields and blacktowns etc.

If you're moving to this area due to work, let me know as i've been here a year now and have a fair idea of good/bad/indifferent areas in the local area.

Hi thanks for replying ☺️ my oh is work around the M4 motorway and the company recommended living in the western areas from penrith to Camden. Due to the size of our family would like at least a 4 bed house and we are initially on a tight budget till I get a job but that won't be till the boys are settled in school and I've figured out the best childcare for my youngest.

Thanks Lisa x

I'd advise south Penrith, Glenmore park, St Claire etc. You should be able to get a 4 bed rental for around AU$500 a week. reasonable areas to start out in. all good access to M4 and family areas. depending on where in the M4 you're OH is working (it's a pain at rush hour as are all motorways) determines where you'd want to live as an hour gridlock every morning and evening isn't that much fun! The local childcare areas around there are ok too as are schools unless you plan on sending private in which case i wouldn't know! Penrith has most amenities of a UK town and is easy enough to reach.

Hi thanks for replying ☺️ my oh is work around the M4 motorway and the company recommended living in the western areas from penrith to Camden. Due to the size of our family would like at least a 4 bed house and we are initially on a tight budget till I get a job but that won't be till the boys are settled in school and I've figured out the best childcare for my youngest.

Thanks Lisa x

Wherabouts on the M4 motorway? What are you hoping to achieve from the move? Is it a great career move or are you seeking a particular lifestyle? Is the salary excellent, because even living in a dodgy area of Sydney a four bedroom house is likely to cost significantly more (probably a multiple) than a house in many parts of Manchester. It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of a move, but just want to caution that you weigh it all up, because those parts of Sydney are quite dreary, nothing like that Aussie beach lifestyle that you see on the TV. If your budget allows, I would probably recommend you look at the suburbs further to the east as well.

Thanks again everyone, the company recommended the west side of the M4 as that is where they are building a lot of the properties. We have talked about moving to australia for a number of years now and have always said whilst we would love to live by the beach and have the beach lifestyle, at present having a larger bedroomed house outweighs that and as long as we are 1-1.5 hours from the beach we are happy (as that how far away to some beaches we are now).

I appreciate all your recommendations and will look at these now :)

Thanks Lisa

Again and again! My phone! I like Penrith. Excellent train service to the city (where I live) 48 mins on the Blue Mrs service and three stops. It is 55 km from city. The Western line trains are slower because they stop more. 60 or 70mins. The drive from the city is VILE so I tried to avoid it. Penrith has all the amenities you need. I won't slag off any of the other 'burbs because plenty of the people I work with live in them!

Camden is very nice tho no train service and the drive to work could be a bind tho it is across the Western Subs rather than into the city. I really liked Camden when I went there. Proper little country town surrounded by countryside.

Some of those other burbs do have bad reputations, but usually in certain areas.St Mary's has excellent shopping centre, same Mt Druitt. You have to look at the places yourself. I had a friend who lived at Oakhurst I think it's called near Rooty Hill. (Don't laugh at the name!)

Haha there are some great sounding places ☺️

HI Sammy

Glenmore park is nice area for the family and very closes to M4. If you have to chose between St Marys and Penrith then I will for Penrith. These suburbs are getting better day by day as lot of migrants are moving but you can't stop the generalisation. Just remember there is no train line in Glenmore park but good schools etc.

Haha there are some great sounding places ☺️

Hi Sammy - we looked at Glenmore Park before we moved to Glenwood it looks like a lovely suburb when we looked at it and Penrith has some pretty good shopping and links to the city. The closeness to the Blue Mountains is a def plus!

Archived