Scary news for teachers - any more info?

chatterbox

Hi,

I've just seen this piece of news. I'm so sorry for 200 teachers and education staff affected, my heart goes out to them all. Does anyone have anymore info on this? It's a scary prospect as a secondary maths teacher who is currently planning the move across from the UK. How would you rate the mid/long term prospects for finding a teaching post? We're concerned that we couldn't cope financially without me earning, so need to consider the impact of this news carefully before going any further forward.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/teacher-redundancy-over-200-wa-education-staff-face-job-decision/story-fnhocxo3-1227327361010

Thanks.

I think if you are Mathematics you will be fine as they are always in demand If you teach Maths C for senior you can pretty much name your terms in Qld and I am sure it is not that different in other states.

Millie

I think if you are Mathematics you will be fine as they are always in demand If you teach Maths C for senior you can pretty much name your terms in Qld and I am sure it is not that different in other states.

Millie

Thanks, Millie. That's reassuring to know. Have a great weekend.

Hi,

I've just seen this piece of news. I'm so sorry for 200 teachers and education staff affected, my heart goes out to them all. Does anyone have anymore info on this? It's a scary prospect as a secondary maths teacher who is currently planning the move across from the UK. How would you rate the mid/long term prospects for finding a teaching post? We're concerned that we couldn't cope financially without me earning, so need to consider the impact of this news carefully before going any further forward.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/teacher-redundancy-over-200-wa-education-staff-face-job-decision/story-fnhocxo3-1227327361010

Thanks.

Employment prospects for most teachers in Austrlaia have been pretty gloomy for years and years. I am amazed it is still on the list to be honest. Fortunately there is demand for maths and science however, so you should fare much better than most.

I too am amazed that we still have teachers on the list as there are many graduate teachers here that cannot find work. In Victoria to become a permanent teacher with the education department they need to do the hard yards in remote schools for a few years. My son is science and maths and as soon as he graduated he headed out into the bush to work to earn his permanency. Most jobs in the public sector in Melbourne are contract jobs and when they advertise them there is usually a teacher already on contract who will remain on another contract and therefore the job does not really exist. We did have a shortage of teachers a while ago but the upped the places at university and its a popular course. Same with nurses. They have upped the numbers being trained.

Private sector teaching is often the place to look as the individual schools do their own recruitment.

I too am amazed that we still have teachers on the list as there are many graduate teachers here that cannot find work. In Victoria to become a permanent teacher with the education department they need to do the hard yards in remote schools for a few years. My son is science and maths and as soon as he graduated he headed out into the bush to work to earn his permanency. Most jobs in the public sector in Melbourne are contract jobs and when they advertise them there is usually a teacher already on contract who will remain on another contract and therefore the job does not really exist. We did have a shortage of teachers a while ago but the upped the places at university and its a popular course. Same with nurses. They have upped the numbers being trained.

Private sector teaching is often the place to look as the individual schools do their own recruitment.

It used to work like that in WA, do a couple of years remote and then be guaranteed permanency in a metro school. This no longer exists, this is simply because nearly all schools in WA are now independent (merit select), meaning they advertise and select their own staff. Central staffing is virtually a thing of the past. This unfortunately means many teachers are stuck in remote areas.

However, the excellent part of merit select schools is that certain teachers who did the rounds, being passed from school to school (nobody wanted them due to poor teaching standards) by central staffing have had to up their game or retire.

The downside is that many excellent teachers are in a very difficult situation as the jobs simply are not there.

The need areas in WA are Maths,Design and Technology and Science. Job prospects are very good for anybody trained in these specialties.

Archived