Hayman Reese Towbars

cromergirl

I have a cycle carrier that fits a hayman reese hitch towbar. Looking at towbars in the UK, this sort of towbar does not seem that common.

I just wondered will I be able to get a hayman reese towbar fitted to a vehicle in the UK and what sort of cost will it be.

Or would it be better to sell the bike carrier here and then get a new one that fits a more standard UK type towbar.

Hope that makes sense.

• 2 months later...
It's very doubtful you would get a Hayman Reece tow bar over here, I would sell the bike carrier and buy another one over here.

Similar type question- mine fits on a tow ball, but it looks like a UK tow ball is different to an Australian one- anyone know if a Thule fits Aussie and UK tow balls?

I would assume not.

Most tow bars/balls come as a one piece double bolt onto chassis option, or a knob poking out from underneath.......

Neither look like they would have a place to fit a bike rack mounting between tongue and ball as happens over here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a Thule Xpress 970, that clamps onto the tow ball - does anyone know if this will fit an aussie towbar?

My towball has about an inch of shaft between ball and tongue, im guessing that if the clamp part drops less than this it will fit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks - the thule aussie site seems to have the same model, so i'll assume its all good!

Do you need a lightbar like you do in the uk?

Legally, i guess you would,

But ive never seen one...........

However you will neeed a bike rack number plate (same rego as car) $35 from vicroads, or make one up yourself from a bit of paint and cardboard.

http://carsaust.com/bike-rack-laws-in-australia/

I've got a Thule double bike carrier, tow ball mounted. It tilts to let you open the boot lid. It fits a standard 50mm tow ball. The inbuilt lights are wired to the standard UK round plug. I use a round-to-flat converter to connect to the standard flat connector on the car.

In Victoria, all you legally need for lighting a bike rack during hours of darkness, on any type of bike carrier is one single red light. Homemade plates in VIC aren't legal, but lots of drivers make their own regardless anyway. Doesn't seem to be a huge issue.

Archived