Toowoomba Continues To Grow and offer employment

Tina2

No longer the sleepy City. The flow on from the Wagners decision to build Well Camp Airport is already starting to be seen. As an alternative to Brisbane and the Gold Coast it may be worth considering even just in the short term . http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/plans-80m-meat-processing-plant-wellcamp/2614715/?utm_campaign=alert&utm_source=Toowoomba+Chronicle&utm_medium=email

Just a thought but the meat works that I am aware off here in WA, tend to employ from offshore on 457's from The Philippines and China. They do also employ refugee labour Burmese and Afghani being popular, but outside of giving those deserving people work, not sure of the wider benefits with regards jobs. Especially recruiting abroad.

Just a thought but the meat works that I am aware off here in WA, tend to employ from offshore on 457's from The Philippines and China. They do also employ refugee labour Burmese and Afghani being popular, but outside of giving those deserving people work, not sure of the wider benefits with regards jobs. Especially recruiting abroad.

The Wagners who are behind this push for growth are very much in favour of giving locals and australians jobs. There are plans in place for accomadation blocks on the area close to the new air port for 500 fly in fly out persons hoping to attract more aussies to the area. A high cost for producers in the Toowoomba and Lockyer Valley area is getting produce to Brisbane airport, now they will be able to fly goods out from Toowoomba. Any increase in employment no matter how small has to be a good thing

The Wagners who are behind this push for growth are very much in favour of giving locals and australians jobs. There are plans in place for accomadation blocks on the area close to the new air port for 500 fly in fly out persons hoping to attract more aussies to the area. A high cost for producers in the Toowoomba and Lockyer Valley area is getting produce to Brisbane airport, now they will be able to fly goods out from Toowoomba. Any increase in employment no matter how small has to be a good thing

Yes if they follow through with the detail. All they need to say is the necessary labour not available and bring in 457's. Lets hope it is something to attract those already in Australia, regardless of if they are Aussie or not.

We have only been back in Qld since Christmas and the expansion that is happening is really suprising. Areas like Harlexton, and Newtown once the dumpy area of Toowoomba is seeing a lot of renovation work happening on houses as these areas that are only 10 minuets from the center of Toowoomba. I know the council is now looking are some form of "art" to start transforming the city center streets. Lovely thing is they are not pulling down the historic old buildings instead giving them a clean up. We are starting to see up market coffee shops starting to open. You can laugh but we have lived in many areas in 3 different states and one thing that we found really interesting was if Bunnings decided to open a new store then "something" was about to happen in the way of growth in that area. Bunnings have now confirmed the purchase of the old steel mill on the North side of Toowoomba for there second store to service the city and the north side. (Harlexton and Newtown are North side) We are 25 minuets out of toowoomba but the area is just beautiful and the weather not as wet or cold as Toowoomba its self. Today it is 18C, blue sky and sun shine. We have some of the best doctors out at Highfields that I have come across for some time and the Catholic school which is relatively new is getting great results. There is also a new state high that is rapidly gaining high results.

Just keeping fingers cross that it continues on the same track, modern facilities but old fashioned values.

City of Flowers from memory. Don't they pride themselves in that title? Shades of Harrogate Yorks, there perhaps?

Been to 'em both and for my money, Toowoomba wins hands down. Have a squiz at Ruthven St in jacaranda time; beaut pong, beaut colour.thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

With your eyes closed along with a vivid or warped imagination then maybe, just maybe, comparable to the flower filled water troughs as you enter Harrogate:wink:

Yes I didn't mean literally. There is a flower theme I believe though. Along with a Bloom Festival if I'm not mistaken. Not speaking from experience though just what I heard and read about it in the past.

We have only been back in Qld since Christmas and the expansion that is happening is really suprising. Areas like Harlexton, and Newtown once the dumpy area of Toowoomba is seeing a lot of renovation work happening on houses as these areas that are only 10 minuets from the center of Toowoomba. I know the council is now looking are some form of "art" to start transforming the city center streets. Lovely thing is they are not pulling down the historic old buildings instead giving them a clean up. We are starting to see up market coffee shops starting to open. You can laugh but we have lived in many areas in 3 different states and one thing that we found really interesting was if Bunnings decided to open a new store then "something" was about to happen in the way of growth in that area. Bunnings have now confirmed the purchase of the old steel mill on the North side of Toowoomba for there second store to service the city and the north side. (Harlexton and Newtown are North side) We are 25 minuets out of toowoomba but the area is just beautiful and the weather not as wet or cold as Toowoomba its self. Today it is 18C, blue sky and sun shine. We have some of the best doctors out at Highfields that I have come across for some time and the Catholic school which is relatively new is getting great results. There is also a new state high that is rapidly gaining high results.

Just keeping fingers cross that it continues on the same track, modern facilities but old fashioned values.

Love that view just above Harlaxton to Brizzie...about 120 km straight line. Abso bloomin' lutely marvellous.

Cheers, Bobj.

Interesting to read comments from the less known cities. Lets hope the progress continues and remains in a positive way. I read up on Toowoomba about five years ago as a possible alternative but the comments from some locals and ex locals put me off any further investigation.

Interesting to read comments from the less known cities. Lets hope the progress continues and remains in a positive way. I read up on Toowoomba about five years ago as a possible alternative but the comments from some locals and ex locals put me off any further investigation.

Agree, most threads refer to the capital cities yet there is so much more to Aus. Starting to see Townsville being mentioned and so it should. If you like the heat it is a great city, close to the islands and beautiful beaches. Mackay is another beautiful place we hardly hear mentioned. In Victoria the snowy mountains are stunning but as the name implies it does snow there and I guess most poms coming here have had enough of the cold and snow.

Agree, most threads refer to the capital cities yet there is so much more to Aus. Starting to see Townsville being mentioned and so it should. If you like the heat it is a great city, close to the islands and beautiful beaches. Mackay is another beautiful place we hardly hear mentioned. In Victoria the snowy mountains are stunning but as the name implies it does snow there and I guess most poms coming here have had enough of the cold and snow.

Too right, Tina2. There are several small cities and towns in this magnificent land where people can be very happy.

Last time I lived in a city was in Sydney 20 odd years ago when I was seconded to help out in the laboratory. And that was only for 2 months. Brizzie for 8 months in 1982 and beautiful Perth in 1966, East Vic Park.

The rest of the time has been in small...nay, tiny towns.

Cheers, Bobj.

Must admit Townsville didn't like much on first sight back in the 90's. Found the mall rather drab and the vibe not the greatest. Since improved my perception of the place and especially surrounds.

Never been to Mackay. I wasn't really aware a visit was warranted so will hopefully rectify that at some stage.

I would say most Poms are influenced by work as to where they settle. What is interesting in Australia is that house prices are hardly cheap in any half decent town either. Hence hardly cheap to move without a guarantee of income of some sort.

I went to Toowoomba once, and it was closed (except the Irish Pub!) second time we went was with some Kiwi relatives tracing their family tree, so went looking around all the grave yards, saw a bit more life on that visit!

The above is a true observation on our visits, though not during (but almost) the flower festival, it is something we plan to do next spring, so will see how our view changes.

I went to Toowoomba once, and it was closed (except the Irish Pub!) second time we went was with some Kiwi relatives tracing their family tree, so went looking around all the grave yards, saw a bit more life on that visit!

The above is a true observation on our visits, though not during (but almost) the flower festival, it is something we plan to do next spring, so will see how our view changes.

You are correct, Toowoomba was always a sleepy town with not much happening. I dont know if it is the confirmation that the by pass will happen or what but it has suddenly woken up. Hope you have booked accomadation for the carnival of flowers, (Grammar Motel in Margaret Street is nice) gets booked out real quick now. The new railway precinct should be close to being finished as well as the new Central Shopping Center expansion. Oh there is a great coffee shop in margaret Street now the Park Cafe. There are 2 only a few door from each other the Park is by far the best and is the one closest to the Motel so standing in the park and looking across the road the one on the left. Will be very interested to hear your report on Toowoomba in regards to wether you think it has changed.

Too right, Tina2. There are several small cities and towns in this magnificent land where people can be very happy.

Last time I lived in a city was in Sydney 20 odd years ago when I was seconded to help out in the laboratory. And that was only for 2 months. Brizzie for 8 months in 1982 and beautiful Perth in 1966, East Vic Park.

The rest of the time has been in small...nay, tiny towns.

Cheers, Bobj.

Us to :) Bendigo, Ballarat, Woodend ( only left because of the bush fires), Mudgee (Oh LOVED Mudgee) Elizabeth, Narracourt, So many beautiful places. The house we have now is 15 years old bought it for a quarter of what it would cost in a capital city, will spend a bit doing it up as we love to renovate. Still places where people look out for each other. As I said only been back since Christmas yet we often chat to the people next door and across the street. People just seem to have the time to want to put in the effort to get to know and help each other.

Us to :) Bendigo, Ballarat, Woodend ( only left because of the bush fires), Mudgee (Oh LOVED Mudgee) Elizabeth, Narracourt, So many beautiful places. The house we have now is 15 years old bought it for a quarter of what it would cost in a capital city, will spend a bit doing it up as we love to renovate. Still places where people look out for each other. As I said only been back since Christmas yet we often chat to the people next door and across the street. People just seem to have the time to want to put in the effort to get to know and help each other.

What a beaut town and district that is! Although Australia's European history is very short, Mudgee has a lot of it...

http://www.mudgeehistory.com.au/poems/frank_the_poet_in_mudgeee_p4.html

Good one, @Tina2

Cheers, Bobj.

What a beaut town and district that is! Although Australia's European history is very short, Mudgee has a lot of it...

http://www.mudgeehistory.com.au/poems/frank_the_poet_in_mudgeee_p4.html

Good one, @Tina2

Cheers, Bobj.

We would still be there if it were not for the council. We had a small farm / tourist industry. Was doing really well very supported by the motels and wineries, but council just "didnt get it" they only wanted wineries. Could not see that other industries would bring in more people to the wineries. In the 3 years we were there a goat cheese farm shut and a stunning glass blowing tourist attraction shut, and others were in the verge. Wineries could have signs on the edge of the road and all over town if they wanted to but other industries could only have signs inside there properties. Then we got told we had to put in a disabled toilet again which few wineries had would have cost over $15,000 due to being on septic so that was the end we shut down and left. Very very sad as I said loved the place, even if we had to go to Dubbo or Orange for major shopping. Very very expencive now though wit the mine expansion.

Archived