how long is it permissible to stay outside designated regional area on 489 visa

sultanasumiya506

Hi Everyone,

Am a 489 visa holder with South Australian state sponsorship and have reached sydney yesterday. How long can i stay back in Sydney with my family?

Can I search a job from Sydney and then move to South Australia?

As am sponsored by South Australia will I have to move only to this region or can I even move to some other regional place.

Thanks

Sumiya

Hi Everyone,

Am a 489 visa holder with South Australian state sponsorship and have reached sydney yesterday. How long can i stay back in Sydney with my family?

As am sponsored by South Australia will I have to move only to this region or can I even move to some other regional place.

Thanks

Sumiya

Why did you migrate to Sydney if you are sponsored by South Australia?!

There are two parts to the answer to your question.

Your 489 conditions allow you and your family to live, work and study only in a Regional or low population-growth metropolitan area but you would be able to stay in Sydney for a time while you look for work in South Australia and then move to SA when you have found something. You'll find however that you will have a much better chance of finding work in SA if you are there on the ground while job hunting. You cannot work in Sydney or any other non-Regional or low population-growth metropolitan area under any circumstances. You have a moral obligation to live and work in SA. There is currently no visa condition limiting you to SA but the DIBP website now states 'and comply with any residential conditions specified by the State or Territory government in your nomination' and it's possible that you may have problems with a further visa application if you don't comply with them.

When it comes to applying for a permanent visa, you MUST have lived in a Regional or low population-growth metropolitan area for at least 2 years and you MUST have worked full time (or more than one part-time job equating to full time) for at least one year. If you don't meet that condition, you will not be able to apply for a permanent visa and will have to leave Australia when your 489 expires.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Sumiya

You can holiday and visit people in the metropolitan area, but you cannot live there.

also trying to find a job in SAN whilst you are in Sydney is only going to make your job hunt harder. You should just get over there.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Sumiya

You will have condition 8539 on your visa. Policy states that it is reasonable to expect that you make arrangements to establish living arrangements in a specified regional area within a month of arrival in Australia.

Archived