Sold my UK property - do I still need to complete a UK tax return?

Bridgeman

OH inherited a property from her father which she rented out and therefore had to complete a UK tax return each year. She sold the property in October 2013 and declared the sale on her 2013-14 tax return (although no CGT due as she actually made a loss on the sale).

My question is does she still need to complete a UK tax return as she no longer has any rental income from the property. She does have a state pension and a small private pension, plus some interest from savings (which is already taxed). The interest rates on the savings in the UK have gone down the tubes as everyone knows and so her total income is actually below the tax threshold of ten thousand.

She wrote to HMRC but has had no response, but received a tax form in the post - this happens every year and I suspect it is just automatically sent as it doesn't really contain all the forms needed anyway.

Or is there maybe some sort of declaration form she can complete similar to the Oz one so that she no longer has to complete the UK self assessment? It seems a bit daft to have to spend time filling in the forms which can be quite complicated if no tax is due and any tax due would be paid here in Oz. She doesn't want to do nothing and end up getting a fine!

OH inherited a property from her father which she rented out and therefore had to complete a UK tax return each year. She sold the property in October 2013 and declared the sale on her 2013-14 tax return (although no CGT due as she actually made a loss on the sale).

My question is does she still need to complete a UK tax return as she no longer has any rental income from the property. She does have a state pension and a small private pension, plus some interest from savings (which is already taxed). The interest rates on the savings in the UK have gone down the tubes as everyone knows and so her total income is actually below the tax threshold of ten thousand.

She wrote to HMRC but has had no response, but received a tax form in the post - this happens every year and I suspect it is just automatically sent as it doesn't really contain all the forms needed anyway.

Or is there maybe some sort of declaration form she can complete similar to the Oz one so that she no longer has to complete the UK self assessment? It seems a bit daft to have to spend time filling in the forms which can be quite complicated if no tax is due and any tax due would be paid here in Oz. She doesn't want to do nothing and end up getting a fine!

If she is sent a tax form to fill in she MUST fill it in, or she will be fined whether or not there is any tax owing. Status in Australia is irrelevant.

Chances are that HMRC will see that she is below limits this year and will write to her afterwards and say we no longer need it (for future years). Until such time, she needs to complete.

Yes we are PR. What a pain! They do seem rather inflexible at HMRC. I find the Oz tax authorities much more pleasant and straightforward to deal with.

It shouldn't take more than five minutes to fill in in view of her having little to no income. Certainly a lot quicker than having to argue yo way out of it if there were that option! And next year, I am sure it won't be required..

Haven't found much difference in dealing with the two tax authorities myself. Although possibly HMRC less efficient.

• 2 weeks later...