30 Days to Go... Sydney, Here I come

dangargoyle

My family visa was Granted in February, 2015 after around 18 months. I am finally moving in May, 2015 with my wife and 2 kids - Son and Daughter, both below 5 years. We are making a final and permanent move to Sydney and are hoping to return for a visit in around 5 years when we hopefully get our Oz Citizenship in place. I have exactly 30 days before we make the big plunge. Tickets are all booked, we have our immigration agent confirmed to receive us on the other side and basically hoping for a smooth transition. Within this 30 days, a lot of big changes have to be embraced. After being in stable employment for around 10 years, I will have to quit a decent though not very well paying job, say goodbye to all remaining family and friends and begin a new life in a totally different environment. I will have to transform myself and adapt to a totally different system and culture, but which I love dearly. I must admit that it's quite a scary experience. The long wait for our visas were just a tip of the iceberg compared to what i'm going through right now. I know I will have to endure a few weeks, maybe months while still jobless as I look for employment in Sydney, I will have to meet and make new friends, find decent schools for my kids and quite literally transform myself into a new person. Being the practical optimist that I am, I am quite excited on the move and am hoping for a better life. The most excited is my 3 year old daughter who has already told all her friends and teachers that we'll be moving to Australia once school closes in April. Again, I am sincerely quite excited on the move and am hoping for a better life on the other side. This compounded by the fact that i'm moving from a third world country to a First world country, and the fact that I know a few people before me that have made the big move and seen great improvements in their lives gives me greater hope and courage that I am doing the right thing. My guiding principle in all this is as follows; Follow your heart - and right now, my heart says ---- Go for it, Because at the end of the day, its the small things in life that matter most.... That 'peace of mind' that I currently lack, that comforting drive back home after a hard day's work, those friendly neighbors, that afternoon walk on the beach with my folks, that 'system' that works and all those things in life that I long for and do not currently have in my present home. Sydney, Here I come

Archived