Living on Central Coast and Working in Sydney CBD

faiza

Hi,

I'm new to PIO so would appreciate some guidance. I've been given the opportunity of a new role in Sydney (near Wynyard) but only on a local contract so I have to sort the house out etc for the family out of our own resources although the company have said they will help with some relo costs which is helpful. I've been to Sydney quite a few times on business, but never considered living there because of what I see as the expensive cost of housing - I live on the outskirts of Manchester.....

When I've been on Real Estate and Domain the only areas that I can see we can get something within our $750K budget that we would consider moving for would be around Gosford/Central Coast (we need a 4 bed house), but the commute in from there seems quite daunting at over 1hr 20mins. When we've been there before we've looked at areas North and South, but within a reasonable commuting time, but when the reality strikes home about what you can get for your money you in those areas you immediately discount them!

I've told my company that I like the idea of moving and the opportunity, so they are paying for me to come over to combine some business with some suburb searching, but I don't want to make the move or provide a commitment to move if it provides too costly and we don't gain too much apart from working in a different country.

We already have visas from a move we had planned 3 years ago, but decided to decline at that time, but now with our visas running out we want to make the move if there is somewhere we can live that provides a nice environment for us to bring up our family of 2 girls 7 & 9.

I really would appreciate some views on whether the Central Coast areas would provide too far a commute or if the benefit of living there outweighs the long commute each day.

I'd also appreciate views on whether other areas would be worth considering.

Thanks so much and I look forward to any help.

Faiza

We thought about it, but had to rule it out on grounds of too far and too long a commute. Now personally we would have been fine with one hour twenty minutes, but I really do not think that is realistic, not when you factor in the time to staton, waiting for train and journey the other end. Door to door, I think two hours each way is more realistic, which is getting a bit much for most people. You also have to consider that Sydney is not like London and set up for the mass commuting from all directions, generally people live much closer in and there is good reason for that.

But your budget is indeed very tight for a four bedroom house in many parts of Sydney tha are more commutable. The only place I could suggest you take a look at for housing is the Sutehrlandshire area in the south. This is still a bit of a trip out but not like Central Coast. After that, well can you stretch the budget?

Some areas north of the George river may also be affordable (isn) and that's a bit closer to the CBD on the same train line - Peakhurst, Oatley, Mortdale, Blakehurst etc area.

Not made the move or final decision ourselves yet, and will be renting, so don't have all the answers. But worth a look

My family and I moved to Turramurra in January, which is a door-to-door commute to my work in the CBD of 1 hour. We pay $1050 a week (£525) and house prices are around 1-1.5 million minimum! We are in the same boat as you and need a 4 bedroom house (couple with three kids). Australia is generally as expensive as the UK (I'm from West Yorkshire, my wife is from Liverpool), except for the housing.

As suggested above, I have been advised by a number of people that South of Sydney is far cheaper and just as attractive. We would move but we don't want to move our kids again so soon so we are pretty much tied in. The West of Sydney is cheaper but is not as attractive and also hotter / more humid, which being from the North of England has been a problem to say the least! Hope this helps.

One area that is allegedly pretty cheap and may be worth looking into is the North West of Sydney. Currently there is no train line and you can only commute in by slow bus or car; however, the North West Rail Link is being built which should make this area much more accessible in the future. I've heard good and bad things about this area but having never been myself I would do your own research.

• 1 month later...
but the commute in from there seems quite daunting at over 1hr 20mins.

Well 1 hour and 20 minutes is pretty standard for a lot of commuting Sydneysiders. I know a LOT of people who live on the Central Coast and commute into the CBD daily. Chatting to them they all think it is fine.

Personally I think driving would pretty much be out of the question; although I do know some people who do it.

The train service is good, Especially the fast coaster trains that skip smaller stations and only stop at the major ones.

I think the benefits of cheaper living and a laid back lifestyle on the coast (especially at weekends), outweighs the commute each day.

Living in Sydney there will be always pros and cons for commuting.

Otherwise I suggest looking at the suburbs of Mount Kuring-gai or Hornsby Heights - both nice for a family and maybe still in your price range.

I texted a friend of mine last night to ask her what her commute is like from near Woy Woy. (I can't quite think of her suburb's name - Phenegan's Bay perhaps?) She drives to Woy Woy station, and then takes the train. Actually, I will just type her text out in full, and mine, come to think of it, as I was asking her for information for another PIO thread on similar subject.

Me: "How long does train or car take you to and from work in the rush hour? Which is worse experience? (Discussing commuting on a Pommie forum.)

My friend: Driving too stressful. If an accident happens on freeway, you are held up forever. Trains are always late. It's 1 hr 40 min trip, 2 hours door-to-door, 4 hours a day."

I drove to my brother's place at Mt Annan near Campbelltown (where house prices are probably similar to Central Coast??) on Friday evening during the peak hour. I left about 6.30pm and arrived at 7.45pm, 60 km, mostly on freeway, with only one hold up in the 'Main Tunnel.' I did the return trip to Surry Hills (which is practically in the City) in 45 minutes later that evening.

in Sydney (near Wynyard)

To give you some guidance:

The 7.02am train from Woy Woy (Central Coast), arrives at Wynyard station at 8.14am.

That is on the fast coaster train via the North Shore line. So 1 hour and 12 minutes is a pretty good commute. There are toilets on the train and most commuters sleep, read, catch up with weekly shows on their ipads, or do work related emails.

The trains are pretty good from the coast. They are rarely late. My sister has been getting on a coaster train at Hornsby every day for about 15 years now, and is rarely late for work.

There is a faster train from Newcastle to Central (picking up at Woy Woy) via Epping and Strathfield on the Northern Line - but I don't have those times on my mobile app.

There is only one line down from Newcastle and the Central Coast. It splits into two lines at Hornsby. One veers off to the left and goes to the city via Gordon and the other veers off right and goes to the city via Strathfield.

It is pretty good because you have the option of two routes leading to the same destination. Example: if one line has delays, you can just change trains at Hornsby and go the other route.

If I lived on the Central Coast and worked in Hornsby, then I would be more than happy to drive everyday – as in good flowing traffic takes around 45 minutes to drive.

But I would NOT be driving into the CBD from the Central Coast – it would be horrific.

You could even drive to Hornsby and then get the train to the CBD; as many people do.

There are a number of options available – so don’t panic or limit yourself.

Until recently my commute to work by car was only 8 minutes (fantastic)…… but now my commute is 90 minutes. My longest commute ever was 2 hours.

Have a look at North Gosford or Kariong on the Central Coast. You can still pick up a large family modern home (with built-in wardrobes, ensuite bathrooms, a garden, inground swimming pool, spa, garage, workshop, etc…) for way less than $750K. It is a great lifestyle up there, cheaper than Sydney and you are never far from a beach or National Park in summer.

However, I suggest doing what I did when I first arrived - I booked into long stay accommodation for three months - and each weekend took the train or drove round the suburbs exploring and finding the "perfect" place to live in regards to where working etc...

Someone suggested Tamarama near Bondi to me and I liked the beach. But the house prices were beyond me, the crowds annoying and the traffic into the city was hideous beyond a nightmare. I eventually ended up in Galston (which I found by accident one weekend on a exploring trip) and it was affordable (then!), peaceful, rural and uncrowded.

It is all very well us giving you advice; but you really need to actually experience an area for yourself.

Assuming an average commute of 1.5 hours each way on the train that means you spend 28 days a year Sat on a train going to or from work. Not sure how people can handle that. I commuted similarly into London for a while and it's a massive drain

aahhh welcome to the dilemma so many of us Sydney siders face. Many of my friends have considered moving up there, as they look to move from renting to buying anf buying is just out of the question in the desirable suburbs of Sydney.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. It's just too far and as others have said, door to door the commute would be pretty long. Also no matter what the view of Aussies going home early for a Bar B on the beach is..the reality (in my experience of all my friends working in the city) is that people generally work long hours in Sydney so you might end up feeling like you never see your family. Fantastic beaches up there though!

Also a GREAT opportunity to move now and one that might not come up again...can you come and rent for a while and see if it's doable?

Or negotiate with your company to give you a pay rise when you move? Haha might sound ridiculous but when I moved out here 12 years ago my company dropped my pay on the basis that at that time the living costs in the area I was moving from in the UK were way higher than the living costs in the area. Yes, I was probably stupid to let that happen but my point is that if you have really good negotiation skills (unlike me!) you may be able to persuade them to up your pay if you are to be able to make it work...

The 7.02am train from Woy Woy (Central Coast), arrives at Wynyard station at 8.14am.

That is on the fast coaster train via the North Shore line. So 1 hour and 12 minutes is a pretty good commute. .

Well unless they live in one train station and work in the other, this isn't the commute is it? My train journey now (in UK) is 35 to 45 minutes on paper, but I have never got to work in less than 90 minutes. I therefore tend to describe my commute as 90 minutes not 35! The non-train minutes part of the journey add up. You have to get to the station, park up, leave yourself a good five minutes before the train, allow for stopping at signals, get of train other end, make way to exit, walk to office. Realistically this is a journey that is going to regularly take two hours each way and it would be good advice for anyone to think about if that is what they want to do. Some might and clearly do.

Personallly I never met anyone that commuted from Centrwl Coast in Sydney, not in five years of working for a large organisation. I think most would be horrified at the very idea.

That is on the fast coaster train via the North Shore line. So 1 hour and 12 minutes is a pretty good commute. There are toilets on the train and most commuters sleep, read, catch up with weekly shows on their ipads, or do work related emails.

The trains are pretty good from the coast. They are rarely late. My sister has been getting on a coaster train at Hornsby every day for about 15 years now, and is rarely late for work.

There is a faster train from Newcastle to Central (picking up at Woy Woy) via Epping and Strathfield on the Northern Line - but I don't have those times on my mobile app.

There is only one line down from Newcastle and the Central Coast. It splits into two lines at Hornsby. One veers off to the left and goes to the city via Gordon and the other veers off right and goes to the city via Strathfield.

It is pretty good because you have the option of two routes leading to the same destination. Example: if one line has delays, you can just change trains at Hornsby and go the other route.

If I lived on the Central Coast and worked in Hornsby, then I would be more than happy to drive everyday – as in good flowing traffic takes around 45 minutes to drive.

But I would NOT be driving into the CBD from the Central Coast – it would be horrific.

You could even drive to Hornsby and then get the train to the CBD; as many people do.

There are a number of options available – so don’t panic or limit yourself.

Until recently my commute to work by car was only 8 minutes (fantastic)…… but now my commute is 90 minutes. My longest commute ever was 2 hours.

Have a look at North Gosford or Kariong on the Central Coast. You can still pick up a large family modern home (with built-in wardrobes, ensuite bathrooms, a garden, inground swimming pool, spa, garage, workshop, etc…) for way less than $750K. It is a great lifestyle up there, cheaper than Sydney and you are never far from a beach or National Park in summer.

However, I suggest doing what I did when I first arrived - I booked into long stay accommodation for three months - and each weekend took the train or drove round the suburbs exploring and finding the "perfect" place to live in regards to where working etc...

Someone suggested Tamarama near Bondi to me and I liked the beach. But the house prices were beyond me, the crowds annoying and the traffic into the city was hideous beyond a nightmare. I eventually ended up in Galston (which I found by accident one weekend on a exploring trip) and it was affordable (then!), peaceful, rural and uncrowded.

It is all very well us giving you advice; but you really need to actually experience an area for yourself.

8 minutes to 90 minutes! That is a big increase! Is that from Galston to the City? I usually only hear about Galston when Ray Hadley is ranting about another idiot truckie who has ignored the warning signs about NOT heading down to the gorge. (I think he lives at Dural?)

I 'found' Glenorie last year, and thought how nice it was - like a 'proper' English village, with fields (though no stiles leading to public footpaths across them!) Come to think of it, I know a guy who works at Garden Island Dockyard and commutes from Glenorie, so I must ask him how the commute is? I worked at Garden Island myself and moved from Narrabeen to Surry Hills because I hated the commute. I must admit I was very anxious then about travelling on crowded buses and wanted to be somewhere I could walk to work. Looking back, I was in a bad way then, because I could not even get the train three stops from Central to Kings Cross, so, if I did not walk, I would get the 311 bus. Now, when I am working, it is in Penrith, the furthest I've ever commuted in my life - 55km. The Blue Mts train is an excellent service from Central to Penrith, circa 48 minutes and three stops, and only $2.50 maximum fare now I am a 'senior.'

I guess at Tamarama you would get drawn into the traffic from Bondi? I invariably get lost when I try to drive to Bronte via Tamarama. Actually, it's such a nice arvo, I think I shall go down to Bronte in a minute!

It's good advice about trying the commute for yourself. I'm biased/prejudiced because I still hate commuting. 50 minutes to Penrith on the train becomes 90 minutes with the walking and waiting for trains.

Perhaps my friend gets the same train as you, or your example. She likes to 'tuck' herself into a single seat. I remember having a drink with her one Saturday arvo, and walking back to the train with her and getting on to see her seat. Bloody woman told me off for talking in a 'quiet carriage!' Fair enough, once it has started, but at Central? Or perhaps I WAS in the wrong? (I'm trying to see both sides of an argument since I started my 'Critical Thinking' course at OUA.

Now, I've mentioned Saturday (and Sunday), that is another consideration about commuting by train if you have to work at the weekends, because that is when they often schedule trackwork. I won't go on Saturdays to Penrith if it means taking a bus, all or part of the way, and driving is just as unpleasant, if not more so on the weekends.

8 minutes to 90 minutes! That is a big increase!

Yes it is indeed.

I previously lived within walking distance to work..........but very lazy so I actually drove! :laugh:

It was wonderful; as I went home for my lunch break every day.

But due to circumstances beyond my control, I am now 90 mins away. I left home at 6 this morning and drove to the train station, then took a 15 min train trip, and then walked 15 mins to work. Arrived at work at 7.30am for a 8am start.

Previously I would leave home at 7.50am for an 8am start - so yes a huge change.

Yes it is indeed.

I previously lived within walking distance to work..........but very lazy so I actually drove! [emoji23]

It was wonderful; as I went home for my lunch break every day.

But due to circumstances beyond my control, I am now 90 mins away. I left home at 6 this morning and drove to the train station, then took a 15 min train trip, and then walked 15 mins to work. Arrived at work at 7.30am for a 8am start.

Previously I would leave home at 7.50am for an 8am start - so yes a huge change.

I was looking at Barcoo Rd in Roseville on Google Earth to do with another thread on here and I saw it has both homes and offices in same street, and I thought how good it would be to live opp my office. This is not a grim industrial area by the way.

When I work in Penrith I walk past all these offices on way to station and I wish I was working there. (Entirely likely the people who work there live at Penrith of course!)

Actually I was wrong. It only took 8 minutes when also driving hubby to bus stop. My home door to work door actually took 4 - 5 mins driving. Gosh I miss it.

I had job in 1974 5 min on bike or ten walk on bridleway to gravel pit where I worked for Ready Mix Concrete. Ask that area has been returned to more or less nature now.

Living and working in a village is great. I suppose my suburb could be called a village if u accept Cleveland St and South Dowling as "green belt?,"

We live in Leonay at the bottom of the Blue Mountains, and have plenty of friends who commute from the different places in the lower blue mountains to the city, the express trains take about 50 minutes into the CBD. Property prices are more reasonable here.

Well unless they live in one train station and work in the other, this isn't the commute is it?

Err well of course! Sorry thought that was obvious. I cannot give exact times; as I don't know which suburb people will end up in. It was just general guidance for the train trip - not set in stone for getting to the station, using the loo, buying a coffee, lining up for a ticket, etc.... I have two good friends on the central coast. One lives a 20 minute drive from the train station and the other lives opposite and has a 2 minute walk.

Personallly I never met anyone that commuted from Centrwl Coast in Sydney, not in five years of working for a large organisation. I think most would be horrified at the very idea.

OK well that is you. Personally I have met loads in all the places I have worked. My current job has an office of 30 people and 17 of them commute from the coast. I have lived in Sydney for almost 20 years. For 17 of those I caught the "coaster" train further down the line. There are thousands of people commuting daily with no problems.

More guidance:

According to city rail: 40,000 Central Coast residents commute daily to Sydney.

Most live there for the cheaper prices and lifestyle – of the ones I have met in the past 20 years (and there has been a LOT of them), the general attitude is it’s “gods own country” up there and they would not live anywhere else.

I was chatting to one of the coasters on the train recently, she lives in Daleys Point and works in North Sydney. Her train trip is actually 30 mins quicker than her colleague who drives daily from the closer Wahroonga.

When I first arrived, I lived in Potts Point. The only pro was the fantastic 20 minute walk to work. The cons were: noisy, busy, finding parking (even outside your own home) was a nightmare, pollution and drunken people at night. My most recent home was a 4 minute drive to work and that was obviously the pro, but the cons were: in a major bush fire region and expensive rents. My now experience is the con of a 90 min trip to work, but the major pro is free rent and laidback lifestyle.

You just need to weight up the pros and cons and make decisions on what is most important to you. Now while a 4 min drive to work was wonderful……. living bill, rent and mortgage free is even better in my opinion and so I am prepared to make the “sacrifice” of a longer commute daily.

But we are not talking about me. The OP asked the question about the Coast and I agree because it fits in with raising a family in nice surrounds. And quite frankly, $750,000 will buy you a shoe box in most parts of Sydney, but on the Central Coast you can still buy a large family house with all the trimmings.

If the Central Coast is deemed too far, then somewhere like Kellyville may suit. The con being no train service and heavy traffic into Sydney, the pro being they are selling brand new house and land packages up there presently for around $750,000.

Living bill, rent and mortgage free is even better in my opinion and so I am prepared to make the “sacrifice” of a longer commute daily.

Temporarily whilst finding your feet, you could also try:

https://www.aussiehousesitters.com.au/

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/house-and-pet-sitting-assignments/l/Australia/

http://www.housesitters.com.au/

http://mindahome.com.au/house-sitting-positions-australia.html

More guidance:

According to city rail: 40,000 Central Coast residents commute daily to Sydney.

Most live there for the cheaper prices and lifestyle – of the ones I have met in the past 20 years (and there has been a LOT of them), the general attitude is it’s “gods own country” up there and they would not live anywhere else.

I am shocked at this statistic!! I guess it must be true but after 10 years of working in the city I have only come across a handful of people who live on the Central Coast and commute daily, and not one of them was happy about the commute. But it's true, pretty much all Aussies, no matter where they live, live in "God's country"! :-)

I am shocked at this statistic!! I guess it must be true but after 10 years of working in the city I have only come across a handful of people who live on the Central Coast and commute daily, and not one of them was happy about the commute. But it's true, pretty much all Aussies, no matter where they live, live in "God's country"! :-)

The statistic is from a City Rail financial revenue report - so pretty spot on I should think.

I am surprised you guys have met so few coasties.

I have been catching the "coaster" train for many years and chat to people on the train. Plus all the jobs I have had with coasties working there. In my experience, people rarely complain about the commute. Most people are happy with the trade-off and don't mind the commute. Of course, I am sure they would jump at the chance of working closer to home......then again wouldn't we all.

Maybe it depends on the person. Born and breed coasties are use to it I guess. The main complainers would be newbies and (sorry to say) poms! :wink:

I actually know someone who commutes from Newcastle every day and he says its fine!!! Personally that is far too far for me, but he has been doing it daily for 15 years now and is use to it. Every person is different and each to their own.

And oh yes "God's Own Country" seems to exist everywhere! :smile: The Central Coast and The Shire (Sutherland) are pretty much obsessed with the term!!

Archived